Whatcha reading?

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Re: Whatcha reading?

Post by Silent Majority »

Flex wrote:
03 Jun 2019, 5:27pm
I've always wondered how soggy your tub books get, doc.
To my memory, I have dropped only the below books in the bath, about one every five years

Father Ted - The Scripts
A 2nd rate biography of Kirsty MacColl
The Theory of Capitalist Development - Sweezy

I will never take an e reader in with me. I would light up like Uncle Fester.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

I should start reading in the shower.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

Silent Majority wrote:
04 Jun 2019, 2:42am
Flex wrote:
03 Jun 2019, 5:27pm
I've always wondered how soggy your tub books get, doc.
To my memory, I have dropped only the below books in the bath, about one every five years

Father Ted - The Scripts
A 2nd rate biography of Kirsty MacColl
The Theory of Capitalist Development - Sweezy

I will never take an e reader in with me. I would light up like Uncle Fester.
I occasionally dip the bottom of pages in if I’m very drowsy. That’s always a sign to put it away.

Well, honestly I never have time for baths anymore so that should be past tense.

I just started The Original Torah: The Poltical Intent of the Bible’s Writers by S. David Sperling. It looks like a book written exactly for me: a book that attempts to determine the why of the original composition of the separate parts of the Torah. Treating the Bible as a text written by human beings for other human beings at a specific time for a specific purpose is kind of my jam.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
04 Jun 2019, 9:24am
I should start reading in the shower.
That's the problem with you Millennials—you're inefficient with your time. Until you figure out how to work the equivalent of 30 hours in a day, don't come crying to me about not paying off your student loans until retirement.
"Ain't no party like an S Club party!'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Just finished listening to Pagels' Beyond Belief. Extremely thought-provoking stuff. I'm even more of a dilettante with that stuff than other interests, but it's fascinating as hell the intellectual and, fundamentally, political struggle to define Jesus' essential character. The heretical Gospel of Thomas argued that Jesus possessed the divine spark … but so does everyone. The only thing special about Jesus is that he had gained this internal knowledge and thus become closer to his true relationship with god. This is Jesus as a kind of super prophet. The Gospel of John, Pagels argues, was written afterwards and specifically as a refutation. It put forth what is the orthodox view, that Jesus is god and is unique. Whereas Thomas' view argues that salvation lies within—gaining knowledge of yourself—John says salvation can only be found thru Jesus. What followed then was a struggle to discredit Thomas and establish what became the Catholic Church. John's interpretation lent itself to hierarchy, which enabled the Catholic Church to develop its institutional structures and expand and dominate. Not unlike capitalism and imperialism, which also possess hierarchical structures that enabled their adherents to expand and dominate.

Up next will be that Clash podcast on Spotify.
"Ain't no party like an S Club party!'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

31) Leading With My Chin - Jay Leno. Audiobook. Apparently, after this was published a bunch of comedians came forward and said that a lot of the stories Leno presented as his own were funny anecdotes they'd told him over the years. For such a fucked up personality, Leno sure is an uninteresting comedian. He delivers this book like an extended opening monologue, occasionally trying to sell funny lines by taking an exasperated WASN'T THIS STUPID? tone, whether it fits the material or not.

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Who the fuck has a bath???

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

101Walterton wrote:
05 Jun 2019, 4:03am
Some of us even have indoor toilets

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Silent Majority wrote:
05 Jun 2019, 6:10am
101Walterton wrote:
I’d love an outdoor toilet (peace and quiet).

BitterTom
Unknown Immortal

Post by BitterTom »

101Walterton wrote:
05 Jun 2019, 5:33pm
Silent Majority wrote:
05 Jun 2019, 6:10am
101Walterton wrote:
I’d love an outdoor toilet (peace and quiet).
Perhaps not over here. Every winter ripping your arse on a frozen seat, not my cup of tea.

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

32) 20th Century Ghosts - Joe Hill. Paperback, signed by the author, read on a sunny beach in Corfu. An excellent collection of short stories by a writer whose prose doesn't draw attention to itself but managed to intoxicate me with the idea of writing stories all over again. They've all got a foot in the supernatural, whether it be a love affair beginning on the set of Romero's Dawn of the Dead, a movie loving ghost (my favourite),or an inflatable boy. Most have actual human feelings in them. This guy is good

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Silent Majority wrote:
08 Jun 2019, 1:40pm
32) 20th Century Ghosts - Joe Hill. Paperback, signed by the author, read on a sunny beach in Corfu. An excellent collection of short stories by a writer whose prose doesn't draw attention to itself but managed to intoxicate me with the idea of writing stories all over again. They've all got a foot in the supernatural, whether it be a love affair beginning on the set of Romero's Dawn of the Dead, a movie loving ghost (my favourite),or an inflatable boy. Most have actual human feelings in them. This guy is good
Stephen King's eldest boy, if you didn't know. I've listened to a couple of his early novels, Horns and Heart=Shaped Box. They were both entertaining, but didn't blow me away.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Finished listening to that new Clash podcast. I was quite impressed over all. One of the things I liked about it was Chuck D's connecting what they were doing to his own work, making the effort to draw them all into a larger pattern and purpose. It also hit me again as to how much of a folkie Joe was; he never really abandoned the Woody identity. And if you embrace that as a positive, all the career sabotaging stuff takes on a more noble glow—a resistance to being commercialized, to institutions, and a wariness of success. The Clash really do become a wonderful test of whether you fall on the folk side or the pop mass side of things.

Next up:
Know nothing about it, but I'm listening with a thought of using it in the classroom in the future.

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

That Lyndon B Johnson album must be a lost classic

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Silent Majority wrote:
09 Jun 2019, 1:16pm
That Lyndon B Johnson album must be a lost classic
The Oval Office berating of George Wallace set to a bossa nova beat is a forgotten civil right anthem.