Whatcha reading?

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Re: Whatcha reading?

Post by Sparky »

Marky Dread wrote:
19 Jul 2022, 6:53pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
19 Jul 2022, 5:59pm
Kory wrote:
19 Jul 2022, 5:50pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
19 Jul 2022, 4:56pm
In the end, as The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance put it, print the legend.
Common misconception, that was actually Tony Wilson.
Someone shot Tony Wilson?
Yeah but he didn't shoot the deputy.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
God, what a mess, on the ladder of success
Where you take one step and miss the whole first rung

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

89) Killing John Wayne: The Making of the Conqueror - Ryan Uytdewilligen. Audiobook. 2021. The making of the film where Wayne played Genghis Khan, filmed on the sands recently irradiated by the testing of nuclear bombs. An excellent narrative, though the writer refers to "Dracula himself - Boris Karloff" which raises some questions about his research and fact checking elsewhere. The Howard Hughes involvement allows the writer to go into that guy's interesting life and decline.

90) A Head Full of Ghosts - Paul Tremblay. 2015. Audiobook. Stephen King said this book scared the living shit out of him. I know I went slowly through the book, not wanting to spend much time at once in an environment so filled with dread. It closed out well, with my relief at completing it. A young woman appears to be possessed and a reality TV show turns up to film her disintegrating family through the exorcism. Told from the perspective of the eight year old younger sister, the various voices are captured perfectly.

91) Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home - Vonda N. McIntyre. 1986. Audiobook read by George Takei. Takei was, brilliantly, encouraged to mimic his cast members voices and utterly failed, at Scott's accent in particular. He was about on par with Koenig's Russian. Great story, which lost nothing in its abridgement.

92) Franklin D. Roosevelt: A Political Life - Robert Dallek. Audiobook. 2018. This book believes the hype around Roosevelt and of his singular ability to weather the storms of Depression and war. And maybe he was right. FDR had the guts to see what radical solutions were (to his mind, temporarily, in pursuit of capital's survival) needed, the political skill to get people to go along with him and circumstances which meant that a desperate nation and its state were ready for something new. He probably went as far as the country could allow. War made a hero of him by his fighting the fascists but led to his internment of innocent American citizens. He should never have run for a fourth term, deep into his decline but it was a historic victory. A mixed legacy
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Silent Majority wrote:
01 Aug 2022, 4:29pm
91) Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home - Vonda N. McIntyre. 1986. Audiobook read by George Takei. Takei was, brilliantly, encouraged to mimic his cast members voices and utterly failed, at Scott's accent in particular. He was about on par with Koenig's Russian. Great story, which lost nothing in its abridgement.
It's been a while but I'm sure I've read all the Star Trek movie novelisations (and most of the TOS tv novelisations). Besides the (correctly) notoriously regarded novelization of TMP done by the Great Bird himself, my recollection is the other books are all pretty good too and add a few decent narrative arcs that aren't found in the films (around David and Saavik, particularly). Not that I don't have a gigantic stack of unread or partially read books to go through as-is, but it would be fun to revisit these someday.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Silent Majority wrote:
90) A Head Full of Ghosts - Paul Tremblay. 2015. Audiobook. Stephen King said this book scared the living shit out of him. I know I went slowly through the book, not wanting to spend much time at once in an environment so filled with dread. It closed out well, with my relief at completing it. A young woman appears to be possessed and a reality TV show turns up to film her disintegrating family through the exorcism. Told from the perspective of the eight year old younger sister, the various voices are captured perfectly.
I listened to this one way back when: https://clashcity.com/boards/viewtopic. ... 9&#p439289
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Flex wrote:
01 Aug 2022, 4:44pm
Silent Majority wrote:
It's been a while but I'm sure I've read all the Star Trek movie novelisations (and most of the TOS tv novelisations). Besides the (correctly) notoriously regarded novelization of TMP done by the Great Bird himself, my recollection is the other books are all pretty good too and add a few decent narrative arcs that aren't found in the films (around David and Saavik, particularly). Not that I don't have a gigantic stack of unread or partially read books to go through as-is, but it would be fun to revisit these someday.
Definitely a good time to be had.

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Dr. Medulla wrote:
01 Aug 2022, 5:13pm
Silent Majority wrote:
I listened to this one way back when: https://clashcity.com/boards/viewtopic. ... 9&#p439289
I think he was successful in making the meta stuff work. A young person of that generation would plausibly be up on their pop culture to that extent, though, yeah, the essays do simultaneously feel like the author talking through the book to you

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

93) Romeo & Juliet - William Shakespeare. Play, early 1590s. Audio performance and text read. And Baz Luhrman film watched. I think the writer was less starry eyed about the lovers than his beautiful poetry from their mouths might suggest. You have mature voices of reason, the Friar and the Nurse, who support the title characters but don't see any reason for rushing to suicide. But the skill of this playwright is how effectively we can see things from all the points of view onstage and how deeply felt the emotions of Romeo and Juliet are. Whatever clapped out half witted send ups pop culture have breezily pooped out, this remains more interesting and vital than anything that have birth to so many clichés has any right to be. It shines as brightly as it ever has.

