Whatcha reading?

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Re: Whatcha reading?

Post by Silent Majority »

33) Searching For Robert Johnson - Peter Guralnick. Kindle. 1989. Short, read it one go yesterday. Just a refresher, really. The one I recommend is Escaping the Delta by Elijah Ward, which is a richer and more read on the same subject.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Just finished this, which brought me back to listening to New Order after taking a few years' break. The thing that stood out the most is Hooky's claim that (despite their obvious feud), Bernard Sumner is a better guitarist than Johnny Marr! That's not even true in a subjective sense.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
22 May 2020, 2:07pm

Just finished this, which brought me back to listening to New Order after taking a few years' break. The thing that stood out the most is Hooky's claim that (despite their obvious feud), Bernard Sumner is a better guitarist than Johnny Marr! That's not even true in a subjective sense.
I've read both of Hook's books and Sumner's. Hook was so much more complimentary of Sumner than vice versa. Sumner has a recognizable sound but it's not outrageous to acknowledge that Marr can make a guitar do whatever the hell he wants it to.
"Grab some wood, bub.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
22 Mar 2020, 4:58pm
tepista wrote:
22 Mar 2020, 3:16pm
Hey, a good friend of mine wrote some punk rock fiction. I bought it yesterday, and will squeeze it in in-between Draculas, but I thought I'd share

Cool—let me know cos I'm looking for punk literature for my class next year.
I just finished it, It's actually NON-FICTION, it's his memoirs about 2 weeks in 1981 when he was 17 and followed Killing Joke and Siouxie & the Banshees around hitch-hiking with a sleeping bag and narrowly avoiding ass whipping by skinheads. It was good, not enough vampires for my taste. Nice and short at 145 pages.
We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

tepista wrote:
25 May 2020, 6:41pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
22 Mar 2020, 4:58pm
tepista wrote:
22 Mar 2020, 3:16pm
Hey, a good friend of mine wrote some punk rock fiction. I bought it yesterday, and will squeeze it in in-between Draculas, but I thought I'd share

Cool—let me know cos I'm looking for punk literature for my class next year.
I just finished it, It's actually NON-FICTION, it's his memoirs about 2 weeks in 1981 when he was 17 and followed Killing Joke and Siouxie & the Banshees around hitch-hiking with a sleeping bag and narrowly avoiding ass whipping by skinheads. It was good, not enough vampires for my taste. Nice and short at 145 pages.
Oh well. Shame about the vampirelessness. At least he avoided the asskicking.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Highly recommend Peter Beinart's book (from a couple pages back). The essence of the argument is that American foreign policy since Wilson has arc'd widely from engagement to disengagement, idealism to realpolitik. More particularly, policymakers have taken the experience of the last crisis and sought to apply it to the next until it doesn't work. Then the lesson of that crisis dominates. What I liked about that assessment is that it appeals to a historian's conceit that the lessons of history are local—geographic and temporal. What policymakers did was take their experience and, thinkinging like political scientists, decided they had discovered a universal lesson. So, the lesson of Munich was never back down or it'll lead to a world war. The lesson of Kennan's analysis of the Russian character was that all Communists like the Soviets, so containment has to be applied all over the world. The lesson of Bosnia was that airpower and smart missiles makes soldiers passé. Etc etc.

I also liked his analysis of Reagan's foreign policy, which, for all the aggressive rhetoric, wasn't that divorced from the New Left in the 60s. Reagan didn't fear the Communists; he thought America would win the Cold War. That went contrary to three decades of paranoia and despair on the right. Like the New Left, Reagan thought the Cold War could be won and peace made with Russia (he and the radicals differed in which side was the problem, but were both fundamentally optimistic about a resolution). That fits well with other analyses of Reagan that see him as a very problematic conservative, for his view of human nature and pleasure was rather leftist, and that, despite the posthumous hagiography, made him a figure of suspicion on the right well into his presidency. Anyway, highly recommended and quite readable.

