Whatcha reading?

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Re: Whatcha reading?

Post by Flex »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
22 Jan 2024, 11:26am
Still chugging along with Meet Me in the Bathroom aka a Celebration of Rich Kids Pursuing Fame By Exploring/Exploiting the Bohemian Life. It's become a hate-listen. The music aside—some of it I like, some I don't get the big deal—but the biographies and anecdotes don't endear me one bit to the main characters. So and so inherited some money and decided property would be a good investment, so he bought a bar. This guy met that guy at boarding school in Europe. I didn't know what to do with my life, so my mother found me a film school course in NY and moved me there. And because there's no context or analysis from Goodman, the intended reading of it all should be celebratory. I remember a student in my punk class thought we should read this. If we had, it would have been me steering them to understand that there is nothing punk about this story.
Interesting. I like a lot of the music the book and movie cover - being on the East Coast in college at the time made it a pretty major cultural touchstone - but my instinct was always these are people I probably didn't want to know how they got what they got. Guess I was right! Sometimes the music is better when you don't know the story behind it.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Silent Majority wrote:
22 Jan 2024, 12:19pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
22 Jan 2024, 11:26am
Still chugging along with Meet Me in the Bathroom aka a Celebration of Rich Kids Pursuing Fame By Exploring/Exploiting the Bohemian Life. It's become a hate-listen. The music aside—some of it I like, some I don't get the big deal—but the biographies and anecdotes don't endear me one bit to the main characters. So and so inherited some money and decided property would be a good investment, so he bought a bar. This guy met that guy at boarding school in Europe. I didn't know what to do with my life, so my mother found me a film school course in NY and moved me there. And because there's no context or analysis from Goodman, the intended reading of it all should be celebratory. I remember a student in my punk class thought we should read this. If we had, it would have been me steering them to understand that there is nothing punk about this story.
I'm a lot more careful about my inverted snobbery than I used to be but I feel so much of a lack of artistic hunger or urgency in these artists, particularly after their first albums. Lots of great music came from the middle class, but these people in their stylish and expensive leather jackets are the same scions of the idle rich who would have busied themselves with a Grand Tour at that time in their lives in another century.
The number of the interviewees who said that from the start they wanted to be famous is numbing. They wanted to be cool and to hang out with cool people. Fine, whatever, I suppose. It's a pretty shallow ambition to me, tho not uncommon. But it's certainly not worth celebrating like this book does. The art comes off as a vehicle to achieve material ends, nothing more.
"Ain't no party like an S Club party!'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Flex

Post by Flex »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
22 Jan 2024, 12:39pm
The number of the interviewees who said that from the start they wanted to be famous is numbing. They wanted to be cool and to hang out with cool people. Fine, whatever, I suppose. It's a pretty shallow ambition to me, tho not uncommon. But it's certainly not worth celebrating like this book does. The art comes off as a vehicle to achieve material ends, nothing more.
Listen, just because you easily achieved that ambition by hanging out with me here on IMCT doesn't mean it's as easy for others.

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
22 Jan 2024, 2:38pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Listen, just because you easily achieved that ambition by hanging out with me here on IMCT doesn't mean it's as easy for others.
But I'm neither famous nor cool! Not even Limey famous. :angry:
"Ain't no party like an S Club party!'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Flex

Post by Flex »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
22 Jan 2024, 3:20pm
Flex wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Well, you get to hang out with cool people anyways. That's half a loaf.

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
22 Jan 2024, 4:27pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Flex wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Cool isn't what the Fonz made it out to be.

Flex

Post by Flex »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
22 Jan 2024, 5:06pm
Flex wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Flex wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
I'm often referred to as New Radicals Fandom's Fonzie.

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
22 Jan 2024, 5:08pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
22 Jan 2024, 5:06pm
Flex wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Flex wrote:

I'm often referred to as New Radicals Fandom's Fonzie.
Inder: Change his tagline!

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

5) A Spaniard in the Works - John Lennon. Hardback. DB. 1965. An improvement, I thought, on Lennon's first collection. Whether I was more in the mood for his nonsense prose or if the actual poems were of a better standard, I'm not completely sure. The Goons influence is also more pronounced here and there are moments that remind me of Peter Cook, who was working contemporaneously. I'd like to have seen Lennon keep this stuff up and have some more structure to his work.

6) King John - William Shakespeare. 1596. Kindle. I loved this one and had such low expectations due to its reputation of being a nothing play. Fantastic writing, of course, but well rounded characters, and a plot that doesn't feel well tread. John is a warlike monarch and Shakespeare sees that as the nonsense it is. We still see all the sides of a man, though, and the enemies in France are as justified in their actions. Absolute groove of a piece, by which I mean I sailed through it the way you'd dance to great, richly textured song.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Silent Majority wrote:
24 Jan 2024, 12:07pm
6) King John - William Shakespeare. 1596. Kindle. I loved this one and had such low expectations due to its reputation of being a nothing play. Fantastic writing, of course, but well rounded characters, and a plot that doesn't feel well tread. John is a warlike monarch and Shakespeare sees that as the nonsense it is. We still see all the sides of a man, though, and the enemies in France are as justified in their actions. Absolute groove of a piece, by which I mean I sailed through it the way you'd dance to great, richly textured song.
Even acknowledging that I’m an ignorant bozo when it comes to Shakespeare, apart from the major plays, but I’ve never even heard of this one. There are plenty I’ve heard of but don’t know what they’re about, but not even the title is familiar to me.

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Dr. Medulla wrote:
24 Jan 2024, 1:36pm
Silent Majority wrote:
24 Jan 2024, 12:07pm
Even acknowledging that I’m an ignorant bozo when it comes to Shakespeare, apart from the major plays, but I’ve never even heard of this one. There are plenty I’ve heard of but don’t know what they’re about, but not even the title is familiar to me.
Yeah, I would never have named it before getting to it in the supposed chronology and I'm not really sure why that would be.

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Olaf
Unknown Immortal

Post by Olaf »

The histories are probably my favourite Shakespeare genre. I've got to admit I don't recall this one verly well (or like, at all). Read them all ages ago though, in another life. Maybe it's time for a revisit.
Who pfaffed the pfaff? Who got pfaffed tonight?

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Tub book:
Very Seventies. A collection of pieces from Crawdaddy. I have had this on my shelf for over 25 years and never done more than look at the TOC. An odd thing that. I'm also somewhat moved to read it because I've been musing, should the history department let me darken its halls again, about a class on the cultural history of the 70s in the US. So it's also a bit of a recon mission.

Flex

Post by Flex »

I guess technically this would go in the movie thread, but billy shakes talk mostly goes here, so this may be a better fit.

I rewatched 1999's film adaptation of Titus - really great for anyone who hasn't seen it. I know it's considered one of Bill's lesser plays, but it's hard not to feel the resonance of the plays themes of generational violence, the deterioration of the stability of the state, the ruinous way adherence to rigid codes interfere with the ability to behave truly ethically, and the way cycles of violence hollow out ones life. Underrated Shakes.

Pex Lives!

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Flex wrote:
28 Jan 2024, 2:32am
I guess technically this would go in the movie thread, but billy shakes talk mostly goes here, so this may be a better fit.

I rewatched 1999's film adaptation of Titus - really great for anyone who hasn't seen it. I know it's considered one of Bill's lesser plays, but it's hard not to feel the resonance of the plays themes of generational violence, the deterioration of the stability of the state, the ruinous way adherence to rigid codes interfere with the ability to behave truly ethically, and the way cycles of violence hollow out ones life. Underrated Shakes.
I saw that, it was good shit and mad.

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/