The Moral Quandary Thread

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Kory
Unknown Immortal

Re: The Moral Quandary Thread

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
22 Jun 2023, 1:57pm
Kory wrote:
22 Jun 2023, 1:43pm
She's going to HAVE to learn about the difference between art and artist since that kind of thing is way more exposed than it used to be, it may be too early in her development (especially if it could start an argument with this friend of hers), but you'll know whether she can handle it.
Dederer made the observation that this is a particular problem of our age because the internet makes everything biographical. Lives are shared, exposed, and evaluated now. It makes it impossible to fully insulate our enjoyment of the art in the way we once could (i.e., ignorance being bliss). So we necessarily have to make choices—we can't avoid them—about what we're going to do with that biographical context. We can choose to say that it doesn't matter, but those statements are made with an awareness of the context, not an ignorance of it.
The thing that wigs me out the most about it is the cognitive dissonance quandaries that I find myself in. I give passes to certain artists that I don't give to others, and it's either arbitrary or feelings-based, or based on how much I already liked the artist.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
22 Jun 2023, 3:30pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
She's going to HAVE to learn about the difference between art and artist since that kind of thing is way more exposed than it used to be, it may be too early in her development (especially if it could start an argument with this friend of hers), but you'll know whether she can handle it.
Dederer made the observation that this is a particular problem of our age because the internet makes everything biographical. Lives are shared, exposed, and evaluated now. It makes it impossible to fully insulate our enjoyment of the art in the way we once could (i.e., ignorance being bliss). So we necessarily have to make choices—we can't avoid them—about what we're going to do with that biographical context. We can choose to say that it doesn't matter, but those statements are made with an awareness of the context, not an ignorance of it.
The thing that wigs me out the most about it is the cognitive dissonance quandaries that I find myself in. I give passes to certain artists that I don't give to others, and it's either arbitrary or feelings-based, or based on how much I already liked the artist.
I suspect everybody, or nearly everybody, is in that boat. It's a lot easier to take a stand when the art doesn't hold as much personal value. Dederer does suggest that it's a bit unfair that it's up to us to figure this stuff out. Woody Allen is a creep, but because we like his movies we're expected to jump thru hoops to make an argument that we're still good people. How am I suddenly implicated because I love Radio Days? But we personalize our connection to the art—we make emotional connections to it—so we do get wrapped up in it all. No easy solution but it also means that any criticism we might receive is also/should also be difficult.
"Ain't no party like an S Club party!'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
22 Jun 2023, 3:44pm
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
I suspect everybody, or nearly everybody, is in that boat. It's a lot easier to take a stand when the art doesn't hold as much personal value. Dederer does suggest that it's a bit unfair that it's up to us to figure this stuff out. Woody Allen is a creep, but because we like his movies we're expected to jump thru hoops to make an argument that we're still good people. How am I suddenly implicated because I love Radio Days? But we personalize our connection to the art—we make emotional connections to it—so we do get wrapped up in it all. No easy solution but it also means that any criticism we might receive is also/should also be difficult.
Man, how good is Radio Days though? Classic.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
22 Jun 2023, 5:10pm
Every once in awhile, out of the blue, either The Boss or I will say, "Hawk! I hear the cannons rawww. Is it the king approaching?"
"Ain't no party like an S Club party!'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Fwiw, I haven't been able to stand listening to a bosstones song since learning dicky is an anti-vax, q-adjacent shithead. In some ways that's a shame, because something I loved feels ruined. But in other ways, I suppose I'm glad that instinctually have at least some lines that I won't excuse-make for and rationalize about. Maybe I'll soften back up in time, who knows.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
22 Jun 2023, 5:31pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Fwiw, I haven't been able to stand listening to a bosstones song since learning dicky is an anti-vax, q-adjacent shithead. In some ways that's a shame, because something I loved feels ruined. But in other ways, I suppose I'm glad that instinctually have at least some lines that I won't excuse-make for and rationalize about. Maybe I'll soften back up in time, who knows.
I haven't divorced myself from Lydon's work, but I admit that it's not as "easy" to listen to now.

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
22 Jun 2023, 5:45pm
I haven't divorced myself from Lydon's work, but I admit that it's not as "easy" to listen to now.
I, too, find it unforgivable that Lydon doesn't play any psycho's path material live anymore.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
22 Jun 2023, 5:55pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
I, too, find it unforgivable that Lydon doesn't play any psycho's path material live anymore.
:twitch: :twitch: :twitch: In some respects, he's made it very easy since, I dunno, around 1986 to not play his music.

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Mimi wrote:
22 Jun 2023, 10:32am
I'm having issues with this too. I loved HP -- read the books, devoured the movies -- but that woman can go suck a bag of dicks. So, what do I do with all that stuff?

To answer your question: do you have a local library? They usually have book sales and since HP is like fly shit (it's everywhere), you could probably find the whole series in the sale. This way you're supporting your child's love of reading and the library all at the same time.
Assuming this would be something this repulsive individual would not enjoy, then three bags full for the woman in the castle who spends her whole day tweeting hate about a tiny subsection of the population please sir.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
22 Jun 2023, 5:18pm
Kory wrote:
Every once in awhile, out of the blue, either The Boss or I will say, "Hawk! I hear the cannons rawww. Is it the king approaching?"
It makes it all the funnier when she nails it at the end.

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Get regular with Relax! Start everyday, the Relax way.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

JennyB wrote:
23 Jun 2023, 10:21am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Get regular with Relax! Start everyday, the Relax way.
You speak the truth, my faithful Indian companion.

(I've used that one on The Boss, too.)

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
Flex wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Sure it's easy to listen to Lydon's work. He didn't always have the dumb views he has now.

That skinny squatting kid new a thing or two. The fat wealthy old turd don't know shit.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
29 Jun 2023, 11:14pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Flex wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:

Sure it's easy to listen to Lydon's work. He didn't always have the dumb views he has now.

That skinny squatting kid new a thing or two. The fat wealthy old turd don't know shit.
Not as easy for me to compartmentalize, tho. What he's become bleeds into what he was.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
30 Jun 2023, 6:16am
Marky Dread wrote:
29 Jun 2023, 11:14pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Flex wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Not as easy for me to compartmentalize, tho. What he's become bleeds into what he was.
Fair enough that's personal and only happens if you let it. I have no problem at all with that.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia