MLB 2024

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

MLB 2024

Post by Flex »

Wow, almost like 3/4 of a day into the new year and no mlb 2024 thread? I guess we were all waiting for Rattie to start it. Won't be as many gifs on the first post with me. Just this, a message of board unity in these troubled times:

Inshallah. Play ball.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Re: MLB 2024

Post by revbob »

Flex wrote:
01 Jan 2024, 6:42pm
Wow, almost like 3/4 of a day into the new year and no mlb 2024 thread? I guess we were all waiting for Rattie to start it. Won't be as many gifs on the first post with me. Just this, a message of board unity in these troubled times:

Inshallah. Play ball.
Something all good people and agree upon.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

If I ran the zoo, the Dodgers would go something like 125–37 in the regular season and then get no-hit in three straight in the NLDS. I'd ride my unicorn up and down the street, yodelling and yee-hawing.
"Ain't no party like an S Club party!'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Flex

Post by Flex »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
01 Jan 2024, 6:59pm
If I ran the zoo, the Dodgers would go something like 125–37 in the regular season and then get no-hit in three straight in the NLDS. I'd ride my unicorn up and down the street, yodelling and yee-hawing.
Please, please, let this seep into my subconscious for a future dream.

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
01 Jan 2024, 7:00pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
01 Jan 2024, 6:59pm
Please, please, let this seep into my subconscious for a future dream.
Here's an aperitif for the work.
413876233.jpeg
413876233.jpeg (52.53 KiB) Viewed 2110 times
"Ain't no party like an S Club party!'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

weller259
Pitch Clock Appreciator
Location: He's A Real Nowhere Man, Sitting In His Nowhere Land

Post by weller259 »

Flex wrote:
01 Jan 2024, 6:42pm

Inshallah. Play ball.
This is exactly how most people felt about the Yankees, from the moment they got Babe Ruth all the way to the 1960's with Mickey Mantle. They always got the best players and ended up beating everyone else. The hatred was real.

Me, well, i'm less concerned about what other teams do and way more concerned by what my team does. Its not a case of "keeping up with the Jones'" its a case of improving my team that desperately needs much improvement.

The pressure is on the Dodgers from day 1. Nothing less than "Championship" will be acceptable. Will they be able to stand up to that immense pressure and perform? We shall see. My team was under that kind of pressure last year because of their payroll, and we all saw how that played out.
From what I see there's still a little hope
That's if we don't hang from too much rope

weller259
Pitch Clock Appreciator

Post by weller259 »

the Braves got Sale and will only have to pay him 10 of the 27 M he is due in this, the final year of his contract. So, he'll have plenty of incentive to have a good season to land another contract and for only 10 M. I'd have taken a shot on him too, he does still throw pretty hard and if healthy, he could be very effective.

My Mets?
:crickets:

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

weller259 wrote:
03 Jan 2024, 2:27am
the Braves got Sale and will only have to pay him 10 of the 27 M he is due in this, the final year of his contract. So, he'll have plenty of incentive to have a good season to land another contract and for only 10 M. I'd have taken a shot on him too, he does still throw pretty hard and if healthy, he could be very effective.

My Mets?
If the Red Sox thought he'd have a good season, they'd have kept him. But at this point the odds are that he's made of glass. It was a good deal for both sides. The Sox saved $10M and maybe got their 2B while the Braves are only on the hook for $10, got a guy who, when healthy, can be very good, and gave up someone who was blocked in their system. And Flex and I were saved having to want Sale to do well for our team.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Flex

Post by Flex »

If you click through the to the nightmare list, it's pretty much full of of Padres, Yankees and Dodgers (and Kris Bryant with the Rockies, lol)

Pex Lives!

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Flex wrote:
03 Jan 2024, 8:55am
If you click through the to the nightmare list, it's pretty much full of of Padres, Yankees and Dodgers (and Kris Bryant with the Rockies, lol)
Yeah it's become part of the deal with big FA contracts. Hopefully you get some good years for half the term.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
03 Jan 2024, 9:17am
Flex wrote:
03 Jan 2024, 8:55am
Yeah it's become part of the deal with big FA contracts. Hopefully you get some good years for half the term.
What I enjoy about that perspective is that at the start of it everyone agrees. If we get 5 strong years, even if the last 3 are terrible, it's still a win for the team. But even when you get 5 strong years, fans and media howl about those last 3 lousy years and what a disaster the contract was, etc etc. Because the essence of sports media and fandom is to complain. Which isn't a criticism, really—I enjoy carping about sports as much as the next boob.

weller259
Pitch Clock Appreciator

Post by weller259 »

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Dude can spank it!

BostonBeaneater
Autonomous Insect Cyborg Sentinel

Post by BostonBeaneater »

weller259 wrote:
03 Jan 2024, 2:27am

My Mets?
This is our year!