Association Football Thread

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Re: Association Football Thread

Post by Marky Dread »

laxman wrote:
15 May 2022, 2:40pm
Stockport County promoted back to the football league after 11 years in the wilderness. The last few weeks have been very nerve wracking.
😎👍

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

I think it's incredible and a little dispiriting that this should be such a deal in the 2020s and yet, i salute this young man's courage and wish him all the best for his career and life.

https://news.sky.com/story/jake-daniels ... n-12614598

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Low Down Low wrote:
16 May 2022, 12:42pm
I think it's incredible and a little dispiriting that this should be such a deal in the 2020s and yet, i salute this young man's courage and wish him all the best for his career and life.

I almost literally can't believe that he's the only out, gay pro footballer in Britain. Although I guess it's extremely rare in U.S. sports as well. Good for him. Heroic, even.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Flex wrote:
16 May 2022, 12:45pm
Low Down Low wrote:

I almost literally can't believe that he's the only out, gay pro footballer in Britain. Although I guess it's extremely rare in U.S. sports as well. Good for him. Heroic, even.
There was a guy played for Leeds about 10 years ago who came out but he was American, it's obviously still a very hard thing to do and definitely not helped by the tabloid culture that still clings tightly to the game. Some courage at 17, i think heroic is entirely appropriate here.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Low Down Low wrote:
16 May 2022, 12:52pm
Flex wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:

There was a guy played for Leeds about 10 years ago who came out but he was American, it's obviously still a very hard thing to do and definitely not helped by the tabloid culture that still clings tightly to the game. Some courage at 17, i think heroic is entirely appropriate here.
Don't forget Justin Fashanu.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Marky Dread wrote:
16 May 2022, 1:12pm
Low Down Low wrote:
Flex wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:

Oh no, of course not. Just that linked report refers to Daniels as the first to come out since Fashanu but Robbie Rogers did it 10 years ago so he's actually the third. Just to be accurate about it.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Low Down Low wrote:
16 May 2022, 1:20pm
Marky Dread wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
Flex wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:

Oh no, of course not. Just that linked report refers to Daniels as the first to come out since Fashanu but Robbie Rogers did it 10 years ago so he's actually the third. Just to be accurate about it.
This article regards the abuse that Graham Le Saux got at games explains a lot about the stupid machismo.

https://thesefootballtimes.co/2019/01/3 ... -football/

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Marky Dread wrote:
16 May 2022, 1:24pm
Low Down Low wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
Flex wrote:

This article regards the abuse that Graham Le Saux got at games explains a lot about the stupid machismo.

Cheers mate, that's a poignant and harrowing read even all these years on. Clough and Fowler, what a pair of wankers, though I suppose in some small way, they were victims of their environment too. The Fashanu story is just so damn tragic it hurts.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Low Down Low wrote:
16 May 2022, 1:41pm
Marky Dread wrote:
16 May 2022, 1:24pm
Low Down Low wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:

Cheers mate, that's a poignant and harrowing read even all these years on. Clough and Fowler, what a pair of wankers, though I suppose in some small way, they were victims of their environment too. The Fashanu story is just so damn tragic it hurts.
Would be nice to think we've moved on from those times but alas there is still a moronic minority in football crowds. Agreed about Justin, just very sad indeed.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

I know, keep politics out of football and all that. Still, from what I recall, Klopp wasn't criticising Newcastle fans, just the owners and while you can go down a rabbit hole with these things, there has to be a line somewhere and I'm pretty sure making deals with an authoritarian, bigoted and journalist murdering and chopping up into small pieces regime is so far beyond, the line is barely visible anymore. Anyway, long story short, I'm happy to be Klopp and Liverpool for one day only.

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

First match of the season/final match of the season
Attachments
Screenshot_20220522-081716.png
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Flex wrote:
22 May 2022, 10:18am
First match of the season/final match of the season
Fantastic pics Flex.😎

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

laxman
Unknown Immortal

Post by laxman »

I have a lot of Man City friends who were supporters pre the money and stuck with them when they tumbled down the divisions, so I was pleased for them yesterday. Gutted for Klopp (who I think is brilliant) and Liverpool, fingers crossed for them that they win the Champions League. Also delighted for Deny that his boys (Leeds) stayed up. Never in doubt, so he tells me! Last but not least, well done to Heston's boys (Sunderland) on winning their play off final.

laxman
Unknown Immortal

Post by laxman »

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-61563153

BBC apologises after 'Manchester United are rubbish' appears on screen.

Harsh, but fair?

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

laxman wrote:
24 May 2022, 1:21pm
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-61563153

BBC apologises after 'Manchester United are rubbish' appears on screen.

Harsh, but fair?
For Manchester United sure. But then harsh on all those that finished 7th and lower. If Manchester United are rubbish then the rest?

West Ham had a solid season yet just missed out on that Europa place.

I'm a long time Man Utd fan and remember the good and the bad times. The old division 2 and so on. So I've seen it all before and football goes around in circles. I'm feeling a lot more positive now Ten Hag has taken over and will see the squad first hand through the summer. Unlike the appointment of Rangnick a third of the way into the season. Remove the dead wood (By Pogba) and some others who have become lazy. Remember the bulk of that squad finished 2nd only last season. So it's not all bad.

Liverpool and City won't dominate forever. ;)

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia