Whatcha reading?

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: Whatcha reading?

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Silent Majority wrote:
02 Aug 2019, 12:38pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
02 Aug 2019, 11:34am
About an hour and a half into Alberta's book (still dealing with 2008). It's extraordinarily generous to W. as a sincere and well-meaning guy who genuinely cared more about the average person than Wall Street suits, his economic team and Congressional leadership were serious about the financial meltdown, and John McCain was more than a bit of an empty suit. Um, okay, you redeemed yourself with the last part, guy, but the rest is laughable.
26 hours on the audiobook is too long for me on this one.
It's a beast, to be sure, but I chug thru 45–50 mins per bike ride. Should be done by the end of August.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

44) Mel Brooks: Funny Man - Patrick McGilligan. Audiobook. An extremely in-depth biography of Mel Brooks who comes across as a hard driving businessman who made being funny his game. It's a good showbusiness book, all the more interesting because of Brooks' longevity. I find each part of his career equally fascinating and, despite some shittiness, mostly his treatment of his first wife, am glad to leave him with his happy ending of being rich as hell with his all his wit intact in his 90s. A long book, but not one that ever drags.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

45) The Great Gatsby - F Scott Fitzgerald. Audiobook. A fine novel I took no joy in consuming. I went into it expecting to loathe it, and I did for a while, then I realised it was the settings and the characters that I completely failed to identify with. Written prettily and honestly, I still never expect to return to it. This wasn't the exercise in crossing off a stodgy piece of fiction off a list, it wasn't Leo DiCaprio smiling and sipping cocktails, and it wasn't any fun at all. Read by Jake Gyllenhall: the lesser Gyllenhall.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Silent Majority wrote:
06 Aug 2019, 1:02pm
45) The Great Gatsby - F Scott Fitzgerald. Audiobook. A fine novel I took no joy in consuming. I went into it expecting to loathe it, and I did for a while, then I realised it was the settings and the characters that I completely failed to identify with. Written prettily and honestly, I still never expect to return to it. This wasn't the exercise in crossing off a stodgy piece of fiction off a list, it wasn't Leo DiCaprio smiling and sipping cocktails, and it wasn't any fun at all. Read by Jake Gyllenhall: the lesser Gyllenhall.
I have Tender is the Night sitting on my shelf but I haven't mustered the brain power. Gatsby was fine, whatever. I don't know if I should bother.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
06 Aug 2019, 3:13pm
Silent Majority wrote:
I have Tender is the Night sitting on my shelf but I haven't mustered the brain power. Gatsby was fine, whatever. I don't know if I should bother.
I said this before, but I haven't liked any of Fitzgerald's novels, but I mostly like his short stories.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
06 Aug 2019, 3:27pm
Kory wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:
I said this before, but I haven't liked any of Fitzgerald's novels, but I mostly like his short stories.
What do you find to be the appeal that they have that the novels don't? Is it just that you don't want to read him for too long?

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
06 Aug 2019, 7:19pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:
What do you find to be the appeal that they have that the novels don't? Is it just that you don't want to read him for too long?
Granted, it's been some time since I've read either novel or short story, but I found his work benefited from concision. The longer he went on—with the novels—the more bored I became. A nice, chapter-length story had a greater impact than his longer works.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
06 Aug 2019, 7:23pm
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:
Granted, it's been some time since I've read either novel or short story, but I found his work benefited from concision. The longer he went on—with the novels—the more bored I became. A nice, chapter-length story had a greater impact than his longer works.
Don't tell Zelda that, she'll rip your eyes out.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
06 Aug 2019, 7:44pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:

I think I could take her.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
06 Aug 2019, 7:54pm
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Good luck to you, old sport.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
06 Aug 2019, 7:58pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:

Call me over-confident, but I think I could beat up a middle-aged woman in a straitjacket.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
06 Aug 2019, 8:03pm
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Call me over-confident, but I think I could beat up a middle-aged woman in a straitjacket.
See it's the straightjacket that gives me pause. I don't think she's going to feel pain. She's just going to keep coming at you until you're exhausted. It's the Fitzgerald Rope-a-Dope manoeuver.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
06 Aug 2019, 8:05pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:

See it's the straightjacket that gives me pause. I don't think she's going to feel pain. She's just going to keep coming at you until you're exhausted. It's the Fitzgerald Rope-a-Dope manoeuver.
She wouldn't have no Foreman thump in her, tho. I think I could keep flat-palming her in the forehead, low energy stuff for me, that would finally break down her stamina. And if there were no rules, I could sweep the leg and just knock her down. Good luck trying to get up in a straitjacket when I'm there to keep pushing her back. Oh yeah, I'd take her easy.

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
06 Aug 2019, 8:11pm
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

She wouldn't have no Foreman thump in her, tho. I think I could keep flat-palming her in the forehead, low energy stuff for me, that would finally break down her stamina. And if there were no rules, I could sweep the leg and just knock her down. Good luck trying to get up in a straitjacket when I'm there to keep pushing her back. Oh yeah, I'd take her easy.
Hello,

Is this the pro-wrestling thread? If so, what about Samoa Joe denial about the car wreck with Roman Reigns?

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

gkbill wrote:
07 Aug 2019, 1:03am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
06 Aug 2019, 8:11pm
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:

Hello,

Is this the pro-wrestling thread? If so, what about Samoa Joe denial about the car wreck with Roman Reigns?
This is about literature, not trash! :naughty: