Association Football Thread

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Olaf
Unknown Immortal

Re: Association Football Thread

Post by Olaf »

Congrats, England, well done. And thanks for putting an end to Jogi Löw's misery.

Seriously, if England don't win this one, they never will.
Who pfaffed the pfaff? Who got pfaffed tonight?

Olaf
Unknown Immortal

Post by Olaf »

Man, Wally would be all excited.
Who pfaffed the pfaff? Who got pfaffed tonight?

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Olaf wrote:
30 Jun 2021, 2:57am
Man, Wally would be all excited.
:approve:

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

ArmagideonTim
Dirty Punk

Post by ArmagideonTim »

Fuckin hell, a final. Never thought I'd see the day 🎉 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Hello,

I was hoping for Denmark to advance to continue their story - but England deserved to go on. Sterling is having a great tourney. I just hope the Italians don't plan on kicking him six feet up every time he gets the ball outside the area.

FarawayTowns
Bang Ice Geezer

Post by FarawayTowns »

gkbill wrote:
07 Jul 2021, 8:56pm
Hello,

I was hoping for Denmark to advance to continue their story - but England deserved to go on. Sterling is having a great tourney. I just hope the Italians don't plan on kicking him six feet up every time he gets the ball outside the area.
Denmark ran out of steam after about 60/70 minutes. They were disadvantaged by the amount of travelling that they had to do. Also never quite understood ​why Damsgard was substituted in every game around the 60 minute mark.
Sterling has been one of England's best players of the tournament. To me it goes without saying although I still know people who don't rate him and say that they never will.
Pickford looked a bit shaky last night hopefully just a one off.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

FarawayTowns wrote:
08 Jul 2021, 3:40pm
gkbill wrote:
Hello,

Denmark ran out of steam after about 60/70 minutes. They were disadvantaged by the amount of travelling that they had to do. Also never quite understood ​why Damsgard was substituted in every game around the 60 minute mark.
Sterling has been one of England's best players of the tournament. To me it goes without saying although I still know people who don't rate him and say that they never will.
I think Luke Shaw has been the outstanding player for England. Sterling has been terrific although he can get greedy around the box at times when the simple pass is on.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

My love for football has been reignited. Whether it stays that way remains to be seen but this has been a great tournament, and England in the final is the icing on the cake.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Well done England, some luck with the peno but you take it when it comes. They were the better team by far and its going to be an interesting final, very tense I'd imagine. I've really enjoyed this tournament but it won't rekindle any passion for the premier or champions league, it's simply reminded me that international football is the true pinnacle of the sport and will always be.

laxman
Unknown Immortal

Post by laxman »

Marky Dread wrote:
08 Jul 2021, 5:17pm
FarawayTowns wrote:
gkbill wrote:
Hello,

I think Luke Shaw has been the outstanding player for England. Sterling has been terrific although he can get greedy around the box at times when the simple pass is on.
I'm not a United fan but I am pleased to see Luke Shaw doing so well. Jose clearly didn't rate him, it just shows how a player needs a run of games and the confidence of his manager to be able to perform.

I'll be surprised (albeit pleasantly surprised) if England win on Sunday, for four reasons. Pickford looks like an accident waiting to happen, they need to get him calmed down, the second half of extra time worried me that we will be too negative, if it goes to penalties and last but definitely not least, Italy look rather good!

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

laxman wrote:
09 Jul 2021, 2:35am
Marky Dread wrote:
FarawayTowns wrote:
gkbill wrote:
Hello,

I'm not a United fan but I am pleased to see Luke Shaw doing so well. Jose clearly didn't rate him, it just shows how a player needs a run of games and the confidence of his manager to be able to perform.

I'll be surprised (albeit pleasantly surprised) if England win on Sunday, for four reasons. Pickford looks like an accident waiting to happen, they need to get him calmed down, the second half of extra time worried me that we will be too negative, if it goes to penalties and last but definitely not least, Italy look rather good!
I think Italy are negative in their play. Just counter attacks. They were lucky against Spain as Spain were the better team but just took poor penalties. England are good enough to beat them.

Yes Pickford does need to stay calm but he needs his back four to stay solid. It will be tight but I believe England can win.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

FarawayTowns
Bang Ice Geezer

Post by FarawayTowns »

Marky Dread wrote:
FarawayTowns wrote:
gkbill wrote:
Hello,

Yes, Shaw has been good. I'm pleased that he has fulfilled his potential. It looked very unlikely after he suffered the double leg fracture. When I believe to recall reading he could have lost his leg :sad:

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Getting in the mood...

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Gotta gave this one...

I wonder whatever happened to that guitar?

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

oliver
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by oliver »

Sorry to bring down the mood, but is there anything worse than this football song? I almost can't bring myself to post it,

To lighten the mood, have a totally pointless remake of Vindaloo. I would have posted the original but this one has Danny Dyer needing a lyric sheet to remember "knit one pearl one, drop one, curl one"

Putting a little stick about. Putting the frighteners on flash little twerps