Association Football Thread

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
101Walterton
User avatar
The Best
Posts: 17835
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 5:36pm
Location: Volcanic Rock In The Pacific

Re: Association Football Thread

Post by 101Walterton » 20 Jan 2019, 7:23pm

Marky Dread wrote:
20 Jan 2019, 5:06pm
laxman wrote:
20 Jan 2019, 3:43pm
101Walterton wrote:
20 Jan 2019, 3:08pm
Marky Dread wrote:
20 Jan 2019, 7:17am
laxman wrote:
20 Jan 2019, 7:13am



Glad you agree with me about Mike Phelan. I think maybe Ole has been a bit lucky with the way the fixtures have fallen (but Spurs away was obviously a tough one), but isn't it obvious that if you have a great array of attackers and a not so good defence then you play an attacking game rather than a defensive game? Also, it is the Man Utd way.
Agreed on all points. I think the schedule is not really relevant whether it's a top 4 side or bottom 4 side there are no easy games in the Prem.
Laxman on paper you could say the fixtures were kind but they were also the gsm s Mourinho wasn’t winning. I thought the big test was beating Brighton after the Tottenham win which was always Mourihno’s problem. He could win the one off games against the big guns but couldn’t back it up devaluing the win.
I put it down to confidence. Rashford is back to his old self not afraid to have a crack. Same with Pogba, he will miscue some passes in a games but then he will hit one like he did to beat Tottenham. That goal would never have happened under Mourinho.
All I was meaning was that those first games haven't included PSG, City or Liverpool. They might have been tricky assignments so early in his tenure. I see similarities between Utd and Arsenal, both with stronger attacks than defences. Arsenal embraced a more attacking approach than Utd did under Maureen and did fine, only coming a cropper when they played the top teams.
Friday night's F.A. cup match will be interesting.
7-6 United!!

Marky Dread
User avatar
Messiah of the Milk Bar
Posts: 40817
Joined: 17 Jun 2008, 11:26am

Re: Association Football Thread

Post by Marky Dread » 20 Jan 2019, 7:50pm

101Walterton wrote:
20 Jan 2019, 7:23pm
Marky Dread wrote:
20 Jan 2019, 5:06pm
laxman wrote:
20 Jan 2019, 3:43pm
101Walterton wrote:
20 Jan 2019, 3:08pm
Marky Dread wrote:
20 Jan 2019, 7:17am


Agreed on all points. I think the schedule is not really relevant whether it's a top 4 side or bottom 4 side there are no easy games in the Prem.
Laxman on paper you could say the fixtures were kind but they were also the gsm s Mourinho wasn’t winning. I thought the big test was beating Brighton after the Tottenham win which was always Mourihno’s problem. He could win the one off games against the big guns but couldn’t back it up devaluing the win.
I put it down to confidence. Rashford is back to his old self not afraid to have a crack. Same with Pogba, he will miscue some passes in a games but then he will hit one like he did to beat Tottenham. That goal would never have happened under Mourinho.
All I was meaning was that those first games haven't included PSG, City or Liverpool. They might have been tricky assignments so early in his tenure. I see similarities between Utd and Arsenal, both with stronger attacks than defences. Arsenal embraced a more attacking approach than Utd did under Maureen and did fine, only coming a cropper when they played the top teams.
Friday night's F.A. cup match will be interesting.
7-6 United!!
Think it will be more high scoring than that. 10-11 United!
Image

101Walterton
User avatar
The Best
Posts: 17835
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 5:36pm
Location: Volcanic Rock In The Pacific

Re: Association Football Thread

Post by 101Walterton » 22 Jan 2019, 3:11pm

When I said make Salah disappear this wasn’t what I meant!!!





P.s too soon?

Marky Dread
User avatar
Messiah of the Milk Bar
Posts: 40817
Joined: 17 Jun 2008, 11:26am

Re: Association Football Thread

Post by Marky Dread » 22 Jan 2019, 6:37pm

101Walterton wrote:
22 Jan 2019, 3:11pm
When I said make Salah disappear this wasn’t what I meant!!!





