Association Football Thread

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Re: Association Football Thread

Post by Low Down Low »

Marky Dread wrote:
23 Nov 2022, 11:51am
All this fuss that we're likely to lose Kane. Callum Wilson is stronger and more direct and has been playing way better than Kane on current Premier league form.

5 goal scorers 6 goals none for Kane. Of course we can win without him.
England management aren't aware of this but I put Kane down as tournament top scorer in our World Cup sweep so there's pretty much an extra goalkeeper there whenever he takes a shot!

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Low Down Low wrote:
23 Nov 2022, 12:15pm
Marky Dread wrote:
23 Nov 2022, 11:26am
Low Down Low wrote:
23 Nov 2022, 11:17am
Gimme Honda, gimme Sony, none of your Vorsprung Durch Technik, thanks.
Ouch!
Ah, only taking the piss. Only caught the end of it, everybody loves an underdog!
Obviously banter mate. All par for the course. 😉

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Marky Dread wrote:
23 Nov 2022, 11:14am
England win 3-1. 😉
As someone rooting for the US obviously I'd like to see something different. I think if the USMNT can keep it to even a 1 goal deficit they have a fighting shot to get to the next round (assuming Wales and Iran go as everyone assumes it will, we've seen some great upsets but Iran really didn't look like they had anything when they played you guys the other day) - and then assuming England plays Wales to win it even though you guys would have it all sewn up by then - I still like the chances of U.S. getting the better of Wales on point differential but, ugh, would really rather not have to game that out.

England's a really likable squad for the most part so I'm happy jumping on that bandwagon once US and the various underdogs are out of it, but I'd obviously like to see both England and the US advance for now.

A couple nice upsets (and some amusing drubbings) so far though, fun world cup so far.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Flex wrote:
23 Nov 2022, 1:48pm
Marky Dread wrote:
England win 3-1. 😉
As someone rooting for the US obviously I'd like to see something different. I think if the USMNT can keep it to even a 1 goal deficit they have a fighting shot to get to the next round (assuming Wales and Iran go as everyone assumes it will, we've seen some great upsets but Iran really didn't look like they had anything when they played you guys the other day) - and then assuming England plays Wales to win it even though you guys would have it all sewn up by then - I still like the chances of U.S. getting the better of Wales on point differential but, ugh, would really rather not have to game that out.

England's a really likable squad for the most part so I'm happy jumping on that bandwagon once US and the various underdogs are out of it, but I'd obviously like to see both England and the US advance for now.

A couple nice upsets (and some amusing drubbings) so far though, fun world cup so far.
Yeah on form the US will beat Iran, I don't see any other outcome there. England's toughest match in the group will be against Wales and that's when the current form goes out the window and rivalry comes into play.

Great to see Japan winning today as the underdogs they put in a very spirited performance and Germany were their own worst enemy.

Spain thumped Costa Rica but C R were very poor and so nieve tactically. I can't remember seeing such a one sided affair.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Marky Dread wrote:
23 Nov 2022, 2:29pm
Flex wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
England win 3-1. 😉

Yeah on form the US will beat Iran, I don't see any other outcome there. England's toughest match in the group will be against Wales and that's when the current form goes out the window and rivalry comes into play.

Great to see Japan winning today as the underdogs they put in a very spirited performance and Germany were their own worst enemy.

Spain thumped Costa Rica but C R were very poor and so nieve tactically. I can't remember seeing such a one sided affair.
Hello,

I'm curious as to how the US plan for England. Will they bunker and try to steal a point? The team is very young so will they go out and battle? That would be beneficial for 2026. I can see the US going for it 1st half, then dropping back at the half if the score is even to grab a point. If the score is even at the half (or some point), does England rest bodies for Wales? Rivalry will be a force in that game.

I was disappointed for Costa Rica as I like Navas.

