Whatcha reading?

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: Whatcha reading?

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Started this after it was mentioned in that prog book I abandoned. DeRogatis is generally one of the better non-scholarly music writers—accessible but doesn't dumb down.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

tepista wrote:
22 Oct 2021, 4:30pm

Six tracks? Lame.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

tepista wrote:

Im waiting for the book to come out.

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

tepista wrote:

Stereo or mono? :mrgreen:
God, what a mess, on the ladder of success
Where you take one step and miss the whole first rung

Inder
corecore vanguard

Post by Inder »

Hey Doc, where do you get your audiobooks from? I was looking at audible, but it isn't the Netflix of Books I thought it was. Is there any subscription service like that?

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Sparky wrote:
22 Oct 2021, 5:15pm
tepista wrote:

Stereo or mono? :mrgreen:
Hello,

The extended version has live (undead?) tracks.

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

48) The Man With the Golden Gun - Ian Fleming. Audiobook. 1965. A book left unfinished by the author cos he upped and died before finishing his edits and polishing - leaving a terse, relatively low stakes thriller with a James Bond who's totally shattered after the apocalypse of You Only Live Twice. One of the best of the Fleming novels, despite its reputation.

49) Hail to the Chin: Further Confessions of a B Movie Actor
by Bruce Campbell. Hardback. 2017. Fun fella, like hanging out with a mate's Dad as he passes you foreign beers and tells you about the house renovations he's completed over the last few years. I watched My Name Is Bruce, Campbell's low budget directorial debut, after reading cos it had an interesting making-of, shot entirely on his property. That was a goofy product of 2007 and surprisingly sino-phobic. I read If Chins Could Kill when I was a teenager and that was the volume of Bruce Campbell memoirs to go to if you want the Evil Dead stuff.

50) The Woman In Black - Susan Hill. 1983. Audiobook. It's alright. Brilliant ending that stayed with me, but I didn't find the preceding 98% effective in satisfying my creep factor. Most of the novel seems to slide by in first gear without the tension stepping up at all. It's a silent fart with a lingering smell.

51) Perfect Sound Whatever - James Acaster. 2018. Audiobook, read by the author. Acaster - a comedian who'll make you laugh three times in a hour, but with a nice boy presence - had a rough year in 2017 which led to his wanting to get 366 albums from 2016, which he now trumpets as the greatest year ever for music. The books is half memoir of a single year and half short incapsulations of albums from 2016. It's alright.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Been awhile since I've done one of these.

Audiobook:
Joe Posnanski, The Life and Afterlife of Harry Houdini. I don't care about Houdini, really, but Posnanski is a fantastic narrative writer. This book tries to answer the question why Houdini remains a touchstone close to a century after his death.

Tub:
David Renton, Never Again. I've read this before, but I'm re-reading to see whether I could use it in my punk class. My suspicion is no—it's a bit too focused on the Anti-Nazi League and other oppositional efforts to the NF to justify using in a punk seminar. Still, it's well worth (re)reading.

Bedtime:
Matthew Worley, No Future. Another book being read for possible inclusion. This has a lot more promise, tho I might hold off so that I can test out Kevin Mattson's book from last year once more.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Inder wrote:
22 Oct 2021, 5:23pm
Hey Doc, where do you get your audiobooks from? I was looking at audible, but it isn't the Netflix of Books I thought it was. Is there any subscription service like that?
My apologies for missing this when you first posted. I used to do audible, but the value got worse when if got wrapped up with Amazon, so I went the pirate route. My main source is this: https://forum.mobilism.org/viewforum.php?f=124

You may have to register to access stuff to dl (can't recall), but that's what yahoo burner email accounts are for.

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
04 Nov 2021, 6:46pm
Been awhile since I've done one of these.

Audiobook:
Joe Posnanski, The Life and Afterlife of Harry Houdini. I don't care about Houdini, really, but Posnanski is a fantastic narrative writer. This book tries to answer the question why Houdini remains a touchstone close to a century after his death.

Tub:
David Renton, Never Again. I've read this before, but I'm re-reading to see whether I could use it in my punk class. My suspicion is no—it's a bit too focused on the Anti-Nazi League and other oppositional efforts to the NF to justify using in a punk seminar. Still, it's well worth (re)reading.

Bedtime:
Matthew Worley, No Future. Another book being read for possible inclusion. This has a lot more promise, tho I might hold off so that I can test out Kevin Mattson's book from last year once more.
The Posnanski book is entertaining alright. He has a narrative style that is quite gripping, not very stylistic, but sweeps you along. I didn't know that much about Houdini so would have appreciated an orthodox biography, but I guess there are sufficient of those already so was a good trick to take the angle he did. Helps that his obvious enthusiasm for the subject shines through on every page.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Low Down Low wrote:
05 Nov 2021, 4:36am
The Posnanski book is entertaining alright. He has a narrative style that is quite gripping, not very stylistic, but sweeps you along. I didn't know that much about Houdini so would have appreciated an orthodox biography, but I guess there are sufficient of those already so was a good trick to take the angle he did. Helps that his obvious enthusiasm for the subject shines through on every page.
Ah, glad that you found it entertaining. I've loved his baseball books (and columns), but have had the Houdini book in the queue forever because, eh, I'm just not that intrigued by the story of Houdini. But it's good to know that you found the tale compelling enough, so I'll certainly see it thru.

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
05 Nov 2021, 6:35am
Low Down Low wrote:
Ah, glad that you found it entertaining. I've loved his baseball books (and columns), but have had the Houdini book in the queue forever because, eh, I'm just not that intrigued by the story of Houdini. But it's good to know that you found the tale compelling enough, so I'll certainly see it thru.
I probably wouldn't have touched it if I wasn't curious to learn more about houdini tbh, so that definitely helped. I subscribed to Sports Illustrated for several years, when Posnanski was on staff, and always enjoyed his columns and pieces. They were like an antidote to the staleness and cynicism of the likes of Rick Reilly.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Low Down Low wrote:
05 Nov 2021, 6:53am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
I probably wouldn't have touched it if I wasn't curious to learn more about houdini tbh, so that definitely helped. I subscribed to Sports Illustrated for several years, when Posnanski was on staff, and always enjoyed his columns and pieces. They were like an antidote to the staleness and cynicism of the likes of Rick Reilly.
If you've never read Pos' The Soul of Baseball, where he travels with Negro League great Buck O'Neil, you absolutely must. O'Neil possessed such a pure optimism and faith in humanity that it'll melt the coldest, most cynical heart, and Pos was an ideal writer to capture it. If that's the only thing he ever wrote, it'd be enough to hang his hat on.

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
05 Nov 2021, 7:39am
Low Down Low wrote:
05 Nov 2021, 6:53am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
If you've never read Pos' The Soul of Baseball, where he travels with Negro League great Buck O'Neil, you absolutely must. O'Neil possessed such a pure optimism and faith in humanity that it'll melt the coldest, most cynical heart, and Pos was an ideal writer to capture it. If that's the only thing he ever wrote, it'd be enough to hang his hat on.
Ah yes, I'm aware of it but not read. I'm not even a baseball fan to be honest about it, I read for the story and the writing which is why I can still list Boys of Summer as among my favourite sports books. And even though I tend to read very few sports books these days, I will assuredly get around to the O'Neil one at some stage.