P.s too soon?
Poor fucker what a horrible story.
Image

matedog
User avatar
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought
Posts: 21038
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 4:07pm
Location: 1995

Re: Association Football Thread

Post by matedog » 22 Jan 2019, 6:54pm

101Walterton wrote:
22 Jan 2019, 3:11pm
When I said make Salah disappear this wasn’t what I meant!!!





P.s too soon?
What happened with Salah? I saw he made some cryptic tweet.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

101Walterton
User avatar
The Best
Posts: 17835
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 5:36pm
Location: Volcanic Rock In The Pacific

Re: Association Football Thread

Post by 101Walterton » 23 Jan 2019, 1:20am

matedog wrote:
22 Jan 2019, 6:54pm
101Walterton wrote:
22 Jan 2019, 3:11pm
When I said make Salah disappear this wasn’t what I meant!!!





P.s too soon?
What happened with Salah? I saw he made some cryptic tweet.
No was making a bad taste joke about Sala. Striker signed by Cardiff from Nantes but his plane has gone missing on way to Wales.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football ... e-13890265

matedog
User avatar
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought
Posts: 21038
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 4:07pm
Location: 1995

Re: Association Football Thread

Post by matedog » 23 Jan 2019, 10:58am

101Walterton wrote:
23 Jan 2019, 1:20am
matedog wrote:
22 Jan 2019, 6:54pm
101Walterton wrote:
22 Jan 2019, 3:11pm
When I said make Salah disappear this wasn’t what I meant!!!





P.s too soon?
What happened with Salah? I saw he made some cryptic tweet.
No was making a bad taste joke about Sala. Striker signed by Cardiff from Nantes but his plane has gone missing on way to Wales.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football ... e-13890265
Aaah, my soccer knowledge extends to current/former Liverpool players (and the megastars), so the joke was lost on me. But I get it now!
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Marky Dread
User avatar
Messiah of the Milk Bar
Posts: 40817
Joined: 17 Jun 2008, 11:26am

Re: Association Football Thread

Post by Marky Dread » 26 Jan 2019, 8:37am

Marky Dread wrote:
20 Jan 2019, 7:50pm
101Walterton wrote:
20 Jan 2019, 7:23pm
Marky Dread wrote:
20 Jan 2019, 5:06pm
laxman wrote:
20 Jan 2019, 3:43pm
101Walterton wrote:
20 Jan 2019, 3:08pm


Laxman on paper you could say the fixtures were kind but they were also the gsm s Mourinho wasn’t winning. I thought the big test was beating Brighton after the Tottenham win which was always Mourihno’s problem. He could win the one off games against the big guns but couldn’t back it up devaluing the win.
I put it down to confidence. Rashford is back to his old self not afraid to have a crack. Same with Pogba, he will miscue some passes in a games but then he will hit one like he did to beat Tottenham. That goal would never have happened under Mourinho.
All I was meaning was that those first games haven't included PSG, City or Liverpool. They might have been tricky assignments so early in his tenure. I see similarities between Utd and Arsenal, both with stronger attacks than defences. Arsenal embraced a more attacking approach than Utd did under Maureen and did fine, only coming a cropper when they played the top teams.
Friday night's F.A. cup match will be interesting.
7-6 United!!
Think it will be more high scoring than that. 10-11 United!
Bada boom bada Bing! Hear the United boys sing!
Image

101Walterton
User avatar
The Best
Posts: 17835
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 5:36pm
Location: Volcanic Rock In The Pacific

Re: Association Football Thread

Post by 101Walterton » 26 Jan 2019, 10:21pm

Marky Dread wrote:
26 Jan 2019, 8:37am
Marky Dread wrote:
20 Jan 2019, 7:50pm
101Walterton wrote:
20 Jan 2019, 7:23pm
Marky Dread wrote:
20 Jan 2019, 5:06pm
laxman wrote:
20 Jan 2019, 3:43pm


