Whatcha reading?

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: Whatcha reading?

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Tub book:
Finished Bertrand's Elvis and race book today. Fantastic stuff, highly recommended. I wish I'd known about it earlier as I would have taught it in a heartbeat. It's exactly how I wish more would approach writing about popular music, integrating it with its environment and appreciating its significance beyond music. My chief reservation is that the writing is a bit clumsy, often seeming like an advanced undergraduate student's honour's thesis.

Tomorrow I'll begin re-reading Reynolds. I've read it a couple times and never figured out what the point of it all was.
"I used to bullseye womp rats in my T-16 back in Whittier, they're not much bigger than two meters.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
27 Dec 2019, 3:36pm
Tub book:
Finished Bertrand's Elvis and race book today. Fantastic stuff, highly recommended. I wish I'd known about it earlier as I would have taught it in a heartbeat. It's exactly how I wish more would approach writing about popular music, integrating it with its environment and appreciating its significance beyond music. My chief reservation is that the writing is a bit clumsy, often seeming like an advanced undergraduate student's honour's thesis.

Tomorrow I'll begin re-reading Reynolds. I've read it a couple times and never figured out what the point of it all was.
I really don't understand why he documented as many post-punk bands as possible, but I don't think Magazine is even in the index.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
27 Dec 2019, 3:51pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
27 Dec 2019, 3:36pm
Tub book:

I really don't understand why he documented as many post-punk bands as possible, but I don't think Magazine is even in the index.
I read somewhere that the UK edition has several chapters that were cut from the North American version, including one on Devoto. Which is seriously odd, but it's better than Reynolds ignoring him.
"I used to bullseye womp rats in my T-16 back in Whittier, they're not much bigger than two meters.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

100) God No - Penn Jillette. Audiobook read by the author. Despite his bullshit Randian politics, I like Penn. I had a good time listening to him yelling away in this cheap cash in from the last gasps of new Atheism. It's a rambling memoir above all else. He's a likable arsehole with a massive personality.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

101) Shane - Jack Shaefer. Audiobook. The cowboy book that inspired the classic Western movie. A lovely novel about a mysterious stranger. Short and sweet with everything you'd want from the genre. Definitely gonna read more westerns this year.

Alright, 101 books completed in 2019. Probably going to be my personal best while I work full time.

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Silent Majority wrote:
01 Jan 2020, 6:27am
Alright, 101 books completed in 2019. Probably going to be my personal best while I work full time.
That's seriously impressive—practically grad school intensity. Not counting research reading, I'd wager I did around half that this year.

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Dr. Medulla wrote:
01 Jan 2020, 4:12pm
Silent Majority wrote:
That's seriously impressive—practically grad school intensity. Not counting research reading, I'd wager I did around half that this year.
I purposely chose short books at times to up my numbers, so it's less impressive than it sounds. This year, I'm not gonna let length be a consideration so the reason for counting will just go back to its original intention: encouraging me not to set books aside before finishing them.

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Silent Majority wrote:
02 Jan 2020, 3:47am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:
I purposely chose short books at times to up my numbers, so it's less impressive than it sounds. This year, I'm not gonna let length be a consideration so the reason for counting will just go back to its original intention: encouraging me not to set books aside before finishing them.
I wouldn't be so modest. Each book is a concept that requires clearing the head before engaging. Doing that every three days or so is mentally demanding.

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:
Not social work grad school.

Maj - I agree, that is seriously impressive. Plus, you really read a true range of books. I only read trashy mysteries and music books.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

JennyB wrote:
02 Jan 2020, 10:36am
Trade schools don't count. :shifty:

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
02 Jan 2020, 11:00am
JennyB wrote:
Trade schools would be more than a step up.
Got a Rake? Sure!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

JennyB wrote:
02 Jan 2020, 11:20am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
JennyB wrote:
I remember a friend of mine from high school and undergrad used to snicker at former classmates who went to tech school to become plumbers, electricians, etc., while we were doing BAs. Yeah, we're so cool. So, how many unemployed and impoverished plumbers have you heard of? A university education is very much a middle-class conceit.

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
02 Jan 2020, 12:18pm
JennyB wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
JennyB wrote:
I remember a friend of mine from high school and undergrad used to snicker at former classmates who went to tech school to become plumbers, electricians, etc., while we were doing BAs. Yeah, we're so cool. So, how many unemployed and impoverished plumbers have you heard of? A university education is very much a middle-class conceit.
Yep. A good friend of mine is an electrician and makes a shit ton of money.
Got a Rake? Sure!

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

I should keep track of how much I'm reading. I do enough of it that it seems worth documenting. Oh well.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

JennyB wrote:
02 Jan 2020, 12:21pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
02 Jan 2020, 12:18pm
JennyB wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
JennyB wrote:
Yep. A good friend of mine is an electrician and makes a shit ton of money.
And it's bullshit to suggest there's no respect toward the trades. Who the hell doesn't want a friend who is a plumber or electrician? Nobody looks down on those skills. Compare that with, say, lawyer, which tends to reflexively wrinkle most people's noses. If I had a kid who wasn't super interested in scholastic stuff, I wouldn't hesitate to encourage them to get a trade.