New York's Alright...

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: New York's Alright...

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
11 Jul 2023, 9:57pm
Flex wrote:
11 Jul 2023, 9:47pm
revbob wrote:
11 Jul 2023, 9:45pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
11 Jul 2023, 1:30pm
Flex wrote:
11 Jul 2023, 1:13pm

"The gift basket isn't even that nice."
"And I don't even think he was listening when I told him my hopes, told him my dreams."
Just another piece of ass.
Even if it's true (and it is), that's still not a very nice thing to say about Doc.
Not the first nor the last to surrender to those calm eyes.
To escape, I darted to his left and he fell helplessly to the ground as I bounced away up the middle.
"Ain't no party like an S Club party!'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Low Down Low wrote:
11 Jul 2023, 1:18pm
Two of my favourite places things about New York are the ferries, great and undervalued way for getting around the boroughs at subway ticket prices, and spending warm lazy Sundays hanging out in Bryant Park, working off the hangover from the previous night. Then, later, a sunset stroll around a quiet Central Park before the long trek over the 59th Bridge back to Queens. Lot of fond memories there.
I just discovered the NYC Ferry on this trip. That's a super cool option not just to get around but also to check out some sights. You can pick it up in Long Island City, cruise down the East River, under the Queensborough, Manhattan, and Brooklyn Bridges, and then get off in Lower Manhattan for $4.

Another thing I did for the first time was to take the Roosevelt Island Tramway, which just required a swipe of my MetroCard. It felt like it was 200 degrees on board, but wow, what a view!
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

The Yankees got shellacked on Thursday night, and it was crazy/funny how quickly the Bronx faithful turned on them. They looked flat on the field and at the plate. There was one play where a ball popped up lightly in foul territory, and neither Anthony Rizzo nor Jose Trevino hustled for it, and it fell between them. The next pitch was hit sharply to rightfield and scored another run. The fan sitting in front of me nearly had a stroke screaming at the Yankee dugout.

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

modskint wrote:
10 Jul 2023, 10:37pm
I miss living there big time.

Wack that they changed Shoot The Freak to Shoot the Clown. Do they still have the “Bump Your Ass Off” bumper cars? I used to ride my bike down to Coney on the weekend (I lived off of Ave M so it wasnt far) and drink beers on the Boardwalk at Ruby’s. Good times.
The answer is YES - though we did not ride them.

Mimi
Goddess of the Underworld

Post by Mimi »

WestwayKid wrote:
12 Jul 2023, 10:41am
The Yankees got shellacked on Thursday night, and it was crazy/funny how quickly the Bronx faithful turned on them. They looked flat on the field and at the plate. There was one play where a ball popped up lightly in foul territory, and neither Anthony Rizzo nor Jose Trevino hustled for it, and it fell between them. The next pitch was hit sharply to rightfield and scored another run. The fan sitting in front of me nearly had a stroke screaming at the Yankee dugout.
They play like that a lot and I find it puzzling.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Mimi wrote:
12 Jul 2023, 12:24pm
WestwayKid wrote:
I know it's lazy to blame the manager, but the Yankees under Boone regularly seem less than the talent of their individual parts. Torre and Girardi's teams seemed to have that stupid fucking extra gear that meant the team was never out of it, but Boone's teams don't generate that kind of anxiety in me. But credit Boone with amassing all that dirt on Cashman and Steinbrenner to protect his job.
"Ain't no party like an S Club party!'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
12 Jul 2023, 12:29pm
Mimi wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:
I know it's lazy to blame the manager, but the Yankees under Boone regularly seem less than the talent of their individual parts. Torre and Girardi's teams seemed to have that stupid fucking extra gear that meant the team was never out of it, but Boone's teams don't generate that kind of anxiety in me. But credit Boone with amassing all that dirt on Cashman and Steinbrenner to protect his job.
I wonder what kind of dirt Cashman has to have survived this long ...

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

WestwayKid wrote:
12 Jul 2023, 12:43pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Mimi wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:
I wonder what kind of dirt Cashman has to have survived this long ...
By most reasonable standards, Cashman’s done nothing that merits being fired. He consistently builds competitive teams—more so than other big budget teams—but the Yankees haven’t even been to the WS since ‘09, let alone won since then. And the Yankee standard is different. So, yeah, because it’s the Yankees and all that, there’s justification to send Cashman and Boone packing at the end of this season if they don’t, at minimum, make it back to the ALCS. Tampa continues to develop great young players and knows when to trade them away and the Orioles seem set to contend for a few years, plus the Red Sox next window, if it opens, should be next year. So it’s not like there’s an easy road ahead for them by sticking to whatever plan it is they’re on.

Mimi
Goddess of the Underworld

Post by Mimi »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
Mimi wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:
For whatever reason, the spark is gone.