Whatcha reading?

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Re: Whatcha reading?

Post by Flex »

Silent Majority wrote:
09 Feb 2021, 1:35pm
Flex wrote:
09 Feb 2021, 1:05pm
What does MC mean?
Main character
"whites for whites" was the name of a skrewdriver song, i believe
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

Flex wrote:
09 Feb 2021, 1:37pm
Silent Majority wrote:
Flex wrote:
What does MC mean?
Main character
Yeah. I'll not go on about how offensive I find the fact that people very smugly believe that the human experience is so compartmentalised and alien that even trying to understand and communicate across borders that are entirely imaginary is impossible.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Silent Majority wrote:
09 Feb 2021, 1:44pm
Flex wrote:
09 Feb 2021, 1:37pm
Silent Majority wrote:
Flex wrote:
What does MC mean?
Main character
Yeah. I'll not go on about how offensive I find the fact that people very smugly believe that the human experience is so compartmentalised and alien that even trying to understand and communicate across borders that are entirely imaginary is impossible.
It's an especially bleak view of humanity and existence, that even seeking to do so makes us worse.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

There's a passage in Peter Novick's That Noble Dream (about the American historical profession and the objectivity question) where Eugene Genovese, one of the greatest historians of the South and slavery, spoke about his work amidst the era of Black Power and campus radicals:
"This was a period," Eugene Genovese later recalled, "in which any white working in black history had to take a lot of crap. We all felt it, but my attitude was I'm not going to take the crap. After awhile I didn't get very much because I quickly developed a reputation for being quite savage. One of these guys would get up and run off at the mouth about who are you to write about black people and I'd look him straight in the eye and say, 'you're an idiot,' and proceed from there. I didn't enjoy it but the point was I didn't know how else to handle this. Either you do that or you retreat."
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

Christ, the overall positive replies to this. We’re going to have segregation, but woke soon enough.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Came into some extra, unexpected money, so I "sensibly" blew part of it on a coffee table book, which arrived today.

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

7) So Long and Thanks for All the Fish - Douglas Adams. Audiobook. 1984. A better novel than I remember. From a reader's perspective, one of the tragedies of Adams' life is that it was so short that the H2g2 books ended up being such a the huge percentage of his oeuvre and he was so obviously not into being defined by sassy robots, however much money was in those hills. On reflection, this is a glimpse of a post-Hitchhiker's Adams. He wrote a lovely sincere book about romance and then named the male lead Arthur Dent. That's more or less all the character here has in common with the Earthman protagonist of the previous three books. The sci fi trappings are so undercooked as to be ignorable, though funny. They're like cameos or extracts from a different book entirely, but not unwelcome. What remains is a great, humane portrait of the early days of a love affair, of two people finding one another against the odds and getting a scratch of happiness.

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

Silent Majority wrote:
10 Feb 2021, 12:26pm
7) So Long and Thanks for All the Fish - Douglas Adams. Audiobook. 1984. A better novel than I remember. From a reader's perspective, one of the tragedies of Adams' life is that it was so short that the H2g2 books ended up being such a the huge percentage of his oeuvre and he was so obviously not into being defined by sassy robots, however much money was in those hills. On reflection, this is a glimpse of a post-Hitchhiker's Adams. He wrote a lovely sincere book about romance and then named the male lead Arthur Dent. That's more or less all the character here has in common with the Earthman protagonist of the previous three books. The sci fi trappings are so undercooked as to be ignorable, though funny. They're like cameos or extracts from a different book entirely, but not unwelcome. What remains is a great, humane portrait of the early days of a love affair, of two people finding one another against the odds and getting a scratch of happiness.
Honestly wish this had been the end of the series, as I found the frankly cruel nihilism of the fifth book left a bitter taste in my mouth. Maybe if he’d lived long enough to write a sixth book when he was in a better mood (apparently this was a low point of his emotional life)
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Wolter wrote:
10 Feb 2021, 12:28pm
Silent Majority wrote:
Honestly wish this had been the end of the series, as I found the frankly cruel nihilism of the fifth book left a bitter taste in my mouth. Maybe if he’d lived long enough to write a sixth book when he was in a better mood (apparently this was a low point of his emotional life)
I'm going to try and enjoy that one soon.

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
10 Feb 2021, 11:55am
Came into some extra, unexpected money, so I "sensibly" blew part of it on a coffee table book, which arrived today.
Please let me know how this is.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Silent Majority wrote:
I'll have to re-read this one. I think I might have gotten hung up on it not having any continuity with the previous books, but your description sounds worthy of a revisit with a fresh mind.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
10 Feb 2021, 1:51pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Glossy, lots and lots of photos, candid and posed. Sleeve repros, set lists, newspaper clippings, diary entries. And small essays scattered throughout. Kevin Haskins put it together and it has that insider feel to it all.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
10 Feb 2021, 2:06pm
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Glossy, lots and lots of photos, candid and posed. Sleeve repros, set lists, newspaper clippings, diary entries. And small essays scattered throughout. Kevin Haskins put it together and it has that insider feel to it all.
I said let me know HOW it is, not WHAT it is!

Really just curious if it's worth the investment of money and space from your perspective.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
11 Feb 2021, 12:30am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
10 Feb 2021, 2:06pm
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
I said let me know HOW it is, not WHAT it is!

Really just curious if it's worth the investment of money and space from your perspective.
I don't understand what you mean by how. How much personal enjoyment I got out of it? It was a silly indulgent purchase, which is generally how I feel about all books like this. I can always justify books primarily of text more than those of photos, but that's me. But as a Bauhaus fan, it seems decent.

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

8) Coyote Songs - Gabino Iglesias. Paperback. 2018. A strong hardboiled horror novel set at the Mexican border with the US. It's a convincing set of stories about a contemporary, long forgotten class of people trying to survive in a world that's getting harder. The stories just about interlink but I've got to imagine that this is a novel that's at least halfway a fix-up, like Blood on Satan's Claw. Impressive and memorable, with some images that I will long carry with me.

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/