Whatcha reading?

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Kimmelweck
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Re: Whatcha reading?

Post by Kimmelweck »

Silent Majority wrote:
17 Nov 2020, 2:41pm
I liked Dune and I don't really feel the need to revisit any more Herbert.
Fair enough. I like Herbert’s work and his brand of sci-fi weirdness so I keep going back to it. Destination:Void; Dosadi Experiment; Whipping Star; Eyes of Heisenberg; The Godmakers, etc. I’ve enjoyed everything I’ve read of his. Most of it is a much quicker read than Dune. Plenty of other things to read though.
The chair is against the wall. The chair is against the wall. John has a long mustache. John has a long mustache.

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

Kimmelweck wrote:
17 Nov 2020, 3:12pm
Silent Majority wrote:
Fair enough. I like Herbert’s work and his brand of sci-fi weirdness so I keep going back to it. Destination:Void; Dosadi Experiment; Whipping Star; Eyes of Heisenberg; The Godmakers, etc. I’ve enjoyed everything I’ve read of his. Most of it is a much quicker read than Dune. Plenty of other things to read though.
I dug up the podcast I did on Dune,
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Kimmelweck
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by Kimmelweck »

Silent Majority wrote:
17 Nov 2020, 3:14pm
Kimmelweck wrote:
17 Nov 2020, 3:12pm
Silent Majority wrote:
I dug up the podcast I did on Dune,
Cool, I appreciate it. Will check this out. Thanks.
The chair is against the wall. The chair is against the wall. John has a long mustache. John has a long mustache.

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

88) Magic and Superstition in Europe: A Concise History from Antiquity to the Present - Michael D. Bailey. Audiobook. 2007. A dry take on the subject matter, useful and informative but never really enjoyable.

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Silent Majority wrote:
18 Nov 2020, 12:05pm
88) Magic and Superstition in Europe: A Concise History from Antiquity to the Present - Michael D. Bailey. Audiobook. 2007. A dry take on the subject matter, useful and informative but never really enjoyable.
Have you considered that perhaps someone placed a hex on you, preventing you from enjoying books? Have you offended any gnomes or leprechauns of late?
"Grab some wood, bub.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Dr. Medulla wrote:
18 Nov 2020, 12:10pm
Silent Majority wrote:
Have you considered that perhaps someone placed a hex on you, preventing you from enjoying books? Have you offended any gnomes or leprechauns of late?
My faith in Catholic Jesus keeps all gnomes and leprechauns in the bogs they belong in

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Silent Majority wrote:
18 Nov 2020, 12:12pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
18 Nov 2020, 12:10pm
Silent Majority wrote:
My faith in Catholic Jesus keeps all gnomes and leprechauns in the bogs they belong in
Okay, that rules out hexes.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

It took seven weeks, but I finished listening to Rick Perlstein's Reaganland this morning. Taking all four volumes together, it's an impressive achievement on his part, tho I probably was most engrossed by the last two. Reaganland is rich in detail and Perlstein spins a mesmerizing narrative. Carter comes off as smug and sanctimonious, almost insulted that he should have to run for re-election given his superior character and morality, esp. vis a vis the nation as a whole, let alone some b-movie actor. Reagan is equal parts master politician and snake oil salesman, but it's his technical skill that comes off as most impressive. For those versed in the history in the Reagan presidency, there are all kinds of winks to the future, such as his condemning rumours that Carter might shame the nation by trading arms to Iran to get the hostages back. There are a few glitches in the book that I noticed, such as Perlstein referring to Canada's head of government as a president (how stuff like that escapes multiple sets of eyes astounds me), so maybe there's bigger ones that might compromise the account, but it's rich for suggesting other areas of inquiry concerning the achievements of the New Right.

Up next is Eric Schlosser's Command and Control because, hey, we all need little reminders of the apocalypse.

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Dr. Medulla wrote:
23 Nov 2020, 2:57pm
It took seven weeks, but I finished listening to Rick Perlstein's Reaganland this morning. Taking all four volumes together, it's an impressive achievement on his part, tho I probably was most engrossed by the last two. Reaganland is rich in detail and Perlstein spins a mesmerizing narrative. Carter comes off as smug and sanctimonious, almost insulted that he should have to run for re-election given his superior character and morality, esp. vis a vis the nation as a whole, let alone some b-movie actor. Reagan is equal parts master politician and snake oil salesman, but it's his technical skill that comes off as most impressive. For those versed in the history in the Reagan presidency, there are all kinds of winks to the future, such as his condemning rumours that Carter might shame the nation by trading arms to Iran to get the hostages back. There are a few glitches in the book that I noticed, such as Perlstein referring to Canada's head of government as a president (how stuff like that escapes multiple sets of eyes astounds me), so maybe there's bigger ones that might compromise the account, but it's rich for suggesting other areas of inquiry concerning the achievements of the New Right.
Nice, glad to hear it compares to the earlier books.

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Olaf
Unknown Immortal

Post by Olaf »

So I'm reading this short story about a guy who builds a time machine because he wants to fit into his jeans again, and I don't know why but I keep thinking the narrator is revbob.
Who pfaffed the pfaff? Who got pfaffed tonight?

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Olaf wrote:
25 Nov 2020, 4:16pm
So I'm reading this short story about a guy who builds a time machine because he wants to fit into his jeans again, and I don't know why but I keep thinking the narrator is revbob.
What gave it away?

Olaf
Unknown Immortal

Post by Olaf »

revbob wrote:
25 Nov 2020, 5:13pm
Olaf wrote:
What gave it away?
The expression "totally ship you" didn't exist in that world.
Who pfaffed the pfaff? Who got pfaffed tonight?

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Olaf wrote:
26 Nov 2020, 12:42pm
revbob wrote:
25 Nov 2020, 5:13pm
Olaf wrote:
What gave it away?
The expression "totally ship you" didn't exist in that world.
I wouldn't want to ship in that world.

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

I just started "The Dracula Tape" in which Drac gives his side of the story that, according to him, was greatly misrepresented in Bram Stoker's book. So it's known that on Harker's visit to Castle Dracula that the Count prepared the meals. Not much of an eater himself, he has no cook in his employ. But what we didn't know is that after he cleared the table, he throws the dirty plates out the window and down the mountain. #DracDon'tDoDishes
We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

You guys are the shippest