I'm about three hours into this. So far, a pleasant enough narrative of a variety of East German youth whose lives were changed and given focus when they heard punk (often the Pistols). It helped them express their rage against the East German state and dogma. It's straight narrative, but on an unrealized aspect of punk's significance and how people resisted Communism.

Olaf
Unknown Immortal

Post by Olaf »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
26 May 2020, 6:02pm

I'm about three hours into this. So far, a pleasant enough narrative of a variety of East German youth whose lives were changed and given focus when they heard punk (often the Pistols). It helped them express their rage against the East German state and dogma. It's straight narrative, but on an unrealized aspect of punk's significance and how people resisted Communism.
Just read the first 50 pages or so of the German version. I did like the German title/cover better, but the book somehow felt like it wasn't written for the German market in the first place. Too much explaining the obvious. Turns out the writer is actually American and also ghostwrote Paul Stanley's memoirs. :scared:
Who pfaffed the pfaff? Who got pfaffed tonight?

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Olaf wrote:
27 May 2020, 9:36am
Dr. Medulla wrote:

https://www.hachette.co.uk/wp-content/u ... 868%2C2827
Just read the first 50 pages or so of the German version. I did like the German title/cover better, but the book somehow felt like it wasn't written for the German market in the first place. Too much explaining the obvious. Turns out the writer is actually American and also ghostwrote Paul Stanley's memoirs. :scared:
It was definitely constructed with an English-speaking audience in mind. And it's popular history—telling a story rather than offering a critical analysis, more journalist than scholar—so it's going to be dumbed down to get people as much on the same page as possible. I'm going to have to overlook the Paul Stanley connection, tho. Sigh.

Olaf
Unknown Immortal

Post by Olaf »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
27 May 2020, 9:51am
Olaf wrote:
27 May 2020, 9:36am
Dr. Medulla wrote:

https://www.hachette.co.uk/wp-content/u ... 868%2C2827
It was definitely constructed with an English-speaking audience in mind. And it's popular history—telling a story rather than offering a critical analysis, more journalist than scholar—so it's going to be dumbed down to get people as much on the same page as possible. I'm going to have to overlook the Paul Stanley connection, tho. Sigh.
Was it Marky who said every thread here eventually turned into a Kiss thread?

You might want to overlook his current project, too. A Joe Walsh bio.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Olaf wrote:
27 May 2020, 10:06am
Truly, we are the picture of Dorian Gray in the attic. :disshame:
If you hadn't mentioned it, I'm pretty sure my reading and browsing habits would have ensured I'd never have come across that information.

Olaf
Unknown Immortal

Post by Olaf »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
27 May 2020, 10:15am
Olaf wrote:
27 May 2020, 10:06am
Truly, we are the picture of Dorian Gray in the attic. :disshame:
If you hadn't mentioned it, I'm pretty sure my reading and browsing habits would have ensured I'd never have come across that information.
Glad I could help. :shifty:

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

34) Everyday Stalinism - Sheila Fitzpatrick. Paperback. 1999. Not exactly a barrel of laughs in this one, it talks about ordinary life in 1930s Russia and the people's interactions with the state. There was some idealism, optimism and a shared striving but above all it was terror and arbitrary power inflicted stupidly.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Silent Majority wrote:
28 May 2020, 4:54am
34) Everyday Stalinism - Sheila Fitzpatrick. Paperback. 1999. Not exactly a barrel of laughs in this one, it talks about ordinary life in 1930s Russia and the people's interactions with the state. There was some idealism, optimism and a shared striving but above all it was terror and arbitrary power inflicted stupidly.
Tankie twitter has told me that's all lies, tho :huh:
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

After reading Hooky's NO book, I went back to re-read the JD one and now I think I want to enter the phrase "kick off" into my lexicon. I like it.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
29 May 2020, 3:15pm
After reading Hooky's NO book, I went back to re-read the JD one and now I think I want to enter the phrase "kick off" into my lexicon. I like it.
As in "Ian Curtis kicked off forty years ago"?