Association Football Thread

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Olaf
Unknown Immortal

Re: Association Football Thread

Post by Olaf »

Yep, I agree, England played well and the ref seemed a bit biased. France didn't look unbeatable yesterday, a big opportunity missed.

I also agree the football was enjoyable, the way FIFA acted not so much.
Who pfaffed the pfaff? Who got pfaffed tonight?

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Hello,

Agreed with much of the above - entertaining games for the most part. I love how Croatia keeps the ball rolling. I 'd like ot see Messi win a Cup. Mbappe is such a force alongside Dembele and Giroud. Morocco - ya, Africa.

The decision to have Kane take teh second was unusual. If Kane had scored and the game went to penalties, would Kane have taken a 3rd?

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

gkbill wrote:
11 Dec 2022, 2:38pm
Hello,

Agreed with much of the above - entertaining games for the most part. I love how Croatia keeps the ball rolling. I 'd like ot see Messi win a Cup. Mbappe is such a force alongside Dembele and Giroud. Morocco - ya, Africa.

The decision to have Kane take teh second was unusual. If Kane had scored and the game went to penalties, would Kane have taken a 3rd?
Not seen much reaction but is there an actual debate about Kane taking the second peno? I'd never for a second considered anyone else would take it and I'm certain he'd have taken first one in the event of a shoot out assuming he was still active in the game at that point.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

gkbill wrote:
Hello,

Why was it unusual? He scored the first penalty and is the penalty taker so of course he would take the second. And yes he would've taken a third if it has gone to a shoot out. In my opinion he should've had 3 penalties within the 90 mins. Such poor refereeing and the VAR guys taking so long to make a judgement call and getting it wrong again.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Marky Dread wrote:
11 Dec 2022, 6:56pm
gkbill wrote:
Hello,

Why was it unusual? He scored the first penalty and is the penalty taker so of course he would take the second. And yes he would've taken a third if it has gone to a shoot out. In my opinion he should've had 3 penalties within the 90 mins. Such poor refereeing and the VAR guys taking so long to make a judgement call and getting it wrong again.
Also should have been a red card for the second penalty.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

VAR/Replay in both bootballs I watch (round and oblong) suffer a problem where once the review has taken more than, like, a minute you know the resulting call is going to be totally absurd. These things should be for blatant miscalls that are easy to spot on review. When you have to comb over a piece of footage like it's the fucking zapruder video then you know you're engaging in some bullshit. I don't know exactly what the answer is for either sport - I've seen time limits on official review suggested which I imagine would create its own set of problems - but I don't think I know a single sports fan in the world who gets excited after a lengthy video review because now they're confident the officials are going to get the call right.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Heston wrote:
11 Dec 2022, 8:19pm
Marky Dread wrote:
11 Dec 2022, 6:56pm
gkbill wrote:
Hello,

Also should have been a red card for the second penalty.
Agree.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Flex wrote:
11 Dec 2022, 8:56pm
VAR/Replay in both bootballs I watch (round and oblong) suffer a problem where once the review has taken more than, like, a minute you know the resulting call is going to be totally absurd. These things should be for blatant miscalls that are easy to spot on review. When you have to comb over a piece of footage like it's the fucking zapruder video then you know you're engaging in some bullshit. I don't know exactly what the answer is for either sport - I've seen time limits on official review suggested which I imagine would create its own set of problems - but I don't think I know a single sports fan in the world who gets excited after a lengthy video review because now they're confident the officials are going to get the call right.
Slows down the game way too much. Time spent deliberating when it was clear too see that Saka was fouled inside the area and didn't slip on a grassy knoll.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Hello,

Cautious start. I don't really have a dog in this fight. Let's just have a good game.

edit: Wow - great 2nd goal by Alvarez - off a Croatian corner no less. This has gotten wide open.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

So do journalists normally die at these things?

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

revbob wrote:
13 Dec 2022, 8:49pm
Hello,

Grant Wahl (good guy) was apparently working without any real down time. He had trouble at one game (USA-Wales?) gaining admission as he wore a rainbow t-shirt. He had visited a medical clinic a few days ago and was thought to have bronchitis. A few friends thought foul play from the government - I tend to think not as Qatar is bidding for the 2036 Olympics and murdering a journalist would be frowned upon despite the potential bribes. I can't say there was no foul play but I would guess not.
Last edited by gkbill on 13 Dec 2022, 9:34pm, edited 1 time in total.

Flex

Post by Flex »

gkbill wrote:
13 Dec 2022, 9:27pm
revbob wrote:
Hello,

Grant Wahl (good guy) was apparently working without any real down time. He had trouble at one game (USA-Wales?) gaining admission as he wore a rainbow t-shirt. He had visited a medical clinic a few days ago and was thought to have bronchitis. A few friends thought foul play from the government - I tend to think not as Qatar is bidding for the 2036 Olympics and murdering a journalists would be frowned upon despite the potential bribes. I can't say there was no foul play but I would guess not.
Yeah, seems prrtty unlikely. That said, that it's even plausible tells you something about qatar.

Pex Lives!

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Flex wrote:
13 Dec 2022, 9:33pm
gkbill wrote:
13 Dec 2022, 9:27pm
revbob wrote:
Hello,

Grant Wahl (good guy) was apparently working without any real down time. He had trouble at one game (USA-Wales?) gaining admission as he wore a rainbow t-shirt. He had visited a medical clinic a few days ago and was thought to have bronchitis. A few friends thought foul play from the government - I tend to think not as Qatar is bidding for the 2036 Olympics and murdering a journalists would be frowned upon despite the potential bribes. I can't say there was no foul play but I would guess not.
Yeah, seems prrtty unlikely. That said, that it's even plausible tells you something about qatar.
Well 3 dead journalists is a lot under the circumstances.

https://www.insidesport.in/fifa-wc-jour ... e-updates/

Flex

Post by Flex »

Jesus

Pex Lives!

gkbill