Whatcha reading?

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Re: Whatcha reading?

Post by Flex »

I read that new Manson and the CIA book last summer, it was great. It does a great job tearing apart Helter skelter, although it's more conspiratorial assertions are less iron-clad (tho intriguing). Would be interesting to pair the two books together.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
04 Jul 2022, 8:19pm
tepista wrote:
04 Jul 2022, 8:07pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
04 Jul 2022, 7:34pm
Silent Majority wrote:
04 Jul 2022, 7:20pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
04 Jul 2022, 11:47am
Audiobook started today:
Somehow I've never read this, which seemed a rite of passage for any Xer in adolescence. Even kids who didn't read worked thru it. So, I'm late to the party as usual.
You're about to get really into Frank Zappa, going by the usual trajectory.
Hit eject! Hit eject!
I've got one on my shelf, never read it though
To my limited knowledge, there are no apes.
vampires though?
We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

tepista wrote:
05 Jul 2022, 12:18am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
04 Jul 2022, 8:19pm
tepista wrote:
04 Jul 2022, 8:07pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
04 Jul 2022, 7:34pm
Silent Majority wrote:
04 Jul 2022, 7:20pm

You're about to get really into Frank Zappa, going by the usual trajectory.
Hit eject! Hit eject!
I've got one on my shelf, never read it though
To my limited knowledge, there are no apes.
vampires though?
Polanski, I suppose.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

88) Titus Andronicus - William Shakespeare. 1588. Read on Kindle, with full cast performance listened to. It's a really cool play, vital, filled with an absurd amount of blood, death and violence. Half written by a forgotten hack, the immature Shakespeare brings such beauty and resonance to a story that goes hard, like a punk song, like anything that is unafraid of barriers. It loves barriers, it loves leaping over the realms of good taste. It's got no actual jokes, but I laughed out loud at some of the extremities here, which sits perfectly comfortably with the heartbreaking parts and there's no reasons why it can't.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Joe Public
Ayatollah of Rock 'n' Rolla

Post by Joe Public »

Silent Majority wrote:
08 Jul 2022, 4:40am
88) Titus Andronicus - William Shakespeare. 1588. Read on Kindle, with full cast performance listened to. It's a really cool play, vital, filled with an absurd amount of blood, death and violence. Half written by a forgotten hack, the immature Shakespeare brings such beauty and resonance to a story that goes hard, like a punk song, like anything that is unafraid of barriers. It loves barriers, it loves leaping over the realms of good taste. It's got no actual jokes, but I laughed out loud at some of the extremities here, which sits perfectly comfortably with the heartbreaking parts and there's no reasons why it can't.
Love this one. Especially Aaron's big final speech. (Look it up, gang)
Julie Taymor's "Titus" is a swell styley movie adaptation for anyone who hasn't seen it.
You gotta give the people something good to read...

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Read this for my diss research, but re-reading for possible inclusion in a 1950s seminar I'm teaching this fall. It doesn't exactly fit with the other themes of the course, but I really like the book as a way of looking at popular culture (i.e., relying on taste arguments means we either dismiss or enjoy ironically B movies). Davis argues that the aesthetics are a result of economic matters, specific to the producer and the industry at that historical point, and budget films satisfy underserved markets. In its own way, there's a Moneyball argument at work in this.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
11 Jul 2022, 11:27am
In its own way, there's a Moneyball argument at work in this.
A computer invented b-movies to piss off Joe Morgan?
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
11 Jul 2022, 11:29am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
In its own way, there's a Moneyball argument at work in this.
A computer invented b-movies to piss off Joe Morgan?
Billy [Beane] the Robot from Forbidden Planet.

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

Joe Public wrote:
08 Jul 2022, 8:52am
Silent Majority wrote:
08 Jul 2022, 4:40am
Love this one. Especially Aaron's big final speech. (Look it up, gang)
Julie Taymor's "Titus" is a swell styley movie adaptation for anyone who hasn't seen it.
On YouTube in full, I've found!
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Been reading this book on Warwick "Wally" Nightingale. Lots of info on nascent Pistols. The Strand/Swanker (not Swankers) as previously mentioned.

Stories of Jones and his mates thievery. Who actually was involved. Jones doesn't come out of it too well and is described as a a "user". And Cookie is called a "liar" regarding learning the drums. There's a few spelling mistakes such as Ian Dury being called "Drury". However this is a pre publication. Signed by author Ron Evans. Who played in the band Key West with Wally in the 80s.

It's a fun read after just watching Pistol. Fills a fair few gaps.
Attachments
ron-evans3-1024x683.jpg

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
16 Jul 2022, 1:29pm
Been reading this book on Warwick "Wally" Nightingale. Lots of info on nascent Pistols. The Strand/Swanker (not Swankers) as previously mentioned.

Stories of Jones and his mates thievery. Who actually was involved. Jones doesn't come out of it too well and is described as a a "user". And Cookie is called a "liar" regarding learning the drums. There's a few spelling mistakes such as Ian Dury being called "Drury". However this is a pre publication. Signed by author Ron Evans. Who played in the band Key West with Wally in the 80s.

Holy crap, now that is a focused, pothole-filling kind of topic!

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
Read this for my diss research,
maybe this will help
Attachments
diss.jpg
diss.jpg (122.7 KiB) Viewed 935 times
We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
16 Jul 2022, 1:40pm
Marky Dread wrote:

One bit of info I enjoyed learning about is that it took almost a year to get rid of Wally. Malcolm would turn up to band meetings at the pub after rehearsals and he would do battle with Wally to get his views across. So it was as much a personality thing as Wally not looking right.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
16 Jul 2022, 5:30pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

One bit of info I enjoyed learning about is that it took almost a year to get rid of Wally. Malcolm would turn up to band meetings at the pub after rehearsals and he would do battle with Wally to get his views across. So it was as much a personality thing as Wally not looking right.
Wally: "We're *not* sexy young assassins!"

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
16 Jul 2022, 8:13pm
Marky Dread wrote:
16 Jul 2022, 5:30pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

Wally: "We're *not* sexy young assassins!"
Pretty much.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia