AI-yi-yi

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

AI-yi-yi

Post by Dr. Medulla »

We've been talking sporadically about AI and its social effects in other threads, and presumably the topic will come up again, so here's a thread for all AI discussion, serious and not.

Such as AI-generated Nirvana songs:
https://www.ajournalofmusicalthings.com ... etty-good/

Okay, bot, think you're so good? Create a song that mixes DMB, TGtBatQ, and KISS … but doesn't make me and revbob want to go on a killing spree.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Mimi
Goddess of the Underworld

Re: AI-yi-yi

Post by Mimi »

Maybe Inder could move all those posts over to this thread.

Anyway, that song sucked. Was it even saying words or just mumbling?

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
01 Mar 2023, 10:21am
We've been talking sporadically about AI and its social effects in other threads, and presumably the topic will come up again, so here's a thread for all AI discussion, serious and not.

Okay, bot, think you're so good? Create a song that mixes DMB, TGtBatQ, and KISS … but doesn't make me and revbob want to go on a killing spree.
Cant be done.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Mimi wrote:
01 Mar 2023, 10:54am
Maybe Inder could move all those posts over to this thread.
Here are the links to the most recent discussion:
http://www.clashcity.com/boards/viewtop ... 17#p672517
http://www.clashcity.com/boards/viewtop ... 97#p672697

And a slightly older one:
http://www.clashcity.com/boards/viewtop ... 87#p670287
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
01 Mar 2023, 11:05am
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Cant be done.
But if it could, I'd say the game is done.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
01 Mar 2023, 11:18am
revbob wrote:
01 Mar 2023, 11:05am
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Cant be done.
But if it could, I'd say the game is done.
Its called a lobotomy .

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

From what I've seen, AI art works by taking pieces of whatever art it can find based on the prompt and mashing it all together, to the point where I've seen people post AI art they've discovered in the wild within which they've noticed their own work kind of blatantly obviously ganked. Whereas a couple other people I was talking to said it doesn't really work like that, that it works the way a human artist would, by being influenced by other artists and using those techniques in its own art. I don't know how to tell which side is lying or misinformed.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Kory wrote:
01 Mar 2023, 6:19pm
From what I've seen, AI art works by taking pieces of whatever art it can find based on the prompt and mashing it all together, to the point where I've seen people post AI art they've discovered in the wild within which they've noticed their own work kind of blatantly obviously ganked. Whereas a couple other people I was talking to said it doesn't really work like that, that it works the way a human artist would, by being influenced by other artists and using those techniques in its own art. I don't know how to tell which side is lying or misinformed.
My rule of thumb is that whoever is on the side of the silicon valley psychopathic freaks is probably lying.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
01 Mar 2023, 6:52pm
Kory wrote:
My rule of thumb is that whoever is on the side of the silicon valley psychopathic freaks is probably lying.
That's a rule of thumb that can be treated as an axiom.

Mimi

Post by Mimi »

Flex wrote:
01 Mar 2023, 6:52pm
Kory wrote:
Good, yes good.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Last term and this in my seminars, I've been giving students a warm-up question or exercise rather than getting right into the discussion. Something to relax people as well as allow late-comers not to miss the main event. Today I'm going to ask students about their views on AI and what they think the implications will be. Any thoughts/questions I might ask along the way?

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
02 Mar 2023, 9:03am
Last term and this in my seminars, I've been giving students a warm-up question or exercise rather than getting right into the discussion. Something to relax people as well as allow late-comers not to miss the main event. Today I'm going to ask students about their views on AI and what they think the implications will be. Any thoughts/questions I might ask along the way?
Once/if you establish that there are potential negative social consequences to AI, I'd be curious to ask whether any students believe there's any role in government regulation of the development or implementation of AI or whether companies should be liable for the "actions" and of their AI.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
02 Mar 2023, 10:16am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
02 Mar 2023, 9:03am
Once/if you establish that there are potential negative social consequences to AI, I'd be curious to ask whether any students believe there's any role in government regulation of the development or implementation of AI or whether companies should be liable for the "actions" and of their AI.
I was going to ask about solutions to mitigate the negative effects, so, yes, I’ll see if they see a role for government. Given that almost all the students are Canadian, I expect a greater faith in governmental solutions.

Mimi

Post by Mimi »

On a personal note, I would like to know how they feel about the ethics behind it. Do they feel this is thievery, laziness, taking a short cut, etc?

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Mimi wrote:
02 Mar 2023, 11:23am
On a personal note, I would like to know how they feel about the ethics behind it. Do they feel this is thievery, laziness, taking a short cut, etc?
Oh, you’d better believe I’ll raise that question!