All I was meaning was that those first games haven't included PSG, City or Liverpool. They might have been tricky assignments so early in his tenure. I see similarities between Utd and Arsenal, both with stronger attacks than defences. Arsenal embraced a more attacking approach than Utd did under Maureen and did fine, only coming a cropper when they played the top teams.
Friday night's F.A. cup match will be interesting.
7-6 United!!
Think it will be more high scoring than that. 10-11 United!
Bada boom bada Bing! Hear the United boys sing!
Mrs Walterton turned 50 this weekend and we had a big bash at home. I did a speech and at the end before I did the toast I made everyone toast Ole Gunnar Solskjaer. I didn’t explain who he was or why and 99% of the people who toasted Ole had no idea who he was and presumed he must have been an old friend or something Everyone was asking 25.25W but he was shaking his head saying it’s just my Dad amusing himself 😂

Marky Dread
User avatar
Messiah of the Milk Bar
Posts: 40817
Joined: 17 Jun 2008, 11:26am

Re: Association Football Thread

Post by Marky Dread » 27 Jan 2019, 6:47am

101Walterton wrote:
26 Jan 2019, 10:21pm
Marky Dread wrote:
26 Jan 2019, 8:37am
Marky Dread wrote:
20 Jan 2019, 7:50pm
101Walterton wrote:
20 Jan 2019, 7:23pm
Marky Dread wrote:
20 Jan 2019, 5:06pm


Friday night's F.A. cup match will be interesting.
7-6 United!!
Think it will be more high scoring than that. 10-11 United!
Bada boom bada Bing! Hear the United boys sing!
Mrs Walterton turned 50 this weekend and we had a big bash at home. I did a speech and at the end before I did the toast I made everyone toast Ole Gunnar Solskjaer. I didn’t explain who he was or why and 99% of the people who toasted Ole had no idea who he was and presumed he must have been an old friend or something Everyone was asking 25.25W but he was shaking his head saying it’s just my Dad amusing himself 😂
A fine toast. In fact I'll raise a glass to that. :approve:
Image

101Walterton
User avatar
The Best
Posts: 17835
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 5:36pm
Location: Volcanic Rock In The Pacific

Re: Association Football Thread

Post by 101Walterton » 18 Feb 2019, 11:05pm

Will they finally put this 'Super Coach' myth to bed now. Football is 80% man management and 20% tactics not the other way round. Sick of hearing about Guardiola, Klopp, Mourihno and even Sarri???? reinventing football. All bollocks.
Ferguson was renown for lacking tactical smarts yet was a serial winner because he got the best out of his players.
Klopp doing alright at Liverpool after buying the worlds most expensive defender and goalkeeper (but still hasn't won anything with Liverpool). His master tactics didn't work until he bought 2 of the worlds best players.
Guardiola has won things at City but he can also buy any player he wants and play any tactics with the best squad in the league.
Sarri did great with a squad of players at his disposal but his tactics were formed around the players he had. Look what happens when he tries to do his 'Sarri Ball' elsewhere, it is a fucking disaster. It was the players not his tactics.
Mourihno was successful at Chelsea because he had a squad of players who would die for him not because of his tactical genius. When his same tactics didn't work at United he blamed the players but truth is he believed his own press and thought it was about him and as a result of his behaviour he didn't have the backing of his players.
You can have the best tactics in the world but if your goalkeeper drops the ball or your striker misses an open goal there is f'all your tactics will do. It is about getting the best out of the players not making the players play out your Masterplan.

