AI-yi-yi

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: AI-yi-yi

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
23 May 2023, 5:19pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
23 May 2023, 4:50pm
Kory wrote:
23 May 2023, 4:36pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
19 May 2023, 9:34am
Silent Majority wrote:
19 May 2023, 9:14am

Not a single government on this planet is prepared for the obvious conclusion that work is about to end as we know it and a big chunk of humanity is not going to be able to sell their labour any more. A utopia of sorts is, at last, just within reach and the powers that be will only permit a desperate, struggling anti-human dystopia.
One of my very tentative predictions of the pandemic's long-term effects is the introduction of a universal basic income. Similar to how the welfare state was unimaginable and, believed, unworkable before the Depression, afterwards it was just common sense and seen as a means of solving capitalism's paradox (as American economists and sociologists believed in the 1950s). The economic shutdown in the initial stage of the pandemic and the government payments to keep people from being evicted, starving, etc will be the blueprint. That's my prediction—tentative, again—in terms of the pandemic's legacy.
I wish I had nearly this kind of optimism. I have another friend that's convinced we're going to have the 4-day workweek within 5 years. I just don't see it happening with either of these because all that money and labor could be benefiting the CEOs instead of the workers. Their short-term benefit just seems like a higher priority and damn the consequences.
The thing is, the economy in North America is driven by consumption, so even business understands how important it is that people have money to redistribute back into their pockets.
I'm far from knowledgeable about economics, but how does this work when so much of the country lives paycheck to paycheck and can barely even pay rent, much less go shopping?
And as that crisis gains momentum, it's another argument for a guaranteed income.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
23 May 2023, 6:00pm
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
19 May 2023, 9:34am

One of my very tentative predictions of the pandemic's long-term effects is the introduction of a universal basic income. Similar to how the welfare state was unimaginable and, believed, unworkable before the Depression, afterwards it was just common sense and seen as a means of solving capitalism's paradox (as American economists and sociologists believed in the 1950s). The economic shutdown in the initial stage of the pandemic and the government payments to keep people from being evicted, starving, etc will be the blueprint. That's my prediction—tentative, again—in terms of the pandemic's legacy.
I wish I had nearly this kind of optimism. I have another friend that's convinced we're going to have the 4-day workweek within 5 years. I just don't see it happening with either of these because all that money and labor could be benefiting the CEOs instead of the workers. Their short-term benefit just seems like a higher priority and damn the consequences.
The thing is, the economy in North America is driven by consumption, so even business understands how important it is that people have money to redistribute back into their pockets.
I'm far from knowledgeable about economics, but how does this work when so much of the country lives paycheck to paycheck and can barely even pay rent, much less go shopping?
And as that crisis gains momentum, it's another argument for a guaranteed income.
I'd imagine there's going to be another Jan 6. situation if they really start the ball rolling on that from the people that don't want to pay their taxes for "other people to sit around and do nothing."
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
23 May 2023, 6:13pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
23 May 2023, 6:00pm
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:

I'd imagine there's going to be another Jan 6. situation if they really start the ball rolling on that from the people that don't want to pay their taxes for "other people to sit around and do nothing."
In the US, yeah, a definite possibility. Canada, less likely.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/ ... scape-mode
The solution to the modern world’s explosion of tech challenges, he argues, is not government, but in personal choices and responsibility.

The only way to rebel is to be human and aware, Rushkoff says. “Be social, get your feet on the ground, make eye contact, have sex, meet people, breathe the air. The more real-life ballast you have, the less this brittle, ideological, abstracted, social media-mediated universe bears upon your daily existence.”
This is both a punk and a boot-strap position—I’ll survive by relying on myself. But going up against huge systems, structures, and ideologies, it’s more the position of the martyr.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
29 May 2023, 4:23pm
Hello,

This is an interesting idea: "I’m not worried about AI getting to where we are now. I’m much more worried about the possibility of us reverting to where AI is."

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

gkbill wrote:
29 May 2023, 6:44pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
29 May 2023, 4:23pm
Hello,

This is an interesting idea: "I’m not worried about AI getting to where we are now. I’m much more worried about the possibility of us reverting to where AI is."
It's suggestive of the technology's capacity to spread fallacies, via intentional manipulation outside parties or not. We're already inundated by lies spread online and this will amp it up further.

But this experiment confirms that I'll be using this in lieu of a term paper this upcoming year. I'll have students pick their topic, have ChatABCeasyas123 write a paper on it, and then have the students write a paper critiquing it. That'll still require they do historiographical research, but it'll be more purposeful than the usual term paper (which is normally an exercise in reaching the page/word count).

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

Per AI, this is supposedly what the "average" person in each US state should look like.

https://www.buzzfeed.com/sarathompson1/ ... s-ai-image
God, what a mess, on the ladder of success
Where you take one step and miss the whole first rung

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Sparky wrote:
23 Jun 2023, 7:10pm
Per AI, this is supposedly what the "average" person in each US state should look like.

https://www.buzzfeed.com/sarathompson1/ ... s-ai-image
Lmao, the Colorado guy looks just like a friend of mine (from Colorado)
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Hello,

This is not as good as I had hoped for when I learned about it.

https://wingate.zoom.us/rec/share/aTr_w ... 6KKvepJ0Mr

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

What AI thinks the average person in each of the listed careers looks like. I have to say the baristas spot on in my mind.

https://www.buzzfeed.com/angelicaamarti ... person-job
God, what a mess, on the ladder of success
Where you take one step and miss the whole first rung

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Sparky wrote:
28 Jun 2023, 11:10am
What AI thinks the average person in each of the listed careers looks like. I have to say the baristas spot on in my mind.

https://www.buzzfeed.com/angelicaamarti ... person-job
AI leans very white and low BMI.

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Clearly pulling from these industry's own marketing materials. Shit in, shit out.

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/