AI-yi-yi

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Mimi
Goddess of the Underworld

Re: AI-yi-yi

Post by Mimi »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
10 May 2023, 6:23am
So much fire and hands, weird hands.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Where it's at after a year of the AI beast on campus: https://archive.ph/8iDNJ
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
17 May 2023, 8:05am
Hello,

I think the point about teachers having to adapt is most relevant for my situation. Most of the lab reports involve specifics to the subjects and results, so I'm not worried as much there. Writing prompts in my other classes have been and will continue to be very specific. All other writing involves article critiques from specific articles. I think I'm pretty sae from ChatGPT. I can see students using Wordtune rather than ChatGPT - the real danger there is becoming totally dependent on using it to polish everything.

Adaption will be crucial. Provide unique writing prompts, ask specific questions, etc.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

gkbill wrote:
17 May 2023, 10:43am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Hello,

I think the point about teachers having to adapt is most relevant for my situation. Most of the lab reports involve specifics to the subjects and results, so I'm not worried as much there. Writing prompts in my other classes have been and will continue to be very specific. All other writing involves article critiques from specific articles. I think I'm pretty sae from ChatGPT. I can see students using Wordtune rather than ChatGPT - the real danger there is becoming totally dependent on using it to polish everything.

Adaption will be crucial. Provide unique writing prompts, ask specific questions, etc.
Since most of my writing assignments are book reviews—term papers, I’ve come to believe, aren’t an especially useful pedagogical exercise—and take great pains in explaining how a book review should be written, right down to a format that I expect them to follow until they become skilled enough to go jazz, AI isn’t a huge threat … yet. But if I do have a class where a research paper makes sense, I might build into it all an interview component. Which, really, isn’t a bad thing either, to promote more human connection between teacher, student, and work. As terrible as AI is overall, it’s a good thing if we need to be more conscious about our methods and the rationale. “But that’s the way I’ve always done it” isn’t a good argument.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
17 May 2023, 10:57am
gkbill wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Hello,

Since most of my writing assignments are book reviews—term papers, I’ve come to believe, aren’t an especially useful pedagogical exercise—and take great pains in explaining how a book review should be written, right down to a format that I expect them to follow until they become skilled enough to go jazz, AI isn’t a huge threat … yet. But if I do have a class where a research paper makes sense, I might build into it all an interview component. Which, really, isn’t a bad thing either, to promote more human connection between teacher, student, and work. As terrible as AI is overall, it’s a good thing if we need to be more conscious about our methods and the rationale. “But that’s the way I’ve always done it” isn’t a good argument.
Hello,

If you assign a research paper, you could require students include a few (5?) direct text citations. I don't think ChatGPT will do that - although I'm not sure. Oral exams would be the best but that would be too time-intensive. I assign an essay question in my Psychology of Sport and Exercise undergrad class, I give them the question in the class prior to the exam and tell them they can write up an answer, but they can bring no notes to class - they need "walking around knowledge"; study their answer sufficiently to reproduce it verbatim. If they learn the material from my class notes or AI, so be it - they've learned the material. It's more about application anyway.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

gkbill wrote:
17 May 2023, 11:47am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
gkbill wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Hello,

Hello,

If you assign a research paper, you could require students include a few (5?) direct text citations. I don't think ChatGPT will do that - although I'm not sure. Oral exams would be the best but that would be too time-intensive. I assign an essay question in my Psychology of Sport and Exercise undergrad class, I give them the question in the class prior to the exam and tell them they can write up an answer, but they can bring no notes to class - they need "walking around knowledge"; study their answer sufficiently to reproduce it verbatim. If they learn the material from my class notes or AI, so be it - they've learned the material. It's more about application anyway.
With any history term paper, there's an expectation of some primary research, which AI, I suspect, isn't up to. That helps a great deal.

And you're right about learning stuff one way or another. Even with textbook lecturers, where you can get by not going to class if you follow along in the text, does generate some degree of education, tho it raises the question what the instructor is even doing there then.

The biggest thing I hate about all this, and I'm sure I've mentioned it before, is that it pushes me into a default position of "students are going to cheat and I have to compensate for that." Yes, some students have always cheated, but they were a distinct minority. My fear is that we come to expect a too-many-to-ignore number will cheat. And I hate sacrificing that trust that I go into with any class.

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
17 May 2023, 12:05pm
gkbill wrote:
17 May 2023, 11:47am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
gkbill wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Hello,

Hello,

With any history term paper, there's an expectation of some primary research, which AI, I suspect, isn't up to. That helps a great deal.

And you're right about learning stuff one way or another. Even with textbook lecturers, where you can get by not going to class if you follow along in the text, does generate some degree of education, tho it raises the question what the instructor is even doing there then.

The biggest thing I hate about all this, and I'm sure I've mentioned it before, is that it pushes me into a default position of "students are going to cheat and I have to compensate for that." Yes, some students have always cheated, but they were a distinct minority. My fear is that we come to expect a too-many-to-ignore number will cheat. And I hate sacrificing that trust that I go into with any class.
Hello,

I have my exams on Canvas. About 80% of the exam is short answer, fill-in-the-blank, and multiple choice. A colleague is very concerned about cheating on Canvas exams and expresses this to his classes. If you look at het grades of my classes, the Canvas scores on the sort answer, etc. are very average - very similar to pre-Canvas exams. I'm amazed at this. I couldn't prove kids are cheating - there's no statistical evidence. I'd bet there are one or two who have peeked at something during an exam but by-and-large it seems most kids don't cheat. My colleague does have problems and I sometimes wonder if it's because he brings up cheating - almost like "I'm expecting it, so don't let me down."

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

gkbill wrote:
17 May 2023, 12:37pm
My colleague does have problems and I sometimes wonder if it's because he brings up cheating - almost like "I'm expecting it, so don't let me down."
That's an interesting issue chiefly because a colleague who is nearing retirement is constantly grumbling about students and the quality of their work, etc etc. And, sure, there are always human slugs and sloths, but I'm always impressed by insights and efforts of so many. I sometime get a kind of retro-envy when I see someone figure stuff out at 21 where I wouldn't have, or they write so beautifully, so much more coherently than I did. Doubtless my colleague and I are seeing what we want to see—if I'm a bit of a grumbler by nature, when it comes to teaching I'm stupidly optimistic and cheerful—but how much does our approach in the classroom and feedback and all that feed into the results of the work? Not that I'm suggesting I'm somehow willing people to be better, but I would like to think my dorky enthusiasm does make people want to try a bit harder.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

So, The Big Bang Theory was written by robots all along?
https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radi ... o-write-tv

coffeepotman
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by coffeepotman »

OK, this is just WRONG

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

coffeepotman wrote:
18 May 2023, 4:57pm
OK, this is just WRONG
*shudder* What we really need is AI giving us Paul doing every Clash song!

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

coffeepotman wrote:
OK, this is just WRONG
Listening to it now, just doesn't sound right to my ears. This AI stuff is pretty scary.

Just came across this one as well

God, what a mess, on the ladder of success
Where you take one step and miss the whole first rung

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Sparky wrote:
18 May 2023, 6:53pm
coffeepotman wrote:
OK, this is just WRONG
Listening to it now, just doesn't sound right to my ears. This AI stuff is pretty scary.

Just came across this one as well

Fuck this shit.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Mimi
Goddess of the Underworld

Post by Mimi »

*screams into a pillow*

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

Fucking hell, it hurts when it's close to home. I can't take part in a culture that thinks this is clever or cute.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/