Marky Dread
User avatar
Messiah of the Milk Bar
Posts: 40817
Joined: 17 Jun 2008, 11:26am

Re: Association Football Thread

Post by Marky Dread » 19 Feb 2019, 8:54am

101Walterton wrote:
18 Feb 2019, 11:05pm
Will they finally put this 'Super Coach' myth to bed now. Football is 80% man management and 20% tactics not the other way round. Sick of hearing about Guardiola, Klopp, Mourihno and even Sarri???? reinventing football. All bollocks.
Ferguson was renown for lacking tactical smarts yet was a serial winner because he got the best out of his players.
Klopp doing alright at Liverpool after buying the worlds most expensive defender and goalkeeper (but still hasn't won anything with Liverpool). His master tactics didn't work until he bought 2 of the worlds best players.
Guardiola has won things at City but he can also buy any player he wants and play any tactics with the best squad in the league.
Sarri did great with a squad of players at his disposal but his tactics were formed around the players he had. Look what happens when he tries to do his 'Sarri Ball' elsewhere, it is a fucking disaster. It was the players not his tactics.
Mourihno was successful at Chelsea because he had a squad of players who would die for him not because of his tactical genius. When his same tactics didn't work at United he blamed the players but truth is he believed his own press and thought it was about him and as a result of his behaviour he didn't have the backing of his players.
You can have the best tactics in the world but if your goalkeeper drops the ball or your striker misses an open goal there is f'all your tactics will do. It is about getting the best out of the players not making the players play out your Masterplan.
Agreed.
Image

Low Down Low
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer
Posts: 1680
Joined: 21 Aug 2014, 9:08am

Re: Association Football Thread

Post by Low Down Low » 19 Feb 2019, 9:12am

Excellent post 101. Agree on nearly everything there. I think a lot of the football media have a vested interest in making the game seem more complex and sophisticated than it is and can’t blame them in one way as writing the same article over and over about Jose Mourinho must get deadly tiresome after a while.

For me the last significant tactical innovation was tiki taka which some loved and others found boring. As for klopps “gegenpressing” that’s been in football for decades. In his own way Jack Charlton did it with ireland in the 1980s and it was regarded as a caveman approach at the time.

101Walterton
User avatar
The Best
Posts: 17835
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 5:36pm
Location: Volcanic Rock In The Pacific

Re: Association Football Thread

Post by 101Walterton » 19 Feb 2019, 3:01pm

Low Down Low wrote:
19 Feb 2019, 9:12am
Excellent post 101. Agree on nearly everything there. I think a lot of the football media have a vested interest in making the game seem more complex and sophisticated than it is and can’t blame them in one way as writing the same article over and over about Jose Mourinho must get deadly tiresome after a while.

For me the last significant tactical innovation was tiki taka which some loved and others found boring. As for klopps “gegenpressing” that’s been in football for decades. In his own way Jack Charlton did it with ireland in the 1980s and it was regarded as a caveman approach at the time.
Tiki Taka is just a variant of Ajax’s ‘total football’ that Cruyff took to Barcelona. Guardiola just expanded on it to make the most of the technically gifted players he had that weren’t physically imposing (Xavi and Iniesta) but keep possession.

Low Down Low
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer
Posts: 1680
Joined: 21 Aug 2014, 9:08am

Re: Association Football Thread

Post by Low Down Low » 19 Feb 2019, 3:59pm

101Walterton wrote:
19 Feb 2019, 3:01pm
Low Down Low wrote:
19 Feb 2019, 9:12am
Excellent post 101. Agree on nearly everything there. I think a lot of the football media have a vested interest in making the game seem more complex and sophisticated than it is and can’t blame them in one way as writing the same article over and over about Jose Mourinho must get deadly tiresome after a while.

For me the last significant tactical innovation was tiki taka which some loved and others found boring. As for klopps “gegenpressing” that’s been in football for decades. In his own way Jack Charlton did it with ireland in the 1980s and it was regarded as a caveman approach at the time.
Tiki Taka is just a variant of Ajax’s ‘total football’ that Cruyff took to Barcelona. Guardiola just expanded on it to make the most of the technically gifted players he had that weren’t physically imposing (Xavi and Iniesta) but keep possession.
Yes that’s certainly true. I’d still say it was innovative on lots of levels though and if you were being pedantic about it you’d say total football was a variant of styles that had preceded it too. The burnley team of the 60s was supposedly a forerunner of Ajax 70s team but I can’t personally vouch for the veracity of that!

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 7 guests