Association Football Thread

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Re: Association Football Thread

Post by gkbill »

Hello,

Big day. My son's a very strong United supporter, the wife's always been a Chelsea fan, both happy with the Spurs-Leicester result - later today, one will be happy, one will not - and I'm stuck in the middle (but hey, Arsenal's in the Cup final!). The end of this weird season is getting very interesting at the top and bottom of the league.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

gkbill wrote:
19 Jul 2020, 12:55pm
Hello,

Big day. My son's a very strong United supporter, the wife's always been a Chelsea fan, both happy with the Spurs-Leicester result - later today, one will be happy, one will not - and I'm stuck in the middle (but hey, Arsenal's in the Cup final!). The end of this weird season is getting very interesting at the top and bottom of the league.
Your son and mine (and me) very disappointed with that performance 2 goalkeeping errors and an own goal. United just not at the races today. Still might finish in the top 4. Chelsea might not make the top 4 yet with Liverpool and Wolves next.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Marky Dread wrote:
19 Jul 2020, 6:32pm
gkbill wrote:
Hello,

Your son and mine (and me) very disappointed with that performance 2 goalkeeping errors and an own goal. United just not at the races today. Still might finish in the top 4. Chelsea might not make the top 4 yet with Liverpool and Wolves next.
Ole made too many changes and change to formation. I think he would rather concentrate on top 4 finish.

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Marky Dread wrote:
gkbill wrote:
Hello,

Hello,

Yeah, de Gea's form has dropped over the last 12-18 months. There used to be conversation about him being among the best in the world (remember transfer talks to Spain involving enormous fees?) - now he's maybe not the best in Manchester. Both Chelsea and United resting some people (no Pusilic, No Pogba until late) for league play. I'll come away thinking not much from today can be taken away and applied to the upcoming league matches.

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

gkbill wrote:
19 Jul 2020, 7:15pm
Marky Dread wrote:
gkbill wrote:
Hello,

Hello,

Yeah, de Gea's form has dropped over the last 12-18 months. There used to be conversation about him being among the best in the world (remember transfer talks to Spain involving enormous fees?) - now he's maybe not the best in Manchester. Both Chelsea and United resting some people (no Pusilic, No Pogba until late) for league play. I'll come away thinking not much from today can be taken away and applied to the upcoming league matches.
De Gea is a shadow of the player Real Madrid tried to sign.Ole should have stuck with Romero as his cup goalie.
Not sure replacing De Gea with Henderson is best option as that would seriously put Henderson under pressure playing for United very different to playing for Sheffield United. Not sure who would want to sign De Gea either unless he goes back to Athletico when Oblak goes to Chelsea.

oliver
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by oliver »

Marky Dread wrote:
Chelsea might not make the top 4 yet with Liverpool and Wolves next.
You don't back Man U to beat Leicester on the final day?
Putting a little stick about. Putting the frighteners on flash little twerps

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

oliver wrote:
19 Jul 2020, 10:49pm
Marky Dread wrote:
Might not need to if they best Hammers on Wednesday. Would then only need to avoid defeat to Leicester by same amount.
Ole clearly targeting Wednesday night game looking at his selection against Chelsea.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

oliver wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
I do But as 101 says might not be a requirement to win.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Marky Dread wrote:
20 Jul 2020, 8:37am
oliver wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
I do But as 101 says might not be a requirement to win.
I doubt Ole wants it to come down to a winner takes all cup final with Leicester now he has an opportunity to get an advantage and possibly kill the game.

oliver
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by oliver »

Urgh - forgot Man U had 2 games left :(
Putting a little stick about. Putting the frighteners on flash little twerps

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

gkbill wrote:
09 Jul 2020, 5:16pm
Hello,

I'm very pleased with the performance of Christian Pulisic. He's scoring regularly and the quality of goals has been good. I don't have access to the British press so I'm curious as to how he's getting along with the locker room. Does he fit in? I understand the press reports will be very suspect, but I hope he fits in at Chelsea.
Jees Pulisic played well tonight coming off the bench. He is going to be a great player.

tosh
Long Time Jerk

Post by tosh »

Thought all this was going to be a big Meh to-be honest,
But this was a fun moment

Have to day NBC can go to fuck for going to adverts as YNWA started, absolute cunts with the timing.

Playing it again was lame, just fucking stop the adverts

Klopp with another slip of the tongue is always a treat

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

tosh wrote:
22 Jul 2020, 10:36pm
Thought all this was going to be a big Meh to-be honest,
But this was a fun moment

Have to day NBC can go to fuck for going to adverts as YNWA started, absolute cunts with the timing.

Playing it again was lame, just fucking stop the adverts

Klopp with another slip of the tongue is always a treat
Yep well done Tosh you waited a very long time for this moment. Got to admire a team that went so far into the season unbeaten. Next season will be a lot tougher and I think much more competitive for top spot.

But this is now and respects to the best team in the league.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Odd thing i only saw 5-6 full liverpool games this season and on nearly every occasion i found myself underwhelmed by football they were playing. They were just scrapping games, 1-0, 2-1 kind of thing. I was wondering where the thrilling freeflowing side I'd seen a year earlier was gone.

And of course it hit me that the swashbuckling side of a year earlier hadn't been champions while this one was going to be. Like they had learned the art of winning ugly which all great champions do. When salah was struggling to recapture his form, mane stepped up a level to compensate. Henderson and Van Djik were utterly key too.

Which ramblings are all to say, maybe i just missed the swashbuckling matches this season, but either way the league table never lies and they are magnificent and worthy champions with the real special one in charge! Always loved the city and people of Liverpool so truly delighted for them.

laxman
Unknown Immortal

Post by laxman »

As a Stockport County fan I'm not sure that I am qualified to comment, but I thought Liverpool played some great stuff earlier in the season (with the front three combining superbly) combined with the ability to score late on to snatch those single goal victories. It looked like injuries etc were taking their toll just before lockdown but they were still definitely going to win the league. They deserve it just for Klopp anyway, he is a star. City play the most attractive football but seem to have been flat track bullies this year. No good winning loads of games 5-0 if you can't the win the crucial games. No doubt they will correct that for next season via some new defenders. I though United improved significantly since lockdown, with the team now having pace again, which they lacked last season. Looking more like how United fans would expect them to play, and all Ole's signings so far have been good and improved the team. Probably not a lot of difference between a few of the teams (United, Chelsea, Arsenal, Spurs, Leicester); all capable of playing well and messing things up.