Whatcha reading?

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Re: Whatcha reading?

Post by Marky Dread »

Kory wrote:
12 Mar 2020, 5:39pm
Marky Dread wrote:
12 Mar 2020, 4:56pm
Kory wrote:
12 Mar 2020, 4:03pm
Pretty disappointed by this book. I was hoping for a real book, but it's just an EXTREMELY dry, chronological list of anything that ever happened in the history of the band with no critique or insight. Are there any actual biographies of the group?
Not as such. I've got the one above. But I would recommend Diggles "Harmony in My Head" book. That's a great fun read.
Shit, maybe I should write one.
I'd read it.

if you paid me a load of dough and send me a copy gratis.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

I've listened to this and read it once before, but I really enjoyed the narrative even if/because the (il)logic of the science frustrates and weirds out my brain.
"I used to bullseye womp rats in my T-16 back in Whittier, they're not much bigger than two meters.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

Hey, a good friend of mine wrote some punk rock fiction. I bought it yesterday, and will squeeze it in in-between Draculas, but I thought I'd share

We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

I read the first part of the next Anno Dracula, which is in the 70s, and I believe the stories are separate but connected? I dunno, I'll find out. Anyway, the first part focused on the late 70s filming of Francis For Coppola's Dracula, which had Martin Sheen as Harker (had a heart attack during production and had to be turned into a vampire to be revived), Brando as a fat, hammy Dracula, and Robert Duval as Van Helsing, and yeah, he said he loves the smell of spontaneous combustion in the morning.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

tepista wrote:
22 Mar 2020, 3:16pm
Hey, a good friend of mine wrote some punk rock fiction. I bought it yesterday, and will squeeze it in in-between Draculas, but I thought I'd share

Cool—let me know cos I'm looking for punk literature for my class next year.
"I used to bullseye womp rats in my T-16 back in Whittier, they're not much bigger than two meters.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

tepista wrote:
22 Mar 2020, 3:22pm
I read the first part of the next Anno Dracula, which is in the 70s, and I believe the stories are separate but connected? I dunno, I'll find out. Anyway, the first part focused on the late 70s filming of Francis For Coppola's Dracula, which had Martin Sheen as Harker (had a heart attack during production and had to be turned into a vampire to be revived), Brando as a fat, hammy Dracula, and Robert Duval as Van Helsing, and yeah, he said he loves the smell of spontaneous combustion in the morning.
OK, I'm only 10 pages into part 2, and Johnny, the son of Dracula, has already arrived in New York, murdered Nancy Spungon, got a cab ride from Travis Bickle, and murdered John Travolta's Tony character and stole his clothes on the way to 54. I love the pop culture stuff, but this is like a pizza with everything, including ice cream, licorice and skittles.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

tepista wrote:
23 Mar 2020, 7:45pm
tepista wrote:
OK, I'm only 10 pages into part 2, and Johnny, the son of Dracula, has already arrived in New York, murdered Nancy Spungon, got a cab ride from Travis Bickle, and murdered John Travolta's Tony character and stole his clothes on the way to 54. I love the pop culture stuff, but this is like a pizza with everything, including ice cream, licorice and skittles.
Okay, I might have to check this one out.

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
23 Mar 2020, 7:55pm
tepista wrote:
tepista wrote:
Then he became the top drug dealer in the city, got the whole scene strung out on vampire blood, caught the eye of Vampire Andy Warhol, and was attacked by a gang of vigilantes lead by the main character form Ms.45. Bianca Jagger, Bowie, and Vampire Debbie Harry were name-dropped, but weren't in it.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

tepista wrote:
26 Mar 2020, 6:44pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
tepista wrote:
tepista wrote:
Then he became the top drug dealer in the city, got the whole scene strung out on vampire blood, caught the eye of Vampire Andy Warhol, and was attacked by a gang of vigilantes lead by the main character form Ms.45. Bianca Jagger, Bowie, and Vampire Debbie Harry were name-dropped, but weren't in it.
Needs more vampire.

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
26 Mar 2020, 7:06pm
tepista wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
tepista wrote:
tepista wrote:
Needs more vampire.
SPOILER: so Son of Drac is torn to shreds by the vigilante mob and only the healing power of vampire blood can save him, so with his dying breath he goes to Warhol's house and kills the shit out him, only to find that Andy was never a vampire, but a fucking poser!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

tepista wrote:
26 Mar 2020, 7:27pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
26 Mar 2020, 7:06pm
tepista wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
tepista wrote:

Needs more vampire.
SPOILER: so Son of Drac is torn to shreds by the vigilante mob and only the healing power of vampire blood can save him, so with his dying breath he goes to Warhol's house and kills the shit out him, only to find that Andy was never a vampire, but a fucking poser!
Silly vampire, albinos aren't (necessarily) vampires.

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

13) Legacy of Ashes - Tim Weiner. Audiobook. The history of the CIA is the history of American foreign policy after World War Two. Amoral and incompetent. I've read Weiner's book on the FBI (who have been lost since Hoover's death) which was the follow up to this. The book's only flaw is it is too heavy on criticising W Bush in eras he has nothing to do with - understandably considering it was written during his administration. It's also very full of Bin Laden, which is also easy to comprehend the reason for. Good book, but I liked the FBI one more.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

14) Appointment With Death - Agatha Christie. Paperback, 1938. I wanted an easy, quick read because I've been on very long and involved books and I was after finishing something. I had found this at a bring a book, leave a book shelf a few months ago and brought it home for my wife, who likes this Poirot stuff. It's unusual for me to read of a fusty, unlikeable old lady and her nervous family, but it's a change of pace if nothing else. The writing is easy to digest but the characters don't interact anything like real people. They're wealthy people touring the holy land. I find Poirot a very uninteresting detective, at least here. Perhaps earlier in the series, Christie bothered to give the man a personality.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Silent Majority wrote:
28 Mar 2020, 3:03pm
It's unusual for me to read of a fusty, unlikeable old lady and her nervous family,
No, you've never given any indication of being a royalist.
The writing is easy to digest but the characters don't interact anything like real people. They're wealthy people touring the holy land. I find Poirot a very uninteresting detective, at least here. Perhaps earlier in the series, Christie bothered to give the man a personality.
I've never enjoyed Christie's style. You can recognize her mastery of that kind of detective story, but the characters in the few I've read were bland. That's why I've always been attracted to the hard-boiled detective stories. Maybe the mystery aspect is thinner, but the characters have a romantic life to them.

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

tepista wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
tepista wrote:
tepista wrote:
Hello,

All those vampires suck.