Whatcha reading?

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Inder
corecore vanguard

Re: Whatcha reading?

Post by Inder »

Inder wrote:
19 Oct 2020, 11:40am
Wolter wrote:
16 Oct 2020, 3:23pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
16 Oct 2020, 3:04pm
Inder wrote:
16 Oct 2020, 2:51pm
I switched to The Exoricst, as read by the author. 😎
Oh my, the book isn't very good. The movie is absurdly better. The only Blatty novel that I can recommend (highly) is Legion, his sequel to The Exorcist and the basis for The Exorcist III.
Yeah. I never dug deeper into his work when I realized how much better the movie was.
This also fell by the wayside. I'm onto listening to The Lost World, which I am enjoying even more than JP. I still find Crichton's way of turning characters into talking Wikipedia articles endearing.
I finished this up a few weeks ago — great fun. Towards the end somewhere, an abbreviated version of "Pachycephalosaurus" appears that literally made me choke on my tea in surprise and rewind the file when the narrator said it aloud.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

"Grab some wood, bub.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

93) The Vampire Lestat - Anne Rice. 1984. Audiobook. The problem and glory of this novel is how high the author is on her own supply. She's built a cathedral for her imagination here, glorious and epic and in need of some strict editing. What I love about this is its foot in history and well realised depiction of what it would be like to be immortal. Had a lot of fun with it. I think I'll read the next in the series - Queen of the Damned - and I think that'll do for the Vampire Chronicles.

94) Caeser - Adrian Goldsworthy. 2006. Audiobook. A churlish gripe about a book on one of the greatest acknowledged generals in history, but there's too many battle descriptions in here. I find warfare really dull reading in the main and wanted to read more about the politics of Rome at the time. Hard going for me, others would probably get more out of it. The Roman Emperor project has stalled at the first hurdle.

95) Brothers of the Head - Brian Aldiss. 1977. Paperback. A horror story about some semi - feral pair of siamese twins, with a third head growing from a shoulder who are sold into a manufactured new wave band. Not particularly compassionate, and a little hurried feeling, still a good, brutal read. It's like JG Ballard meets John Wyndham with a punky twist.

96) Roadside Picnic - Boris and Arkady Sturgatsky. 1972. Audiobook, read, with a tough matter of factness by Robert Forster. A Russian sci fi novel, written with layered, realistic characters, a grotty, believable world working through the aftermath of an alien visitation and the weird ways it's messing the world up. The attention to detail is wonderful and pungent, noirish prose is brilliantly translated into idiomatic English. Its heart aches for the human condition
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

97) Song For the End - Kit Power. 2020. Kindle. A pulpy, dark fantasy with its feet on the ground. It's a unputdownable novella about a song from a local band which goes viral with deadly results. Power, a great mate of mine, writes like a Stephen King who respects your time. An excellent genre piece, pick it up while its hot.

98) The Signal-Man - Charles Dickens. 1866. Tiny paperback, also including a second short story about bad customer service at a train station restaurant. The dude could write, there's no point in denying it. Gtrat atmospheric ghost story in rich, readable prose.

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Starting this tonight:
Too late to use in my popular culture course for this upcoming term, but I'm reading with an eye on using it next year, a way to combine comics and feminism.
"Grab some wood, bub.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Silent Majority wrote:
16 Dec 2020, 7:22pm
97) Song For the End - Kit Power. 2020. Kindle. A pulpy, dark fantasy with its feet on the ground. It's a unputdownable novella about a song from a local band which goes viral with deadly results. Power, a great mate of mine, writes like a Stephen King who respects your time. An excellent genre piece, pick it up while its hot.

98) The Signal-Man - Charles Dickens. 1866. Tiny paperback, also including a second short story about bad customer service at a train station restaurant. The dude could write, there's no point in denying it. Gtrat atmospheric ghost story in rich, readable prose.
The Signal-Man is great. I should revisit this.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Marky Dread wrote:
16 Dec 2020, 7:31pm
Silent Majority wrote:

If you need a copy, I picked mine up to use up the last three quid on a book token in Waterstones. More than happy to post it to you, it's about the size and dimension of an Xmas card.

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Dr. Medulla wrote:
16 Dec 2020, 7:29pm
Starting this tonight:
Too late to use in my popular culture course for this upcoming term, but I'm reading with an eye on using it next year, a way to combine comics and feminism.
and BDSM.

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Silent Majority wrote:
16 Dec 2020, 7:32pm
Marky Dread wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:

If you need a copy, I picked mine up to use up the last three quid on a book token in Waterstones. More than happy to post it to you, it's about the size and dimension of an Xmas card.
Thanks that's kind mate. I'll PM you my address.

Also just purchased this on your recommendation and will dig in over the next few days.
Attachments
SmartSelect_20201216-233244_Kindle.jpg

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Marky Dread wrote:
16 Dec 2020, 7:35pm
Silent Majority wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:

Also just purchased this on your recommendation and will dig in over the next few days.
Brilliant.

And re:Song for the End, that's wonderful - I really hope you like it. Please let us know what you think.

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Silent Majority wrote:
16 Dec 2020, 7:37pm
Marky Dread wrote:
16 Dec 2020, 7:35pm
Silent Majority wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:

Brilliant.

And re:Song for the End, that's wonderful - I really hope you like it. Please let us know what you think.
Sure will. :approve:

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Song For the End - Kit Power

Well SM you were right I couldn't stop reading it.

This made me smile a lot. My headmaster at school was called Mr. Hopkins and we read William Golding "Lord if the Flies". The story reminded me of the Human League song "The Black Hit of Space" where the vinyl takes over everything. Only in this case it's an unnamed song that is killing all those that hears it. It does come on like a dark Stephen King but the humour sets it apart. I really enjoyed it and the story doesn't let up moving at a great pace. A very cool read.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

Marky Dread wrote:
17 Dec 2020, 8:14pm

This made me smile a lot. My headmaster at school was called Mr. Hopkins and we read William Golding "Lord if the Flies". The story reminded me of the Human League song "The Black Hit of Space" where the vinyl takes over everything. Only in this case it's an unnamed song that is killing all those that hears it. It does come on like a dark Stephen King but the humour sets it apart. I really enjoyed it and the story doesn't let up moving at a great pace. A very cool read.
I really need to read that. Kit’s good people.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Marky Dread wrote:
17 Dec 2020, 8:14pm

Brilliant, mate, thanks a lot for checking it out.

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Just finished reading Klaus by Grant Morrison. It was quite, quite excellent. Not I'm working on a collection of victorian christmas ghost stories, fun stuff.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!