Whatcha reading?

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Kory
Unknown Immortal

Re: Whatcha reading?

Post by Kory »

Marky Dread wrote:
16 Jul 2022, 1:29pm
And Cookie is called a "liar" regarding learning the drums.
Meaning he didn't actually learn them?
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Kory wrote:
18 Jul 2022, 2:16pm
Marky Dread wrote:
He was originally taught by his brother in law Del Nunes. But when Del told his family that Paul had been taught to play by him Paul denied it. So Del made Paul swear the truth in front of Dels two sons. Paul sheepishly said he had forgotten it was Del who had taken the time to teach him.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Marky Dread wrote:
18 Jul 2022, 8:25pm
Kory wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
He was originally taught by his brother in law Del Nunes. But when Del told his family that Paul had been taught to play by him Paul denied it. So Del made Paul swear the truth in front of Dels two sons. Paul sheepishly said he had forgotten it was Del who had taken the time to teach him.
Weird stuff.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
19 Jul 2022, 2:02pm
Marky Dread wrote:
Kory wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Weird stuff.
Very weird.
"Grab some wood, bub.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
19 Jul 2022, 2:06pm
Kory wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Kory wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Weird stuff.
Very weird.
There's a lot of stuff covered up. Like Steve left his mums and abusive father in-laws place and moved in with his friend. Steve shared a room with his freinds older brother. And after the Pistols split Steve moved back into friends place even when he was in The Professionals and his friends mum gave him money which he spent on heroin. His friends mum told Steve that when The Professionals were to play the US that Steve should stay there because she knew he would end up in prison or he'd end up dead.

During the thieving years it's said Steve and friends stole up to 50Ks worth of equipment. Not only from Bowie but also Bob Marley and Kilburn and the High Roads (Ian Drurys band). That's an enormous amount of stuff/money for 1974/5.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
19 Jul 2022, 3:59pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Kory wrote:

Weird stuff.
Very weird.
There's a lot of stuff covered up. Like Steve left his mums and abusive father in-laws place and moved in with his friend. Steve shared a room with his freinds older brother. And after the Pistols split Steve moved back into friends place even when he was in The Professionals and his friends mum gave him money which he spent on heroin. His friends mum told Steve that when The Professionals were to play the US that Steve should stay there because she knew he would end up in prison or he'd end up dead.

During the thieving years it's said Steve and friends stole up to 50Ks worth of equipment. Not only from Bowie but also Bob Marley and Kilburn and the High Roads (Ian Drurys band). That's an enormous amount of stuff/money for 1974/5.
You might say it's been … a swindle!

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
19 Jul 2022, 4:21pm
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

Weird stuff.
Very weird.

Nope...come on your so much better than that. Strummer did a similar thing at the onslaught of punk. Denying his old crowd for a couple of years. This stuff is years before Malcolm's "Swindle" idealism. Obviously you know that but I find it fascinating how both Steve and Paul tried denying parts of their pasts. The Pistols story (stories) has been very muddied over the years and "Pistol" although only a dramatisation has contributed. In the break-ins scenes Steve is seen doing it on his own and then meets Paul after when he steals a car. No mention of his other mates who were also involved. Steve is the instigator and did all the crimes but others were involved. Now if Steve had not wanted to mention his mates through fear of reprisals I could understand but to make it look like it was all just him is bit off.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
19 Jul 2022, 4:49pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:

Weird stuff.
Very weird.

Nope...come on your so much better than that.
I am not and you know it!
Strummer did a similar thing at the onslaught of punk. Denying his old crowd for a couple of years. This stuff is years before Malcolm's "Swindle" idealism. Obviously you know that but I find it fascinating how both Steve and Paul tried denying parts of their pasts. The Pistols story (stories) has been very muddied over the years and "Pistol" although only a dramatisation has contributed. In the break-ins scenes Steve is seen doing it on his own and then meets Paul after when he steals a car. No mention of his other mates who were also involved. Steve is the instigator and did all the crimes but others were involved. Now if Steve had not wanted to mention his mates through fear of reprisals I could understand but to make it look like it was all just him is bit off.
Of course, narratives change for all manner of reasons. Benign self-editing, romanticizing, covering up, mercenary motives, fuzzy memories. In the end, as The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance put it, print the legend.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
19 Jul 2022, 4:56pm
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Very weird.

Strummer did a similar thing at the onslaught of punk. Denying his old crowd for a couple of years. This stuff is years before Malcolm's "Swindle" idealism. Obviously you know that but I find it fascinating how both Steve and Paul tried denying parts of their pasts. The Pistols story (stories) has been very muddied over the years and "Pistol" although only a dramatisation has contributed. In the break-ins scenes Steve is seen doing it on his own and then meets Paul after when he steals a car. No mention of his other mates who were also involved. Steve is the instigator and did all the crimes but others were involved. Now if Steve had not wanted to mention his mates through fear of reprisals I could understand but to make it look like it was all just him is bit off.
Of course, narratives change for all manner of reasons. Benign self-editing, romanticizing, covering up, mercenary motives, fuzzy memories. In the end, as The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance put it, print the legend.
Oh I have no problem with that. But it's still good to know the truth. Or at least as close as we can get to it.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
19 Jul 2022, 4:58pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

Oh I have no problem with that. But it's still good to know the truth. Or at least as close as we can get to it.
It does depend on the historical question being asked and the level of detail that's needed to answer that question, but, certainly, you're correct. I'm just being a dink because I'm amused by all the distortions in the Pistols story.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
19 Jul 2022, 5:07pm
Marky Dread wrote:
19 Jul 2022, 4:58pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

It does depend on the historical question being asked and the level of detail that's needed to answer that question, but, certainly, you're correct. I'm just being a dink because I'm amused by all the distortions in the Pistols story.
And that's it for me too. I love finding out more insight into all the machinations of what made them all tick.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
In the end, as The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance put it, print the legend.
Common misconception, that was actually Tony Wilson.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Kory wrote:
19 Jul 2022, 5:50pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Keith Levene or Bernie?

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Someone shot Tony Wilson?

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
19 Jul 2022, 5:59pm
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Someone shot Tony Wilson?
Yeah but he didn't shoot the deputy.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia