AI-yi-yi

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Re: AI-yi-yi

Post by Silent Majority »

There go the customer service jobs, as prophesied.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/video/news/th ... ab4df&ei=5
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Silent Majority wrote:
19 May 2023, 4:22am

But think of all the free time those workers have now!
"Grab some wood, bub.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
19 May 2023, 8:40am
Silent Majority wrote:

Not a single government on this planet is prepared for the obvious conclusion that work is about to end as we know it and a big chunk of humanity is not going to be able to sell their labour any more. A utopia of sorts is, at last, just within reach and the powers that be will only permit a desperate, struggling anti-human dystopia.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Silent Majority wrote:
19 May 2023, 9:14am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:

Not a single government on this planet is prepared for the obvious conclusion that work is about to end as we know it and a big chunk of humanity is not going to be able to sell their labour any more. A utopia of sorts is, at last, just within reach and the powers that be will only permit a desperate, struggling anti-human dystopia.
One of my very tentative predictions of the pandemic's long-term effects is the introduction of a universal basic income. Similar to how the welfare state was unimaginable and, believed, unworkable before the Depression, afterwards it was just common sense and seen as a means of solving capitalism's paradox (as American economists and sociologists believed in the 1950s). The economic shutdown in the initial stage of the pandemic and the government payments to keep people from being evicted, starving, etc will be the blueprint. That's my prediction—tentative, again—in terms of the pandemic's legacy.

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:

Hello,

There will always be a market for Personal Assistants for the rich. It's no fun, it's not fulfilling, etc. to scream at a robot or computer screen when you can scream at a real person.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

gkbill wrote:
19 May 2023, 11:13am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:

Hello,

There will always be a market for Personal Assistants for the rich. It's no fun, it's not fulfilling, etc. to scream at a robot or computer screen when you can scream at a real person.
This … smells of truth.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Hello,

We are all on the same side here:

https://uproxx.com/indie/sting-not-impr ... -a-battle/

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

gkbill wrote:
22 May 2023, 5:25pm
Hello,

*heavy sigh* I guess we can't be overly picky with our allies.

Mimi
Goddess of the Underworld

Post by Mimi »

gkbill wrote:
Hello,

I'll take it.

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

gkbill wrote:
Hello,

Between this and the extemely amusing cameo in Only Murders in the Building, I've warmed to Sting just the tiniest bit.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Flex wrote:
23 May 2023, 12:10am
gkbill wrote:
Hello,

Between this and the extemely amusing cameo in Only Murders in the Building, I've warmed to Sting just the tiniest bit.
It was his album of John Dowland songs that did it for me.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
19 May 2023, 9:34am
Silent Majority wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:

One of my very tentative predictions of the pandemic's long-term effects is the introduction of a universal basic income. Similar to how the welfare state was unimaginable and, believed, unworkable before the Depression, afterwards it was just common sense and seen as a means of solving capitalism's paradox (as American economists and sociologists believed in the 1950s). The economic shutdown in the initial stage of the pandemic and the government payments to keep people from being evicted, starving, etc will be the blueprint. That's my prediction—tentative, again—in terms of the pandemic's legacy.
I wish I had nearly this kind of optimism. I have another friend that's convinced we're going to have the 4-day workweek within 5 years. I just don't see it happening with either of these because all that money and labor could be benefiting the CEOs instead of the workers. The short-term gain of the rich just seems like a higher priority and damn the consequences.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
23 May 2023, 4:36pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:

I wish I had nearly this kind of optimism. I have another friend that's convinced we're going to have the 4-day workweek within 5 years. I just don't see it happening with either of these because all that money and labor could be benefiting the CEOs instead of the workers. Their short-term benefit just seems like a higher priority and damn the consequences.
The thing is, the economy in North America is driven by consumption, so even business understands how important it is that people have money to redistribute back into their pockets. As jobs disappear as a matter of structural change, whatever labour cost savings are threatened by fewer consumers. The corporate tyrants were evaluating the effects of the pandemic, too, and the threats and opportunities to future business.

But, again, I'm not saying this is definitely going to happen, only that this kind of crisis always changes greater social and economic relationships. The world after a crisis never looks the same as it did before; it bears the effects of the crisis. So a longer-lasting change rooted in the reaction to the shutdown seems a reasonable guess.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
23 May 2023, 4:50pm
Kory wrote:
23 May 2023, 4:36pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

I wish I had nearly this kind of optimism. I have another friend that's convinced we're going to have the 4-day workweek within 5 years. I just don't see it happening with either of these because all that money and labor could be benefiting the CEOs instead of the workers. Their short-term benefit just seems like a higher priority and damn the consequences.
The thing is, the economy in North America is driven by consumption, so even business understands how important it is that people have money to redistribute back into their pockets.
I'm far from knowledgeable about economics, but how does this work when so much of the country lives paycheck to paycheck and can barely even pay rent, much less go shopping?