Whatcha reading?

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Kory
Unknown Immortal

Re: Whatcha reading?

Post by Kory »

Flex wrote:
01 Mar 2019, 6:23pm
Some nice new selections announces in the 33 1/3 series: https://333sound.com/open-call-2018-res ... -3-series/
Man, I like Murder Ballads, but I'd have preferred a different Nick Cave one. And obviously they dropped the ball on Roxy Music.

The one I'm really looking forward to now is Japan's Tin Drum. I'm gonna go check on a release for that.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

From Elvis In Memphis is as good an album as London Calling, can't wait for that.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Related to this Mark Fisher anthology, I learned that in the 90s he was part of an electronic group called D-Generation, who released one ep, Entropy in the UK. The only digitized copy I could locate is available as a melded YouTube upload:

All in all, pretty decent. The third track makes liberal use of Lydon's closing line at the Pistols' Winterland show.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

I haven't read a book in quite some time, but I've fallen in love with this one. He basically re-writes the end of Bram Stoker's Dracula,so Dracula defeats Von Helsing instead of vice-versa, and now 3 years later vampires have taken over the world and Drac himself is fiancee to the widowed Queen Victoria! Dr. Seward from Stoker's book has become Jack the Ripper, slashing the "new-born" vampire prostitutes in Whitechappel! I'm about 200 pages in, Dracula hasn't even made an appearance yet, but everyone talks about him.
We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

tepista wrote:
03 Mar 2019, 1:43pm

I haven't read a book in quite some time, but I've fallen in love with this one. He basically re-writes the end of Bram Stoker's Dracula,so Dracula defeats Von Helsing instead of vice-versa, and now 3 years later vampires have taken over the world and Drac himself is fiancee to the widowed Queen Victoria! Dr. Seward from Stoker's book has become Jack the Ripper, slashing the "new-born" vampire prostitutes in Whitechappel! I'm about 200 pages in, Dracula hasn't even made an appearance yet, but everyone talks about him.
That's a wild concept. Looks like it's a series of books by the same author following Dracula in different time periods.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
03 Mar 2019, 2:01pm

That's a wild concept. Looks like it's a series of books by the same author following Dracula in different time periods.
I'm very excited about it. It's also a very easy read, dozens of 5-8 page self contained chapters, so nothing drags.

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

tepista wrote:

Consider me onboard.

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Switching bedtime books to join Tepista's Alternate Dracula Adventures Book Club (formerly Oprah's Book Club).

JoseUnidos
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by JoseUnidos »

tepista wrote:

Amazon has it for pretty cheap for kindle, so I'm in, too!
In space no one can hear you clash!
https://www.rmillerthings.com/

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

JoseUnidos wrote:
03 Mar 2019, 8:55pm
tepista wrote:

Amazon has it for pretty cheap for kindle, so I'm in, too!
IMCT BOOK CLUB! :mrgreen:

I found a used seller at abebooks.com and had all 3 shipped for like thirteen bucks!

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Dr. Medulla wrote:
03 Mar 2019, 8:30pm
Switching bedtime books to join Tepista's Alternate Dracula Adventures Book Club (formerly Oprah's Book Club).
I'm gonna finish this last hour of book one of the Fellowship of the Ring and then jump on to the driverless horse drawn carriage of the Newman audiobook. I was looking some fiction to break up the wanderings of the hobbits already.

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

Silent Majority wrote:
04 Mar 2019, 7:14am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
I'm gonna finish this last hour of book one of the Fellowship of the Ring and then jump on to the driverless horse drawn carriage of the Newman audiobook. I was looking some fiction to break up the wanderings of the hobbits already.
I've never done an audio book, how long do they take? Obviously, it depends on the length of the book, but what, 4 hours? 8 hours?

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

tepista wrote:
04 Mar 2019, 2:25pm
Silent Majority wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
I've never done an audio book, how long do they take? Obviously, it depends on the length of the book, but what, 4 hours? 8 hours?
The Anno Dracula one is just over 11 hours, which is about average. I tend to knock out around one every week and a half or so, on average. The beauties are you can listen while doing other shit (I listen while doing chores and walking to work) and you don't gotta pay if you don't wanna. It's very rare I don't just steal them.

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

Silent Majority wrote:
04 Mar 2019, 2:38pm
tepista wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
The Anno Dracula one is just over 11 hours, which is about average. I tend to knock out around one every week and a half or so, on average. The beauties are you can listen while doing other shit (I listen while doing chores and walking to work) and you don't gotta pay if you don't wanna. It's very rare I don't just steal them.
Does Gilbert Gottfried do any?

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

tepista wrote:
04 Mar 2019, 2:40pm
Silent Majority wrote:
04 Mar 2019, 2:38pm
tepista wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Does Gilbert Gottfried do any?
His Jane Eyre is a classic

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/