Whatcha reading?

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Re: Whatcha reading?

Post by Silent Majority »

10) Steve Jobs - Walter Isaacson. Audiobook. What an irredeemable piece of shit. Arch capitalist, union hater, abusive to his staff. He is redeemed in the eyes of the author by the products his company created. Written awkwardly at times and suffering from a dearth of interesting characters (when Bill Gates brings colour, you know you're in ta-rouble), it's still a compelling narrative.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Silent Majority wrote:
27 Feb 2020, 8:39am
10) Steve Jobs - Walter Isaacson. Audiobook. What an irredeemable piece of shit. Arch capitalist, union hater, abusive to his staff. He is redeemed in the eyes of the author by the products his company created. Written awkwardly at times and suffering from a dearth of interesting characters (when Bill Gates brings colour, you know you're in ta-rouble), it's still a compelling narrative.
Jobs is a good test for whether your worldview is to emphasize the result or how it was achieved. Ends or means. Generally speaking, ends people worship power and means people are wary of it.
"I used to bullseye womp rats in my T-16 back in Whittier, they're not much bigger than two meters.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Hell no Im not reading/listening free or not. This just popped up as an ad in an article I was reading about Bernie.

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

revbob wrote:
27 Feb 2020, 12:32pm

Hell no Im not reading/listening free or not. This just popped up as an ad in an article I was reading about Bernie.
Is that the folk pop guy? Why's he sitting round like a mob enforcer?

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Silent Majority wrote:
27 Feb 2020, 12:44pm
revbob wrote:

Career change to gangsta folk pop.

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Wolt's gonna be first in line for this. He LOVES JT.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
27 Feb 2020, 10:20am
Silent Majority wrote:
Jobs is a good test for whether your worldview is to emphasize the result or how it was achieved. Ends or means. Generally speaking, ends people worship power and means people are wary of it.
It depends what the end result is, some ends justify the means, consumer products don’t.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

101Walterton wrote:
27 Feb 2020, 2:54pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
27 Feb 2020, 10:20am
Silent Majority wrote:
It depends what the end result is, some ends justify the means, consumer products don’t.
Exceptions that prove the rule, imo. Monstrous, coercive behaviour is never normally justification.
"I used to bullseye womp rats in my T-16 back in Whittier, they're not much bigger than two meters.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

revbob wrote:
27 Feb 2020, 12:55pm
Silent Majority wrote:
27 Feb 2020, 12:44pm
revbob wrote:

Career change to gangsta folk pop.
Think the only song of his i consciously know is Fire and Rain, think thats what its called anyway. Truly exceptional song, tears me up whenever i hear it.

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

11) Wiseguy - Nicholas Pileggi. Audiobook. Odd that it's taken me this long to read the book that the film that's been my favourite since I was a teenager was based on. I read a cash in follow up about Henry Hill's time in Witness Protection where he continued to sell drugs and guns. This book is sheer comfort food for me, Hill's violently smooth raconteur style coming off the page just like Liotta's narration. Detached from the seductive images, it is suspicious how Hill is just out of frame as the biggest heists take place and murders are done. Less a reliable narrative than Pileggi seems to take him as. It's a fun book that sketches out more the film could fit in, but I'm delighted by how close Scorsese's picture hews to the truth as told by this total scumbag.

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Just finished up re-reading Y: The Last Man. Anybody who reads the whole thing and doesn't have a choked up throat for the final issue is a piece of stone. I pray that that adaptation that's been on again, off again somehow pulls it off, but it seems a recipe for garbage. But that series deserves much better. Really beautiful stuff.

Up next is a book I skimmed when writing my lecture on nuclear apocalypse in rock music (and is being delivered on Thursday). Wanted to give it a proper read, so I bought a copy.

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

12) True Grit - Charles Portis. Audiobook. At one point, I considered this at least the equal of To Kill a Mockingbird as an American novel. Rooster Cogburn only makes sense as a character as a very young woman's memory of someone she met and admired, many years ago. Otherwise he's a John Wayne character, a cartoon. The writing is fantastic, the story exciting and the jokes funny and true.

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Pretty disappointed by this book. I was hoping for a real book, but it's just an EXTREMELY dry, chronological list of anything that ever happened in the history of the band with no critique or insight. Are there any actual biographies of the group?
Attachments
41nox0IGI6L._SX321_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg
41nox0IGI6L._SX321_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg (21.08 KiB) Viewed 3534 times
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Kory wrote:
12 Mar 2020, 4:03pm
Pretty disappointed by this book. I was hoping for a real book, but it's just an EXTREMELY dry, chronological list of anything that ever happened in the history of the band with no critique or insight. Are there any actual biographies of the group?
Not as such. I've got the one above. But I would recommend Diggles "Harmony in My Head" book. That's a great fun read.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Marky Dread wrote:
12 Mar 2020, 4:56pm
Kory wrote:
12 Mar 2020, 4:03pm
Not as such. I've got the one above. But I would recommend Diggles "Harmony in My Head" book. That's a great fun read.
Shit, maybe I should write one.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc