The Hiking Thread

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: The Hiking Thread

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Great way to start the new year. And congrats to Robot Jr for walking most of it himself—that's no minor accomplishment!

Also, not much snow on the ground. Is that normal?
"Ain't no party like an S Club party!'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
02 Jan 2024, 8:02am
Great way to start the new year. And congrats to Robot Jr for walking most of it himself—that's no minor accomplishment!

Yeah, were in a below average year for snow. Not uncommon for us in El Nino years, but exacerbated by climate change.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
02 Jan 2024, 9:33am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
02 Jan 2024, 8:02am

Yeah, were in a below average year for snow. Not uncommon for us in El Nino years, but exacerbated by climate change.
Same here. We had one (two?) snowfalls in Nov/Dec and it's all gone. My niece, her husband, and kids from Australia came to Canada in December specifically for the kids to experience snow and it was a big fat dud on that front.
"Ain't no party like an S Club party!'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

I'll second what Doc said, fantastic way to start the new year, plus teaching your son about the joys of the outdoors.
God, what a mess, on the ladder of success
Where you take one step and miss the whole first rung

Flex

Post by Flex »

Cheers and thanks, gang

Pex Lives!

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Flex wrote:
01 Jan 2024, 10:02pm
The fam went on a "first Day hike" today, which is (national, I believe) program of state parks offering guided hikes and activities and whatnot at various parks on January 1st. We have a real nice one near us that I discovered last summer called Castlewood Canyon State Park which was offering some guided hikes (and homemade soups and cookies at the Visitor Center, really nice). Anyways, forgot the hiking backpack so Little Duder ended up hiking on his own power almost the entirety of the 2.2.mile loop we went on, with me carrying him for not more than a hundred yards or so right before we got back to the car. Incredibly impressive performance and definitely his longest home yet. Seemed to enjoy himself pretty much the whole way too.

What the picture doesn't show is junior is actually pulling a sleigh with Mr and Mrs Flex yelling "faster, faster" while drinking brandy.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
02 Jan 2024, 11:39am
Flex wrote:
The fam went on a "first Day hike" today, which is (national, I believe) program of state parks offering guided hikes and activities and whatnot at various parks on January 1st. We have a real nice one near us that I discovered last summer called Castlewood Canyon State Park which was offering some guided hikes (and homemade soups and cookies at the Visitor Center, really nice). Anyways, forgot the hiking backpack so Little Duder ended up hiking on his own power almost the entirety of the 2.2.mile loop we went on, with me carrying him for not more than a hundred yards or so right before we got back to the car. Incredibly impressive performance and definitely his longest home yet. Seemed to enjoy himself pretty much the whole way too.

What the picture doesn't show is junior is actually pulling a sleigh with Mr and Mrs Flex yelling "faster, faster" while drinking brandy.

You're off by just a bit. Flex wouldn't let Mrs. Flex ride with him. She's pulling another sled that contains a trunk of his finery. In case a gala breaks out, you see.

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Flex wrote:

Very cool! And so impressive on the Duder's part. I bet he slept well last night.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

Flex

Post by Flex »

For Earth Day me and the little buddy went on a hike at one of our local state parks - and one of my favorites - Roxborough State Park. Really gorgeous place. Reminds me a little bit of Pinnacles National Park, for you Cali folks, in terms of the rock outcroppings and son forth. Anyways, they have a few gentle hikes that are perfect for the Little Duder. He did about 2.25 miles almost all under his own power. Proud of the little guy.

Pex Lives!

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Flex wrote:
22 Apr 2024, 10:59pm
For Earth Day me and the little buddy went on a hike at one of our local state parks - and one of my favorites - Roxborough State Park. Really gorgeous place. Reminds me a little bit of Pinnacles National Park, for you Cali folks, in terms of the rock outcroppings and son forth. Anyways, they have a few gentle hikes that are perfect for the Little Duder. He did about 2.25 miles almost all under his own power. Proud of the little guy.

Hello,

Well done. Chances are he'll be a lifetime hiker given his early start.

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Flex wrote:

Love it. He's such a cutie.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

Flex wrote:

Speaking from experience, you're making some lifelong memories by taking him on outdoor adventures at such a young age. My parents took us hiking/camping a lot as kids, now as adults, we take our extended families out almost every summer.
God, what a mess, on the ladder of success
Where you take one step and miss the whole first rung