Association Football Thread

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Re: Association Football Thread

Post by Marky Dread »

Gerd Müller RIP.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Marky Dread wrote:
15 Aug 2021, 8:36am
Gerd Müller RIP.
Hello,

RIP, der Bomber.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

DP

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Hello,

Chelsea - Liverpool.....

Olaf
Unknown Immortal

Post by Olaf »

revbob wrote:
15 Aug 2021, 8:46pm
DP
"Displaced Post?"

Might as well enjoy yourself while you're here.

Who pfaffed the pfaff? Who got pfaffed tonight?

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Olaf wrote:
28 Aug 2021, 2:10pm
revbob wrote:
15 Aug 2021, 8:46pm
DP
"Displaced Post?"

Might as well enjoy yourself while you're here.

Love it. Sing it with me everyone... STORTEBEKER something something something STORTEBEKER something something something

Olaf
Unknown Immortal

Post by Olaf »

Don't really follow the 2. Bundesliga, so I was pleasantly surprised to see St. Pauli are currently in fourth place.

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Olaf wrote:
30 Aug 2021, 5:29am
Don't really follow the 2. Bundesliga, so I was pleasantly surprised to see St. Pauli are currently in fourth place.
Is he anything to Arny Pauli, the agitator ;)

Seriously, I think I read an article about them in a football magazine a couple of years ago, something about their fans, but can't remember the details. But very likeable club, if my memory isn't letting me down!

Olaf
Unknown Immortal

Post by Olaf »

Low Down Low wrote:
30 Aug 2021, 7:34am
Olaf wrote:

Seriously, I think I read an article about them in a football magazine a couple of years ago, something about their fans, but can't remember the details. But very likeable club, if my memory isn't letting me down!
Yeah, I think they've been linked to the Hamburg squatting scene since the 80s. I guess not many professional football clubs would have an anarchist/leftist band like Slime play at their anniversary.

I guess Fortuna Düsseldorf could invite Die Toten Hosen, but firstly, they've become totally mainstream these days (which is not an accusation), and secondly, they just happen to be fans of the club. There's no political dimension.

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Olaf wrote:
30 Aug 2021, 8:31am
Low Down Low wrote:
Olaf wrote:

Yeah, I think they've been linked to the Hamburg squatting scene since the 80s. I guess not many professional football clubs would have an anarchist/leftist band like Slime play at their anniversary.

I guess Fortuna Düsseldorf could invite Die Toten Hosen, but firstly, they've become totally mainstream these days (which is not an accusation), and secondly, they just happen to be fans of the club. There's no political dimension.
Trying to think of a British comparison and drawing a blank. Elton John and Watford bout the best I can do! And having to look at Noel Gallaghers ugly mug as the camera inevitably pans to him anytime Man City are playing.

I dug out the article I'd read, it doesn't mention Slime but The Clash do make a very fleeting appearance.

https://www.8by8mag.com/the-conversion-of-st-pauli/

Olaf
Unknown Immortal

Post by Olaf »

Low Down Low wrote:
30 Aug 2021, 8:51am
Olaf wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
Olaf wrote:

Trying to think of a British comparison and drawing a blank. Elton John and Watford bout the best I can do! And having to look at Noel Gallaghers ugly mug as the camera inevitably pans to him anytime Man City are playing.

I dug out the article I'd read, it doesn't mention Slime but The Clash do make a very fleeting appearance.

Enjoyed reading that, thanks for posting. I like clubs that do things a bit differently. FC Union Berlin is another example. I believe Nina Hagen is a fan.

SC Freiburg is another one. They've had the same manager for ages and it's amazing what they achieve with their limited budget. No connection to a band/musician though (that I'm aware of).

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Olaf wrote:
30 Aug 2021, 11:11am
Low Down Low wrote:
30 Aug 2021, 8:51am
Olaf wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
Olaf wrote:

Enjoyed reading that, thanks for posting. I like clubs that do things a bit differently. FC Union Berlin is another example. I believe Nina Hagen is a fan.

SC Freiburg is another one. They've had the same manager for ages and it's amazing what they achieve with their limited budget. No connection to a band/musician though (that I'm aware of).
Yeah, I like clubs who have a good bond with fans and have a great community feel about them. By and large they tend not to be in the top divisions, though. When I lived in munich, we used to head down to games at 1860, my flatmate, a native munchener, wouldn't have been caught dead within a mile of bayern! We always had good nights.

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

St Pauli is a pretty fashionable club to follow here in the US - and for good reason. Great story and great politics, without being completely shit to watch (often). I'll stream their games sometimes when the timing lines up. I'd probably have started following them primarily when I was taking an interest in the sport if it were easier to watch games here in the US in English (and, I supposed, legally).
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Hello,

West Ham over Liverpool and jumps them in the table. Arsenal up to 5th. Chelsea is holding on up top and Pulisic should be healthy again. Ole is on a hot seat. Damn, the league is fun.