AI-yi-yi

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Re: AI-yi-yi

Post by Flex »

Thinking about it more, maybe something along the lines of whether if - as a reader - AI gets to the point where writing by AI is virtually indistinguishable from writing authored by a human (be it fiction or nonfiction) - whether it will still be important for works to be written by people at all. I.E. does the role of creator matter?

Addendum: and I guess a corollary to that question is whether AI will ever truly be able to accomplish what that question presupposes and why or why not?
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Mimi
Goddess of the Underworld

Post by Mimi »

Flex wrote:
02 Mar 2023, 11:48am
Thinking about it more, maybe something along the lines of whether if - as a reader - AI gets to the point where writing by AI is virtually indistinguishable from writing authored by a human (be it fiction or nonfiction) - whether it will still be important for works to be written by people at all. I.E. does the role of creator matter?

Addendum: and I guess a corollary to that question is whether AI will ever truly be able to accomplish what that question presupposes and why or why not?
This is my worst nightmare. :cry: :angry:

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
02 Mar 2023, 11:48am

Barthes already explained the death of the author a long time ago. This is just severing the head from the body and burying them separately. :shifty:

But there's all kinds of arguments from audience research that claims reading/viewing/listening is where meaning is created. It's not in the text. The author can steer towards preferred readings, but the actual meaning is created by the consumer (i.e., that consumption is, ironically, a productive labour). If that's the case, it's not that big a deal because humans are still doing that final key step.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Hello,

A different take (I'm still not sure about this take, though):

https://messaging-custom-newsletters.ny ... 8aa88c3feb

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

gkbill wrote:
02 Mar 2023, 12:27pm
Hello,

A different take (I'm still not sure about this take, though):

https://messaging-custom-newsletters.ny ... 8aa88c3feb
Ah, AI is going to accomplish Marx's dream of liberating us from oppressive work, so that we can devote ourselves to so much leisure we'll puke.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Mimi

Post by Mimi »

:curses1: :curses1: :curses1: :curses1:

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Discussion about AI was a bit lacklustre and went off-topic in a hurry—my principle of organic and free exchange can be a killer when you're looking for a targeted discussion—but in general the mood was dreary, tho specifically upbeat about artistic possibilities.

Mimi

Post by Mimi »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
02 Mar 2023, 7:22pm
Discussion about AI was a bit lacklustre and went off-topic in a hurry—my principle of organic and free exchange can be a killer when you're looking for a targeted discussion—but in general the mood was dreary, tho specifically upbeat about artistic possibilities.
It never goes as you want.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Mimi wrote:
02 Mar 2023, 11:22pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
02 Mar 2023, 7:22pm
It never goes as you want.
Overall, I continue to feel validated about letting the discussions go where they go, to let the students figure out what they want to talk about. I sometimes push a little in one direction or another, but mostly trust the process.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

The evil momentum of it all: https://archive.ph/WVdIi

Mimi

Post by Mimi »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
13 Mar 2023, 6:33am
The evil momentum of it all: https://archive.ph/WVdIi
Well, that was a downer to read. :cry:

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

https://www.zdnet.com/article/gpt-4-unv ... e-is-here/
According to OpenAI, GPT-4 scored in the top 10% of a simulated bar exam, while GPT-3.5 scored around the bottom 10%

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Haven't read this yet, but a long essay on the harm of corporatized AI: https://www.theguardian.com/technology/ ... -e-chatgpt

Mimi

Post by Mimi »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
15 Mar 2023, 8:22am
https://www.zdnet.com/article/gpt-4-unv ... e-is-here/
According to OpenAI, GPT-4 scored in the top 10% of a simulated bar exam, while GPT-3.5 scored around the bottom 10%
I thought I responded to this yesterday. wtf?

Anyway, that's scary.

Mimi

Post by Mimi »