Association Football Thread

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Re: Association Football Thread

Post by Marky Dread »

Flex wrote:
26 Nov 2022, 11:50am
gkbill wrote:
25 Nov 2022, 5:22pm
Marky Dread wrote:
25 Nov 2022, 5:07pm
Well played USA a good pressing game. England should've played with a more aggressive team from the off. Grealish and Henderson made a difference when they came on. Still a point is decent I suppose and keeps us in a good position.
Hello,

Yes. McGuire was very good defensively but I liked the US defense - don't pressure McGuire, pressure McGuire's options.

I'm happiest about the US controlling their own fate on Tuesday. It's a shame about Wales but Hennesy's tackle was crazy reckless and he deserved to go.
Yeah, real nice performance from USA. I was at a local soccer bar and the place was at capacity (literally. There was a fire Marshall or whatever instructing them to count each person in and out). Very fun match to watch with a room packed with US supporters. I think everyone in the bar was quite happy with the result.

Beat Iran on Tuesday and we're through. Can't ask for fairer than that.

Offense is still pretty suspect but I think if we play Iran like we did England yesterday we have a great chance of winning and advancing.
I agree a very solid performance from USA. England didn't live up to expectations simply because Southgate seemed afraid to use the strength and depth of squad. Until the changes I thought USA were the better team all over the park.

It was clear that we were tracking back and losing the midfield. Why Southgate waited so long to make those changes is beyond me. Both Bellingham and Sterling were ineffective and Mount not strong enough. Foden with his attacking pace would've been a much better option. England should've started with their strongest team but instead Southgate chose to go with the same 11. The end result was a positive especially as the USA were solid. I hope Kane is rested against Wales and Wilson plays.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Flex wrote:
26 Nov 2022, 11:50am

Yeah, real nice performance from USA. I was at a local soccer bar and the place was at capacity (literally. There was a fire Marshall or whatever instructing them to count each person in and out). Very fun match to watch with a room packed with US supporters. I think everyone in the bar was quite happy with the result.

Beat Iran on Tuesday and we're through. Can't ask for fairer than that.

Offense is still pretty suspect but I think if we play Iran like we did England yesterday we have a great chance of winning and advancing.
I sort of watched because it was on at the place I was at, but as soon as it ended the barkeep turned off the TV and turned up the music. It was a decidedly low key, non-sports crowd which was fine with me as I could have conversation with others, and no trouble getting the bartender's attention as needed.

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Hello,

At halftime of France-Denmark, I'd call France and Brazil the top two thus far. They'd make a good final (with Dembele and Mbappe, man what pace!). Following them would be Spain and England. Spain-Germany will tell us a lot.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

gkbill wrote:
26 Nov 2022, 12:55pm
Hello,

At halftime of France-Denmark, I'd call France and Brazil the top two thus far. They'd make a good final (with Dembele and Mbappe, man what pace!). Following them would be Spain and England. Spain-Germany will tell us a lot.
France the better side for sure. But Denmark have beaten France twice this year. So they no they can win. France need to be sure not to get caught out on the counter.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Marky Dread wrote:
26 Nov 2022, 1:18pm
gkbill wrote:
Hello,

France the better side for sure. But Denmark have beaten France twice this year. So they no they can win. France need to be sure not to get caught out on the counter.
From Marky's fingertips right to the pitch. Suddenly all level. This match is really starting to cook.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Flex wrote:
26 Nov 2022, 1:27pm
Marky Dread wrote:
26 Nov 2022, 1:18pm
gkbill wrote:
Hello,

From Marky's fingertips right to the pitch. Suddenly all level. This match is really starting to cook.
Great entertaining match.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Olaf
Unknown Immortal

Post by Olaf »

MVP for Germany so far: Costa Rica.
Who pfaffed the pfaff? Who got pfaffed tonight?

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Olaf wrote:
27 Nov 2022, 2:19pm
MVP for Germany so far: Costa Rica.
MVP for Costa Rica so far: Japan.😉

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

msza2
Junco Partner

Post by msza2 »

Wild that this deep into the tournament only 2 teams have been eliminated. The final group matches are gonna be nuts -- almost everyone can qualify for the R16 with a win lol.

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Should be an exciting day. England should be fine, but I imagine Wales will be playing with a lot of fire in their belly so it may be a pretty high intensity match. Wales is going to be extremely aggressive and it'll pay off a little also open them up to a serious gashing. I think you guys end up winning 3-1.

USA/Iran should be epic. I like the USA's chances of a win and advance and I'll be REALLY thrilled if we can get a goal up early and force Iran to not just park the bus. Iran's got some real talent, and the decision to suspend league play earlier in the fall and let the national team play together more has obviously paid off with a cohesive team, but I don't think it will be enough. USA wins 2-0 on early and late Pulisic goals.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Flex wrote:
29 Nov 2022, 10:40am
Should be an exciting day. England should be fine, but I imagine Wales will be playing with a lot of fire in their belly so it may be a pretty high intensity match. Wales is going to be extremely aggressive and it'll pay off a little also open them up to a serious gashing. I think you guys end up winning 3-1.

USA/Iran should be epic. I like the USA's chances of a win and advance and I'll be REALLY thrilled if we can get a goal up early and force Iran to not just park the bus. Iran's got some real talent, and the decision to suspend league play earlier in the fall and let the national team play together more has obviously paid off with a cohesive team, but I don't think it will be enough. USA wins 2-0 on early and late Pulisic goals.
It would be cool if Iran won the whole damn thing and that lead to some serious meaningful change for that country. But this life and not the movies.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Flex wrote:

England v Wales: will be tight. But I don't see Wales winning.

USA v Iran: I think USA will destroy Iran will their attacking quality and pace.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Marky Dread wrote:
29 Nov 2022, 11:43am
Flex wrote:

USA v Iran: I think USA will destroy Iran will their attacking quality and pace.
Hello,

I wonder how much Iran will try and play - will they bunker for a draw?

Senegal goes through - even without Mane! The game with Ecuador was edge-of-the-seat for the last minutes!

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

gkbill wrote:
29 Nov 2022, 1:05pm
Marky Dread wrote:
29 Nov 2022, 11:43am
Flex wrote:

Hello,

I wonder how much Iran will try and play - will they bunker for a draw?

Senegal goes through - even without Mane! The game with Ecuador was edge-of-the-seat for the last minutes!
Iran may do that. But I don't imagine for a second that the USA will play for anything less than a win.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »