Association Football Thread

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
laxman
Unknown Immortal

Re: Association Football Thread

Post by laxman »

Marky Dread wrote:
24 May 2022, 1:32pm
laxman wrote:
24 May 2022, 1:21pm
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-61563153

BBC apologises after 'Manchester United are rubbish' appears on screen.

Harsh, but fair?
For Manchester United sure. But then harsh on all those that finished 7th and lower. If Manchester United are rubbish then the rest?

West Ham had a solid season yet just missed out on that Europa place.

I'm a long time Man Utd fan and remember the good and the bad times. The old division 2 and so on. So I've seen it all before and football goes around in circles. I'm feeling a lot more positive now Ten Hag has taken over and will see the squad first hand through the summer. Unlike the appointment of Rangnick a third of the way into the season. Remove the dead wood (By Pogba) and some others who have become lazy. Remember the bulk of that squad finished 2nd only last season. So it's not all bad.

Liverpool and City won't dominate forever. ;)
I guess the issue with United is their current standard compared to past standards, rather than against other clubs. I’m not a United fan but I find it very disappointing how players like Rashford seem to have lost their way. Hopefully Ten Hag will sort things out. Pogba does appear to need to go, a shame because he has amazing talent. I have probably said it before but you just need to get Ethan Laird in the team. He was in Laxgirl’s school and year at primary school.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

laxman wrote:
24 May 2022, 1:55pm
Marky Dread wrote:
24 May 2022, 1:32pm
laxman wrote:
24 May 2022, 1:21pm
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-61563153

BBC apologises after 'Manchester United are rubbish' appears on screen.

Harsh, but fair?
For Manchester United sure. But then harsh on all those that finished 7th and lower. If Manchester United are rubbish then the rest?

West Ham had a solid season yet just missed out on that Europa place.

I'm a long time Man Utd fan and remember the good and the bad times. The old division 2 and so on. So I've seen it all before and football goes around in circles. I'm feeling a lot more positive now Ten Hag has taken over and will see the squad first hand through the summer. Unlike the appointment of Rangnick a third of the way into the season. Remove the dead wood (By Pogba) and some others who have become lazy. Remember the bulk of that squad finished 2nd only last season. So it's not all bad.

Liverpool and City won't dominate forever. ;)
I guess the issue with United is their current standard compared to past standards, rather than against other clubs. I’m not a United fan but I find it very disappointing how players like Rashford seem to have lost their way. Hopefully Ten Hag will sort things out. Pogba does appear to need to go, a shame because he has amazing talent. I have probably said it before but you just need to get Ethan Laird in the team. He was in Laxgirl’s school and year at primary school.
Things went badly downhill after Mason Greenwood was arrested. But there's talent there still. I've no doubt Erik Ten Hag will shake them out of this malaise. A couple of new signings will also help. Rangnick simply wasn't a tough enough character for the Prem. That press isn't really a style Man Utd adapted to. Erik doesn't have just one style of play that he will expect all to take on board. He has different approaches and will fit to get the best from a player. I remain positive.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Been totally absorbed by the women's Euro 2022. Skilful and attacking and, most crucially, a complete lack of cynicism. And an England v Germany final at Wembley - what more could a major tournament ask for?

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Low Down Low wrote:
27 Jul 2022, 5:09pm
Been totally absorbed by the women's Euro 2022. Skilful and attacking and, most crucially, a complete lack of cynicism. And an England v Germany final at Wembley - what more could a major tournament ask for?
Looking forward to Sunday. Bring it on!

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Marky Dread wrote:
27 Jul 2022, 6:24pm
Low Down Low wrote:
Germany were really good tonight, going to be a tight match I think, I smell penos! I didn't even watch the last world cup but this tournament has restored my faith in football a little. It has been wonderful, a total joy since the beginning.

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Low Down Low wrote:
27 Jul 2022, 6:40pm
Marky Dread wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
Germany were really good tonight, going to be a tight match I think, I smell penos! I didn't even watch the last world cup but this tournament has restored my faith in football a little. It has been wonderful, a total joy since the beginning.
Hello,

The tournament has been very good. I was disappointed by both Norway's performance versus England as well as Sweden's versus England as well - Sweden appeared to be a bit over-rated.

Fun fact/bragging point: I had Lucy Bronze at camp at the University of North Carolina - good kid, very quiet, very focused on learning.

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

gkbill wrote:
28 Jul 2022, 12:36pm
Low Down Low wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
Hello,

The tournament has been very good. I was disappointed by both Norway's performance versus England as well as Sweden's versus England as well - Sweden appeared to be a bit over-rated.

Fun fact/bragging point: I had Lucy Bronze at camp at the University of North Carolina - good kid, very quiet, very focused on learning.
Nice one! She was a bit ropey first half the other night but overall she's been a real star and the red tops no doubt will be loving her for the easy "Bronze going for Gold" headlines! Some of the games haven't been the highest quality, but as I said earlier it's the spirit that stands out for me, no histrionics or feigning injury. They just get on with it and while the games dont lack for bite, you rarely see more than a single card per game. I'd completely forgotten what football could be to be honest.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Low Down Low wrote:
28 Jul 2022, 1:43pm
gkbill wrote:
28 Jul 2022, 12:36pm
Low Down Low wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
Hello,

Nice one! She was a bit ropey first half the other night but overall she's been a real star and the red tops no doubt will be loving her for the easy "Bronze going for Gold" headlines! Some of the games haven't been the highest quality, but as I said earlier it's the spirit that stands out for me, no histrionics or feigning injury. They just get on with it and while the games dont lack for bite, you rarely see more than a single card per game. I'd completely forgotten what football could be to be honest.
The goalkeeper (Earps) for England has been brilliant in organising the back four.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

C'mon Lionesses!

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Marky Dread wrote:
31 Jul 2022, 11:37am
C'mon Lionesses!
Hello,

G'wan England - Wiegman, Russso, and Bronze are all former University of North Carolina players.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Well done ladies. Absolutely brilliant!

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

laxman
Unknown Immortal

Post by laxman »

Marky Dread wrote:
31 Jul 2022, 2:36pm
Well done ladies. Absolutely brilliant!
I thought that was a really good game. Both teams passed the ball really well, I was worried that Germany were going to win once they equalised, they seemed to be finding a lot of space down their right wing but a substitution seemed to help reduce that threat. I thought Williamson was absolutely brilliant, so good on the ball.

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Well done England, best team over the tournament and fully deserved. Thought game was a bit tense and scrappy up to first goal which was quality, as was the equaliser. Bad break for Germans to lose their star player before kick off.

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Hello,

Arsenal appear to be back - just saw Chelsea. They're a work in progress. Sterling is a nice addition, a type they they hadn't had before, and played all 110+ minutes. Koulibaly looks to be a good replacement for Rudiger.

Zach Steffen looked to have some struggles for Middlesbrough - bad news for the US.

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Confident prediction: first manager for the shepherds crook this year - Frank Lampard.