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Silent Majority wrote:
05 Aug 2022, 6:35am
93) Romeo & Juliet - William Shakespeare. Play, early 1590s. Audio performance and text read. And Baz Luhrman film watched. I think the writer was less starry eyed about the lovers than his beautiful poetry from their mouths might suggest. You have mature voices of reason, the Friar and the Nurse, who support the title characters but don't see any reason for rushing to suicide. But the skill of this playwright is how effectively we can see things from all the points of view onstage and how deeply felt the emotions of Romeo and Juliet are. Whatever clapped out half witted send ups pop culture have breezily pooped out, this remains more interesting and vital than anything that have birth to so many clichés has any right to be. It shines as brightly as it ever has.
Yeah, it's striking how effective the actual text is even if it's spawned a pop cultural monster of misremembrance of the actual contents of the play. There's a reason it can work so well in almost any cultural mashup.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Flex wrote:
05 Aug 2022, 8:55am
Silent Majority wrote:
05 Aug 2022, 6:35am
Yeah, it's striking how effective the actual text is even if it's spawned a pop cultural monster of misremembrance of the actual contents of the play. There's a reason it can work so well in almost any cultural mashup.
For real. This journey through the guy's work has been predictably rewarding so far.

94) The Patriarch: The Remarkable Life and Turbulent Times of Joseph P. Kennedy - David Nasaw. 2012. Audiobook. Kennedys main contribution to the world was to be a good enough father to his sons to allow them to find their own way politically and not be beholden to his foul anti-Semitism. With Teddy's vigorous involvement, it's hard not to expect some kind of whitewashing, but the story, varnished or un-, is still quite incredible and his end remains like that of a Greek tragedy

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

for Hooks, who likes to read in the tub

We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

tepista wrote:
08 Aug 2022, 11:00am
for Hooks, who likes to read in the tub

Fake. Where's the glass of rosé?
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Just about finished up with this one, it's been fascinating so far. I'm always really interested in the stories of the people that weren't in bands (to begin with anyway). I always thought a movie about the Bromley Contingent would be really enlightening. Who were these individualists who coalesced to make punk what it was? What were their motivations? What are they doing now? I admit I'm a bit of a victim of Golden Age Thinking for that era.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

Kory wrote:
08 Aug 2022, 3:06pm

Just about finished up with this one, it's been fascinating so far. I'm always really interested in the stories of the people that weren't in bands (to begin with anyway). I always thought a movie about the Bromley Contingent would be really enlightening. Who were these individualists who coalesced to make punk what it was? What were their motivations? What are they doing now? I admit I'm a bit of a victim of Golden Age Thinking for that era.
I really want to read this, I've heard Marky and others recommend it. I ordered a copy of this a few months back and the week it was supposed to arrive I was notified the order was cancelled because the book was unavailable. Just found out it's coming out in October in paperback, so I pre-ordered a copy, keeping my fingers crossed.
God, what a mess, on the ladder of success
Where you take one step and miss the whole first rung

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Sparky wrote:
08 Aug 2022, 8:03pm
Kory wrote:
08 Aug 2022, 3:06pm

I really want to read this, I've heard Marky and others recommend it. I ordered a copy of this a few months back and the week it was supposed to arrive I was notified the order was cancelled because the book was unavailable. Just found out it's coming out in October in paperback, so I pre-ordered a copy, keeping my fingers crossed.
I decided to plunk down for the signed slipcover version, I found a cheap one on AbeBooks so it was an easy choice. Definitely a book I won't be selling to my local used shop anyway.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

margaret45678 wrote:
11 Jun 2022, 6:52pm
tepista wrote:
11 Jun 2022, 5:39pm
The Fall, the 2nd of the Strain trilogy. Not as much a page turner as the first, but still good. I'll start the 3rd after a break.
Omg I'm reading the 3rd right now! I don't think it's much of a page turner either but then the whole series was slightly spoilt for me b/c I watched the TV show first. Still pretty enjoyable to read though!
I finally finished the 3rd Strain book, I don't think it ever took me so long to read a book. Not that I didn't like it, I got fatigued on the story, reading 3 in a row was basically a 1500+ page book. I'm gonna rewatch the series now!
Attachments
nightete.jpg
nightete.jpg (30 KiB) Viewed 706 times
We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak