Whatcha reading?

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Kory
Unknown Immortal

Re: Whatcha reading?

Post by Kory »

Wolter wrote:
11 Jun 2019, 8:54pm
Case in point: I defy anyone to make a funnier “Gorillion Dollars” joke.
I can't believe he didn't tuck his shirt in.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

Kory wrote:
12 Jun 2019, 12:35pm
Wolter wrote:
TO WHAT?!?
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Wolter wrote:
12 Jun 2019, 12:36pm
Kory wrote:
12 Jun 2019, 12:35pm
Wolter wrote:
TO WHAT?!?
YOU know...

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
11 Jun 2019, 3:55pm
tepista wrote:
11 Jun 2019, 3:32pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
11 Jun 2019, 12:19pm
Silent Majority wrote:
11 Jun 2019, 12:10pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
11 Jun 2019, 12:00pm
I won't say I outright hated Dr. Sleep, but it was so blah that I couldn't imagine why he felt the need to return to that character. It was the kind of dumb sequel that you'd think Hollywood would make of his stuff.
I think it's fair to say that some of my lukewarm approval springs from my affection for the original.
A former friend of mine who is a massive King fan—he actually got me into reading King—rates The Shining as his favourite book of all time. Reads it once a year. And I'm sure that's why he outright despised Dr. Sleep. That it sullies the original by association with its mediocrity. I've never taken to The Shining like him or others. It's solid but it never spoke to me like it does others.
i'm pretty sure there's a movie on the way
Wikipedia says November this year. I'm intrigued how Kubrick reveals the truth behind 9/11 in this one.
what's it about anyway?
We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

tepista wrote:
14 Jun 2019, 4:14pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
tepista wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:
11 Jun 2019, 12:10pm

I think it's fair to say that some of my lukewarm approval springs from my affection for the original.
A former friend of mine who is a massive King fan—he actually got me into reading King—rates The Shining as his favourite book of all time. Reads it once a year. And I'm sure that's why he outright despised Dr. Sleep. That it sullies the original by association with its mediocrity. I've never taken to The Shining like him or others. It's solid but it never spoke to me like it does others.
Wikipedia says November this year. I'm intrigued how Kubrick reveals the truth behind 9/11 in this one.
what's it about anyway?
Danny grows up fucked up from the experience at the Overlook but eventually finds some peace at a hospice, using his abilities to help people die peacefully. Then he comes across a cult of vampires who feed off kids with psychic powers and tries to help them. There's a bunch of stuff about being a recovered alcoholic and making peace with Jack Nicholson, too. It's pretty dull.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
14 Jun 2019, 4:25pm
tepista wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
tepista wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

what's it about anyway?
Danny grows up fucked up from the experience at the Overlook but eventually finds some peace at a hospice, using his abilities to help people die peacefully. Then he comes across a cult of vampires who feed off kids with psychic powers and tries to help them. There's a bunch of stuff about being a recovered alcoholic and making peace with Jack Nicholson, too. It's pretty dull.
Redrum? More like Red-DUMB! Actually, I like almost anything with vampires unless it's aimed at teeneybooper hormones.
We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

tepista wrote:
14 Jun 2019, 4:28pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
14 Jun 2019, 4:25pm
tepista wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
tepista wrote:

what's it about anyway?
Redrum? More like Red-DUMB! Actually, I like almost anything with vampires unless it's aimed at teeneybooper hormones.
This is my feeling about witches.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Finished Duggan's Rand book today (it's quite short and direct). It's fine, but either Jennifer Burns' or Anne Heller' deeper examinations are better. Duggan seeks to tie Rand to the neoliberal spirit of cruelty (her term), and makes an effort to do so in the last chapter, but I would have liked to see more of it throughout. For a book about Rand as cultural icon, it mostly contains itself to Rand the lunatic pseudo-philosopher and sociopath. But as an intro, it's good.

Up tomorrow:
Long-time fan of Starr, but this is one I don't think I've re-read. Two childhood baseball rivals; one made it to the major leagues and one is working a dead end job. Events bring them together, with violent results.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

BitterTom
Unknown Immortal

Post by BitterTom »

Gave up on Rik Mayall's 'Bigger Than Hitler, Better Tahn Christ.' I love the characters he plays but reading a sort of autobiography written in the same style renders it pretty unreadable and the novelty wears off fast. Picked up The Kenneth William's diaries again, gives an amazing insight into a very complicated and troubled man. Read them a few years back and forgot how downright interesting they were.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Tub book:
New book by my MA supervisor. It's about the development of the American cigarette industry from the late 19th c to WWII, both in the US and in China, but the greater interest is in treating corporate history as cultural history. That is, not a variation of great man theory or of economic history, but as something involving so many more people adopting particular values and behaviours, all shaping the business and its interests.

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

35) Ted Heath: A Singular Life - Michael Mcmanus. Kindle. A cut and paste bio - the book is mostly long, long quotes from interviews connected by the barest of desultory explanation - about the Tory Prime Minister from the early 70s who wins some points for loathing Thatcher and loses them all for being a paedo. This is a book written by Heath's personal assistant from his declining years and while he clearly doesn't like his former charge, he's respectful throughout and dismisses Ted's liking boys as "didn't seem like it was going on." Heath was most proud of getting the UK into the EU and that worked out perfectly.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Silent Majority wrote:
22 Jun 2019, 6:35pm
35) Ted Heath: A Singular Life - Michael Mcmanus. Kindle. A cut and paste bio - the book is mostly long, long quotes from interviews connected by the barest of desultory explanation - about the Tory Prime Minister from the early 70s who wins some points for loathing Thatcher and loses them all for being a paedo. This is a book written by Heath's personal assistant from his declining years and while he clearly doesn't like his former charge, he's respectful throughout and dismisses Ted's liking boys as "didn't seem like it was going on." Heath was most proud of getting the UK into the EU and that worked out perfectly.
One of Canada's most respected prime ministers, William Lyon Mackenzie King, who was PM during the Depression and WWII and therefore an early architect of the welfare state, was a weird fucker. He never married and was devoted to his mother, so much so that after she died he consulted psychics to hold seances with her. He was also known to go on strolls in Ottawa seeking prostitutes, some suggesting that the sex not mattering. And he was especially devoted to his dog. Perfectly fine, tho, in an earlier time when Canada and Ottawa was a sleepy backwater and the eccentricities of elites was unreported and unconcerning.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Bedtime reading:

Each episode gets a synopsis, but I'm curious whether there's much critical analysis. If so, I'll stick with this; if it's just fan rehash, I'll find something else.

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
22 Jun 2019, 8:12pm
Bedtime reading:

Each episode gets a synopsis, but I'm curious whether there's much critical analysis. If so, I'll stick with this; if it's just fan rehash, I'll find something else.
I've told you about the Tom and Lorenzo Mad Men style recaps, right? They are super interesting.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

JennyB wrote:
24 Jun 2019, 9:28am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
22 Jun 2019, 8:12pm
Bedtime reading:

I've told you about the Tom and Lorenzo Mad Men style recaps, right? They are super interesting.
Yup—I read a few of them back in the day.

I'm thru the first season in this book. It's certainly thick critical analysis but almost exclusively literary analysis, rather than tying it to the history of the era (save for superficially). That's not a fatal defect by any means given the sharp-eyed observations of recurrent symbolism and multi-tiered dialogue. And, as it turns out, there isn't too much recap involved. If you haven't seen the episode in question, a lot of the value of the discussion might be lost.