The Hiking Thread

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Re: The Hiking Thread

Post by WestwayKid »

gkbill wrote:
08 May 2023, 11:03am
WestwayKid wrote:
08 May 2023, 10:50am
I did it! It was tough. we caught the 7am shuttle to the South Kaibab Trailhead. The weather was pleasant, but cool. We started out the strong. The hike to Cedar Ridge was nice. We took a break there and continued on to Skeleton Point, where we took another break and saw our first glimpse of the Colorado. The next section was tough, with a lot of steep switchbacks. The rough cut stairs were hard - each one put a lot of pressure on the legs and knees. My 66 year old uncle went with us and while he thought he was in decent shape, he began to falter around that point and fell further and further beyond. My sister, my nephew, and I would sit and wait for him to catch up. He was really struggling by the time we got to The Tipoff, which is the start of the final 2 miles down to the bottom. We decided that he would sit and rest for 45 minutes with my sister, while my nephew and I would get to the bottom to secure our campsite at the Bright Angel Campground.

My sister and uncle made it into camp about 2.5 hours later. We had a nice night at the campground, including stew at the Phantom Ranch Canteen. It was the first night I'd slept in a tent in ages, but I slept okay.

We were up by 6 and on the trail by 6:30am. I found the Bright Angel Trail to be more pleasant at first because you get to hike alongside a creek. We hit the first rest point - Havasupai Garden - and took a good rest. My uncle was doing better, but moving slow. We worked out during the next section that my nephew would forge ahead, my sister and I would move steadily in the middle and then we'd wait for my uncle at each stop. That took us to the 3 Mile Rest House and then then 1.5 Mile Rest House. By the time we got there - I was beat. I was fine from a cardio standpoint, but my legs were so tired. We pressed on and made it to the top. Crossing the threshold of the trailhead was incredible.

Physically, it was the hardest thing I've ever done. I'm thankful I took it seriously, working to get myself into shape. I can see why they call it one of the hardest hikes in the US and in the summer months - I don't know how people do it. It was in the 80s and the heat felt beyond oppressive at times.

The natural beauty was unmatched. I kept taking breaks to look around. There were times where it felt so rugged, so remote. I want to keep hiking for sure. I don't know if I'd do the Grand Canyon again. The traditional rim to rim is intriguing (it's impossible right now as the North Kaibab Trail is closed until further notice due to weather related damage), but I think there are other hikes I'd like to try first.
Hello,

Congrats! The Grand Canyon is amazingly beautiful. Who'd think you could stare at a hole in the ground for hours? When I ran it, I wasn't aware you could get food at the campground. Rim-to-rim-to-rim was a real challenge. I was in pretty good shape and ran most of the day finishing up around 11:00 pm. I was amazed as there were still people hiking well after dark.

Take a day off. Well done.
The "food in the campground" became somewhat of an inside joke with us. It had to be booked ahead of time - $50 a person - and it was not fancy. Stew, a very basic salad, cornbread, and a small slab of brownie. That said - we got to eat at the bottom of the Grand Canyon in a historic dining hall with a bunch of friendly strangers - so it was worth it. I think the best part was heading to the canteen when we completed the South Kaibab for a cold glass of lemonade!!

Also, I don't want to go near a Clif Bar for a long time.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

I will say that I feel like I caught the hiking bug. I want to keep doing it. I felt like a real newbie when we started out. All my gear was shiny and new, but when I walked out of that canyon - I felt like I'd been initiated.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

WWK - I've really enjoyed following your adventures on FB. Especially from my couch. :mrgreen:

Way to go - truly incredible!
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

Went for a local hike today at Carbon Canyon Regional Park. There's a grove of coastal redwoods, butterfly garden and lots of wildflowers to enjoy.
Attachments
2.JPG
2.JPG (125.36 KiB) Viewed 633 times
1.JPG
1.JPG (105.33 KiB) Viewed 633 times
God, what a mess, on the ladder of success
Where you take one step and miss the whole first rung

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

More pics from Carbon Canyon Regional Park
Attachments
4.JPG
4.JPG (95.54 KiB) Viewed 633 times
3.JPG
3.JPG (124.05 KiB) Viewed 633 times

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

Couple of more pics from Carbon Canyon Regional Park
Attachments
6.JPG
6.JPG (121.48 KiB) Viewed 633 times
5.JPG
5.JPG (72.26 KiB) Viewed 633 times

Mimi
Goddess of the Underworld

Post by Mimi »

Nice!

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Hello,

This looks very nice.

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Never mind, lock the thread:
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
23 Oct 2023, 12:52am
Satire?
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Flex

Post by Flex »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
23 Oct 2023, 6:17am
Flex wrote:
Satire?
If I had to guess, yes. But that's an extremely low confidence guess.

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
23 Oct 2023, 7:10am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Flex wrote:
Satire?
I checked out what seems to be their Substack. If it's satire, it's a very big project.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Flex

Post by Flex »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
23 Oct 2023, 7:28am
Flex wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Flex wrote:
Satire?
I checked out what seems to be their Substack. If it's satire, it's a very big project.
Yeah, looking at it more, I think satire was a pretty optimistic hope on my part.

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
23 Oct 2023, 9:26am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
23 Oct 2023, 7:28am
Flex wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Flex wrote:
Satire?
Yeah, looking at it more, I think satire was a pretty optimistic hope on my part.
I enjoy the juxtaposition of someone decrying hiking as hostile to the environment against a photo of them holding a plastic coffee cup.

Flex

Post by Flex »

The fam went on a "first Day hike" today, which is (national, I believe) program of state parks offering guided hikes and activities and whatnot at various parks on January 1st. We have a real nice one near us that I discovered last summer called Castlewood Canyon State Park which was offering some guided hikes (and homemade soups and cookies at the Visitor Center, really nice). Anyways, forgot the hiking backpack so Little Duder ended up hiking on his own power almost the entirety of the 2.2.mile loop we went on, with me carrying him for not more than a hundred yards or so right before we got back to the car. Incredibly impressive performance and definitely his longest home yet. Seemed to enjoy himself pretty much the whole way too.

Pex Lives!