Flex

Post by Flex »

gkbill wrote:
23 Nov 2022, 3:06pm
Hello,

I'm curious as to how the US plan for England. Will they bunker and try to steal a point? The team is very young so will they go out and battle? That would be beneficial for 2026. I can see the US going for it 1st half, then dropping back at the half if the score is even to grab a point. If the score is even at the half (or some point), does England rest bodies for Wales? Rivalry will be a force in that game.

I think what you outline, especially if we can be even at half, would play pretty well for the US and help mask some of our failings. It was obvious that we'd run out of steam early last match, if we can be aggressive early and then bunker down that's pretty ideal.

Pex Lives!

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

gkbill wrote:
23 Nov 2022, 3:06pm
Marky Dread wrote:
23 Nov 2022, 2:29pm
Flex wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
England win 3-1. 😉

Hello,

I guess an early goal would suit either side. However if it goes to England then the USA would be forced to come out and play more attacking football and England would exploit the space between the lines.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Watching ITV1 for the Netherlands v Ecuador match and spotted the link had "I Will Dare" by The Replacements.😎

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Well played USA a good pressing game. England should've played with a more aggressive team from the off. Grealish and Henderson made a difference when they came on. Still a point is decent I suppose and keeps us in a good position.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Marky Dread wrote:
25 Nov 2022, 5:07pm
Well played USA a good pressing game. England should've played with a more aggressive team from the off. Grealish and Henderson made a difference when they came on. Still a point is decent I suppose and keeps us in a good position.
Hello,

Yes. McGuire was very good defensively but I liked the US defense - don't pressure McGuire, pressure McGuire's options.

I'm happiest about the US controlling their own fate on Tuesday. It's a shame about Wales but Hennesy's tackle was crazy reckless and he deserved to go.

laxman
Unknown Immortal

Post by laxman »

Wayne Hennessey is a Stockport County legend. In 2007 as a 19 year old he joined us on loan from Wolves and in his first nine professional games kept nine clean sheets. County won all nine games, breaking a 119 year old Football League record for consecutive wins without conceding a goal. Not a bad start to his career!

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

laxman wrote:
25 Nov 2022, 6:17pm
Wayne Hennessey is a Stockport County legend. In 2007 as a 19 year old he joined us on loan from Wolves and in his first nine professional games kept nine clean sheets. County won all nine games, breaking a 119 year old Football League record for consecutive wins without conceding a goal. Not a bad start to his career!
So basically what you're saying is if Wales should go out of the world cup everyone should blame Stockport County and you. Fair enough then. 🤣

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

laxman
Unknown Immortal

Post by laxman »

Marky Dread wrote:
25 Nov 2022, 7:22pm
laxman wrote:
So basically what you're saying is if Wales should go out of the world cup everyone should blame Stockport County and you. Fair enough then. 🤣
Exactly right. We got him to peak 15 years too soon!

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

laxman wrote:
25 Nov 2022, 7:37pm
Marky Dread wrote:
25 Nov 2022, 7:22pm
laxman wrote:
Exactly right. We got him to peak 15 years too soon!
:mrgreen:

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Flex

Post by Flex »

gkbill wrote:
25 Nov 2022, 5:22pm
Marky Dread wrote:
25 Nov 2022, 5:07pm
Hello,

Yes. McGuire was very good defensively but I liked the US defense - don't pressure McGuire, pressure McGuire's options.

I'm happiest about the US controlling their own fate on Tuesday. It's a shame about Wales but Hennesy's tackle was crazy reckless and he deserved to go.
Yeah, real nice performance from USA. I was at a local soccer bar and the place was at capacity (literally. There was a fire Marshall or whatever instructing them to count each person in and out). Very fun match to watch with a room packed with US supporters. I think everyone in the bar was quite happy with the result.

Beat Iran on Tuesday and we're through. Can't ask for fairer than that.

Offense is still pretty suspect but I think if we play Iran like we did England yesterday we have a great chance of winning and advancing.

Pex Lives!