Association Football Thread

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Re: Association Football Thread

Post by WestwayKid »

My son's class is studying family history/heritage, and he came home talking about "football" in the British sense of the term. My family is Welsh/English on my mom's side. I've always had a very passing interest in football, but really don't know much about it. Anyway, my son said he wanted to watch a match or two and we started talking about it and decided to find a team to support. I just don't know enough about the structure of football in the UK to know where to begin. I'm looking for teams that have geographical connections to where my family came from, specifically Devon in England and Ceredigion in Wales. I'm also thinking I don't want to go too far down the chain of levels so that we might even have the slightest of chances to follow all the way from Wisconsin.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

I'm thinking if I go with my Welsh family (they're from Aberystwyth/Llanafan) we could go with Swansea, as it's about 100 km away. If I went with my English relatives, who are from Ashburton, maybe Bournemouth?

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Couple of reasons i like Swansea. One, it's a nice town and the Welsh are good Celtic people who routed the Tories in last weeks council elections. Two, they used to run on to the pitch to the strains of White Riot although when or why that tradition ended, I'm not sure. Three, they were until recently a fan owned club and, although that too ended, they remain a good club rooted in the community and with its heart in the right place.

Exeter City is a club I like in Devon, fan owned and recovered from the dark days when Wacko Jacko himself was supposedly interested in taking a share of the club.

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Low Down Low wrote:
09 May 2022, 2:13pm
Couple of reasons i like Swansea. One, it's a nice town and the Welsh are good Celtic people who routed the Tories in last weeks council elections. Two, they used to run on to the pitch to the strains of White Riot although when or why that tradition ended, I'm not sure. Three, they were until recently a fan owned club and, although that too ended, they remain a good club rooted in the community and with its heart in the right place.

Exeter City is a club I like in Devon, fan owned and recovered from the dark days when Wacko Jacko himself was supposedly interested in taking a share of the club.
This is cool. My NFL team is the Green Bay Packers, who are the only (I believe) publically owned major sports franchise in the United States.

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

WestwayKid wrote:
09 May 2022, 2:35pm
Low Down Low wrote:
09 May 2022, 2:13pm

This is cool. My NFL team is the Green Bay Packers, who are the only (I believe) publically owned major sports franchise in the United States.
Yeah, it's an absolute deal breaker for me personally but unfortunately, Swansea faced the reality of integrity v ambition a few years ago and decided to sell out to a group of big talking American investors who, quelle surprise, have subsequently failed to live up to their promises. How they all regret it now!

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Hello,

Chelsea and Liverpool in another cup final. I'm hoping for a different outcome.

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

:cry:
gkbill wrote:
14 May 2022, 11:46am
Hello,

Best thing so far was the Liverpool fans booing Prince William before the start, been all downhill since.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Low Down Low wrote:
14 May 2022, 12:54pm
gkbill wrote:
Hello,

Best thing so far was the Liverpool fans booing Prince William before the start, been all downhill since.
I think they were booing the National Anthem which they've been doing since the 80s.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Marky Dread wrote:
14 May 2022, 3:02pm
Low Down Low wrote:
14 May 2022, 12:54pm
gkbill wrote:
Hello,

I think they were booing the National Anthem which they've been doing since the 80s.
Ah yeah fair enough, i was only half paying attention at the time so that would make sense.

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

This west ham-man city match is bananas
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Flex

Post by Flex »

West Ham secures at least a Conference League berth with today's draw and is still in it for Europa if a couple things break their way. First time in club history that they've secured a Top 7 spot on the table (at the top level, I guess I should caveat) in back to back seasons as well. Definitely a club that's on the upswing right now. Hope they can keep it up.

Pex Lives!

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Flex wrote:
15 May 2022, 11:28am
West Ham secures at least a Conference League berth with today's draw and is still in it for Europa if a couple things break their way. First time in club history that they've secured a Top 7 spot on the table (at the top level, I guess I should caveat) in back to back seasons as well. Definitely a club that's on the upswing right now. Hope they can keep it up.
Finished 5th place in 1998-1999.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Flex

Post by Flex »

Marky Dread wrote:
15 May 2022, 12:06pm
Right, but I'm saying this is their best back-to-back seasons. They finished 8th and 9th on the seasons around 98-99.

Pex Lives!

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Flex wrote:
15 May 2022, 12:23pm
Marky Dread wrote:
15 May 2022, 12:06pm
Right, but I'm saying this is their best back-to-back seasons. They finished 8th and 9th on the seasons around 98-99.
Fair enough Flex. You threw me by adding "as well".

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

laxman
Unknown Immortal

Post by laxman »

Stockport County promoted back to the football league after 11 years in the wilderness. The last few weeks have been very nerve wracking.