Association Football Thread

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Re: Association Football Thread

Post by gkbill »

Hello,

I expect Chelsea to be among the top four in a couple of days having sacked Frank.

oliver
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by oliver »

gkbill wrote:
26 Jan 2021, 6:26pm
Hello,

I expect Chelsea to be among the top four in a couple of days having sacked Frank.
I don't know what Lampard did to Werner but he's barely looked like a professional footballer in the last two months. I'm probably in a minority here but I think Havertz looks good, if a little overwhelmed with the situation.
Putting a little stick about. Putting the frighteners on flash little twerps

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

gkbill wrote:
Hello,

Dream on.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Marky Dread wrote:
28 Jan 2021, 7:35am
gkbill wrote:
Hello,

Dream on.
Hello,

Yes. I couldn't find the sarcasm font for my first comment.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

gkbill wrote:
28 Jan 2021, 11:12am
Marky Dread wrote:
28 Jan 2021, 7:35am
gkbill wrote:
Hello,

Dream on.
Hello,

Yes. I couldn't find the sarcasm font for my first comment.
Yeah I knew where you were coming from mate.😉 I think they should've given Frank a little more time. Chelsea have not been playing poorly just not firing. Some good players just waiting to catch fire. I'm not convinced Tuchel is the answer.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

oliver
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by oliver »

Marky Dread wrote:
28 Jan 2021, 11:24am
Chelsea have not been playing poorly just not firing.
Don't know about that. They've been pretty poor since winning 4-0 in Sevilla in early December. I can forgive the outclassing by Man City because they're a great team but they made Leicester look like the Ajax team of '84 the other night and the less said about the Arsenal match the better.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

oliver wrote:
28 Jan 2021, 11:43am
Marky Dread wrote:
Don't know about that. They've been pretty poor since winning 4-0 in Sevilla in early December. I can forgive the outclassing by Man City because they're a great team but they made Leicester look like the Ajax team of '84 the other night and the less said about the Arsenal match the better.
The games I've seen (prem games only) it seems they were making a lot of nice moves but spurning the opportunities in front of goal.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

oliver
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by oliver »

Marky Dread wrote:
28 Jan 2021, 1:26pm
oliver wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
The games I've seen (prem games only) it seems they were making a lot of nice moves but spurning the opportunities in front of goal.
It's possible I'm overcritical because I've seen what the players can do individually but I've also seen the slow but steady deterioration into a team bereft of all confidence who make the same defensive mistakes week-in, week-out regardless of personnel. That has to be a coaching issue.

The strong, deep squad papers over a lot of the cracks. When you can bring on Hudson-Odoi or Pulisic or Ziyech for the last 15 minutes against a tiring defence you will make chances but either the game has gone by then or it's against a bottom half team.

They've not been good enough or even dominant against any team in the top 10.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

oliver wrote:
29 Jan 2021, 10:23am
Marky Dread wrote:
28 Jan 2021, 1:26pm
oliver wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
It's possible I'm overcritical because I've seen what the players can do individually but I've also seen the slow but steady deterioration into a team bereft of all confidence who make the same defensive mistakes week-in, week-out regardless of personnel. That has to be a coaching issue.

The strong, deep squad papers over a lot of the cracks. When you can bring on Hudson-Odoi or Pulisic or Ziyech for the last 15 minutes against a tiring defence you will make chances but either the game has gone by then or it's against a bottom half team.

They've not been good enough or even dominant against any team in the top 10.
Yeah I agree with all you've said. I just think in a couple of games I've seen it's been narrow margins as to obtaining a victory. Of course the loss dents the confidence.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Hello,

The EPL has some very exciting games but the level of play in the Bundesliga is much higher. Watching Bayern-Dortmund today and seeing how players connect quick passes in tight spaces (some brilliant touches) is really impressive. Perhaps some EPL games are more exciting but damn, the German league is impressive.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

gkbill wrote:
06 Mar 2021, 3:05pm
Hello,

The EPL has some very exciting games but the level of play in the Bundesliga is much higher. Watching Bayern-Dortmund today and seeing how players connect quick passes in tight spaces (some brilliant touches) is really impressive. Perhaps some EPL games are more exciting but damn, the German league is impressive.
The top teams yes but not the whole league.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

gkbill wrote:
06 Mar 2021, 3:05pm
Hello,

I've gotten into EPL for more social reasons over the years but i've recommended to american friends mildly interested in the sport to check out bundesliga first. great style for an american sensibility and the marquee matchups are some of the best games you'll see. I don't catch as many now because of time, but a few years back I watched a ton of games and they were a lot of fun (as marky says, with the top teams at least).
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Sad to see Peter Lorimer and Frank Worthington, two former Leeds greats, gone within a week of each other. Lorimer was one of my first sporting heroes, the reason i became a Leeds fan around the age of 7 and had the pleasure of meeting him some years ago. Came across a kind and courteous man.

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Low Down Low wrote:
23 Mar 2021, 11:16am
Sad to see Peter Lorimer and Frank Worthington, two former Leeds greats, gone within a week of each other. Lorimer was one of my first sporting heroes, the reason i became a Leeds fan around the age of 7 and had the pleasure of meeting him some years ago. Came across a kind and courteous man.
Worthington came to my club when he was way past his prime but still one of the best players I've seen in a Sunderland shirt. I actually met him one day in WH Smith in Newcastle around 1983. He was out shopping with his dolly bird girlfriend and had a pair of awesome snake skin cowboy boots on. I asked if I could have his autograph but explained I didn't have a pen. He laughed and said "you're in a bloody stationary shop, son". He then bought a pen at the counter and signed my scrap of paper. Seemed a lovely fella.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Heston wrote:
23 Mar 2021, 11:26am
Low Down Low wrote:
23 Mar 2021, 11:16am
Worthington came to my club when he was way past his prime but still one of the best players I've seen in a Sunderland shirt. I actually met him one day in WH Smith in Newcastle around 1983. He was out shopping with his dolly bird girlfriend and had a pair of awesome snake skin cowboy boots on. I asked if I could have his autograph but explained I didn't have a pen. He laughed and said "you're in a bloody stationary shop, son". He then bought a pen at the counter and signed my scrap of paper. Seemed a lovely fella.
Reading some lovely tributes to him today. Had some amount of clubs and made lifelong friends everywhere he went. Just very sad to see such a jolly, fun loving character go the way he did.