Whatcha reading?

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: Whatcha reading?

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Silent Majority wrote:
27 Jan 2022, 12:31pm
17) Alice's Adventures In Wonderland - Lewis Carroll. 1865. Audiobook read by Scarlett Johansson. There are times when Johansson sounds like Leanne from King of the Hill when she does her religious puppet show, but that's no downside. I haven't read this since I was in single figures and it's still a bundle of imagination, good and very playful prose, and genuinely funny jokes, though the ending was weak. And I definitely get some of those famous nonse vibes at times.
A cool collage composition from the Disney film:
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
27 Jan 2022, 12:39pm
Silent Majority wrote:
17) Alice's Adventures In Wonderland - Lewis Carroll. 1865. Audiobook read by Scarlett Johansson. There are times when Johansson sounds like Leanne from King of the Hill when she does her religious puppet show, but that's no downside. I haven't read this since I was in single figures and it's still a bundle of imagination, good and very playful prose, and genuinely funny jokes, though the ending was weak. And I definitely get some of those famous nonse vibes at times.
Very cool.

And you simply cannot beat that old Disney style. So imaginatively fluid.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Silent Majority wrote:
28 Jan 2022, 10:57am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:
Very cool.

I think I've mentioned this before, but that movie—that version—always makes me physically uncomfortable. Like stomach knots. I feel like a kid and in peril. I have no recollection of anything bad happening to me when I watched it as a kid, yet it does evoke some childlike fear. Maybe it's just the nature of the story, I dunno.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Dr. Medulla wrote:
28 Jan 2022, 11:05am
Silent Majority wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:
Very cool.

I think I've mentioned this before, but that movie—that version—always makes me physically uncomfortable. Like stomach knots. I feel like a kid and in peril. I have no recollection of anything bad happening to me when I watched it as a kid, yet it does evoke some childlike fear. Maybe it's just the nature of the story, I dunno.
There's a definite sense of danger in the narrative and particularly the film. All the creatures are quick to anger and unpredictably erratic.

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Silent Majority wrote:
28 Jan 2022, 11:17am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
28 Jan 2022, 11:05am
Silent Majority wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:
Very cool.

There's a definite sense of danger in the narrative and particularly the film. All the creatures are quick to anger and unpredictably erratic.
And there's a psychedelic darkness to it all. Fantastical but threatening to Alice's very survival.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Silent Majority wrote:
I'm in the middle of a graphic novel called Alice in Sunderland by Bryan Talbot which examines the history of Sunderland, Lewis Carroll, and weaves the Alice books throughout. Pretty interesting so far.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Olaf
Unknown Immortal

Post by Olaf »

Kory wrote:
28 Jan 2022, 3:36pm
Silent Majority wrote:
I'm in the middle of a graphic novel called Alice in Sunderland by Bryan Talbot which examines the history of Sunderland, Lewis Carroll, and weaves the Alice books throughout. Pretty interesting so far.
Does the Mad Heston make an appearance?
Who pfaffed the pfaff? Who got pfaffed tonight?

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Olaf wrote:
28 Jan 2022, 4:14pm
Kory wrote:
28 Jan 2022, 3:36pm
Silent Majority wrote:
Does the Mad Heston make an appearance?
I'll let you know, I'm only halfway through.

Hey I just realized the Mad Hatter and the March Hare have the same initials.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

18) The Alchemist - Paulo Coelho. 1988. Audiobook, read by Jeremy's Iron. This is a fairytale dressed up as a self-help book. I don't mind its spoonfeeding me its philosophy, which takes a lot from the zen that brings me comfort and allows me to feel present. The story is good enough to keep you interested, though I suspect the writing is probably better in the original Portuguese.

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Silent Majority wrote:
31 Jan 2022, 2:13pm
18) The Alchemist - Paulo Coelho. 1988. Audiobook, read by Jeremy's Iron. This is a fairytale dressed up as a self-help book. I don't mind its spoonfeeding me its philosophy, which takes a lot from the zen that brings me comfort and allows me to feel present. The story is good enough to keep you interested, though I suspect the writing is probably better in the original Portuguese.
:lol: There must be hundreds of thousands of people out there who are no longer capable of pronouncing his name any other way.

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Dr. Medulla wrote:
31 Jan 2022, 2:29pm
Silent Majority wrote:
:lol: There must be hundreds of thousands of people out there who are no longer capable of pronouncing his name any other way.
That was a rectum style sop to you, there.

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Silent Majority wrote:
31 Jan 2022, 3:36pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
31 Jan 2022, 2:29pm
Silent Majority wrote:
That was a rectum style sop to you, there.
Darn near killed me!

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

19) Dracula's Guest and Other Weird Tales - Bram Stoker. 1914. Audiobook, read, I'm pretty sure by the guy who plays Jerry on Rick and Morty and Dr. Spaceman on 30 Rock. The title piece is a very fun short story. I could have taken a good few more cash-ins set in that extended universe. Stoker is like Lovecraft, but instead of forbidden knowledge or encroaching hostile forces, the terror tends to spring from ever leaving the South of England. Nearly all of these has an arrogant tourist, dressed in white, menaced by Europeans. Some of the stories are mediocre and dull, but it's still worth a flick.

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

Silent Majority wrote:
01 Feb 2022, 5:26pm
19) Dracula's Guest and Other Weird Tales - Bram Stoker. 1914. Audiobook, read, I'm pretty sure by the guy who plays Jerry on Rick and Morty and Dr. Spaceman on 30 Rock. The title piece is a very fun short story. I could have taken a good few more cash-ins set in that extended universe. Stoker is like Lovecraft, but instead of forbidden knowledge or encroaching hostile forces, the terror tends to spring from ever leaving the South of England. Nearly all of these has an arrogant tourist, dressed in white, menaced by Europeans. Some of the stories are mediocre and dull, but it's still worth a flick.
cool cool, it's been a while, is that the one where Harker was on his own on the trail and wolves chased him but something, likely Dracula, rescued him? I think It was an early, left out chapter of the book. Don't know why he'd leave it out.
We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

tepista wrote:
01 Feb 2022, 5:55pm
Silent Majority wrote:
01 Feb 2022, 5:26pm
cool cool, it's been a while, is that the one where Harker was on his own on the trail and wolves chased him but something, likely Dracula, rescued him? I think It was an early, left out chapter of the book. Don't know why he'd leave it out.
That's the one. As it sat separately, I didn't read the main guy as Harker but another dim Englishman that Drac got in as a dry run.

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/