AI-yi-yi

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Inder
corecore vanguard

Re: AI-yi-yi

Post by Inder »

coffeepotman wrote:
18 May 2023, 4:57pm
OK, this is just WRONG
Silent Majority wrote:
19 May 2023, 2:14am
Fucking hell, it hurts when it's close to home. I can't take part in a culture that thinks this is clever or cute.
God I hate everything about all of this.

Just wait until someone marries this with the hologram stuff and we get the literal grateful dead on tour.

Mimi
Goddess of the Underworld

Post by Mimi »

Sparky wrote:
28 Jun 2023, 11:10am
What AI thinks the average person in each of the listed careers looks like. I have to say the baristas spot on in my mind.

https://www.buzzfeed.com/angelicaamarti ... person-job
smh and everyone is good looking. Also, influencer is an actual career path now?

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Mimi wrote:
28 Jun 2023, 12:27pm
Also, influencer is an actual career path now?
It's what the kids call a shill and a grifter.
"Ain't no party like an S Club party!'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
28 Jun 2023, 11:25am
Sparky wrote:
What AI thinks the average person in each of the listed careers looks like. I have to say the baristas spot on in my mind.

AI leans very white and low BMI.
Yeah, I notices that. The morticians reminded me of the Haunted Mansion employees at Disneyland.
God, what a mess, on the ladder of success
Where you take one step and miss the whole first rung

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

Mimi wrote:
28 Jun 2023, 12:27pm
Sparky wrote:

smh and everyone is good looking. Also, influencer is an actual career path now?
I think they're part time baristas, part time influencers.
God, what a mess, on the ladder of success
Where you take one step and miss the whole first rung

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

https://torontosun.com/news/weird/we-ar ... -100k-fans

Given that living influencers aren't much different than bots, this, weirdly, seems more honest.
"Ain't no party like an S Club party!'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
28 Jul 2023, 10:07am

Given that living influencers aren't much different than bots, this, weirdly, seems more honest.
Not that I'd given it thought before, but this has to be one of the "professions" most vulnerable to AI takeover right? I mean, if you follow an influencer who the fuck cares if they're real or AI? You just want hot consumer garbage funneled into your eyeballs.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
28 Jul 2023, 10:19am
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Not that I'd given it thought before, but this has to be one of the "professions" most vulnerable to AI takeover right? I mean, if you follow an influencer who the fuck cares if they're real or AI? You just want hot consumer garbage funneled into your eyeballs.
I have no idea the kind of person who follows an influencer, but is there some kind of fan-star imagined relationship, somewhat akin to fans of musicians? Not on the scale of Charles Manson thinking the Beatles were sending him in particular messages in their music, but that there is an emotional, fantasy-inflected relationship on the follower's part. If it's explicitly AI, that maybe goes out the window? I dunno, just thinking out loud because, as I said, I can't fathom people following someone hawking skin conditioner or shoes.

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
28 Jul 2023, 11:05am
Flex wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

I have no idea the kind of person who follows an influencer, but is there some kind of fan-star imagined relationship, somewhat akin to fans of musicians? Not on the scale of Charles Manson thinking the Beatles were sending him in particular messages in their music, but that there is an emotional, fantasy-inflected relationship on the follower's part. If it's explicitly AI, that maybe goes out the window? I dunno, just thinking out loud because, as I said, I can't fathom people following someone hawking skin conditioner or shoes.
Hello,

A major factor in becoming an influencer is perky breasts.

How many followers would this individual(?) have if there were no photos included? What is the breakdown of followers by gender? What percent of followers are lonely males?

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

gkbill wrote:
28 Jul 2023, 11:46am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
28 Jul 2023, 11:05am
Flex wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Hello,

A major factor in becoming an influencer is perky breasts.

How many followers would this individual(?) have if there were no photos included? What is the breakdown of followers by gender? What percent of followers are lonely males?
Yeah, I'm wholly ignorant about about the dynamics at work, but it does seem like there's an artificial or imagined relationship at work in a way that conventional advertising doesn't pursue.

weller259
Pitch Clock Appreciator
Location: He's A Real Nowhere Man, Sitting In His Nowhere Land

Post by weller259 »

From what I see there's still a little hope
That's if we don't hang from too much rope

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

While handwritten work and oral exams are solid ways to counter AI—and in the case of oral exams probably a better way of assessing how much a student understands—it'll be balanced by the amount of additional work it'll generate on both sides. A few months ago, Ontario announced that it was bringing back teaching cursive in schools, so it does raise the question of how competent in handwriting current students even are and the challenge of decoding their script. And oral exams have serious time challenges. Say you have 40 students and set aside 30-minute exams. That's 20 hours and somehow have to organize for all 40 students.

So, yeah, professors need to rethink grading and assignments in the wake of this temptation to cheat, but pretty much all options come with problems. Smaller class sizes would actually help, but that's unrealistic until upper years. Sigh.

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
13 Aug 2023, 8:37pm
While handwritten work and oral exams are solid ways to counter AI—and in the case of oral exams probably a better way of assessing how much a student understands—it'll be balanced by the amount of additional work it'll generate on both sides. A few months ago, Ontario announced that it was bringing back teaching cursive in schools, so it does raise the question of how competent in handwriting current students even are and the challenge of decoding their script. And oral exams have serious time challenges. Say you have 40 students and set aside 30-minute exams. That's 20 hours and somehow have to organize for all 40 students.

So, yeah, professors need to rethink grading and assignments in the wake of this temptation to cheat, but pretty much all options come with problems. Smaller class sizes would actually help, but that's unrealistic until upper years. Sigh.
Hello,

I will use questions that involve points from classroom discussions - hopefully specific points but we'll see.

Tests are live and in person although online (Canvas).

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

gkbill wrote:
13 Aug 2023, 9:06pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
13 Aug 2023, 8:37pm

Hello,

I will use questions that involve points from classroom discussions - hopefully specific points but we'll see.

Tests are live and in person although online (Canvas).
I think that's really what's crucial—stuff that is specific to the course and can't be obtained outside the lectures. As is, I have my final exams (take homes) require reference to multiple class lectures. If you don’t come to class, you literally cannot pass the exam.