Whatcha reading?

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: Whatcha reading?

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
07 Sep 2022, 2:15pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
06 Sep 2022, 7:40pm
Kory wrote:
06 Sep 2022, 4:56pm
Finishing up this book, which is ok, but really heavily focused on situationism and Malcolm. Which is fine, it pretty much delivers what it said it's going to, but after reading Jordan's autobio, there's certainly a lot of repeated info for me.
Could you summarize? I do use Marcus in my punk course as a basic piece on punk and situationism. If I could replace it, I'd be interested.
When I said "finishing up," I meant I was half-done and planned to read the other half that night, but it didn't work out with my timing. In any case, it's started going into other topics now—focusing on Derek Jarman, Andrew Logan, the cross-section of queer culture and fascist imagery among the Bromley Contingent, Penny Rimbaud's piece "Banned from the Roxy," etc. I'm not sure it's going to be a good replacement for Lipstick Traces if that book is REALLY situationism-based (I never got too far into its pomposity), but I'll let you know when I wrap up.
Ah, okay. I just assign the prologue of Lipstick Traces, but I would prefer a less-up-its-own-butt short piece on punk as situationist. The ones I've found have been little better. The upside is that I pair it with Stewart Home's Cranked Up Really High, which is such an assholish response to Marcus that it has students sympathizing with Greil (even if Home's argument is more appealing). Aannnnnnnyway.
"I used to bullseye womp rats in my T-16 back in Whittier, they're not much bigger than two meters.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
07 Sep 2022, 2:31pm
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Finishing up this book, which is ok, but really heavily focused on situationism and Malcolm. Which is fine, it pretty much delivers what it said it's going to, but after reading Jordan's autobio, there's certainly a lot of repeated info for me.
Could you summarize? I do use Marcus in my punk course as a basic piece on punk and situationism. If I could replace it, I'd be interested.
When I said "finishing up," I meant I was half-done and planned to read the other half that night, but it didn't work out with my timing. In any case, it's started going into other topics now—focusing on Derek Jarman, Andrew Logan, the cross-section of queer culture and fascist imagery among the Bromley Contingent, Penny Rimbaud's piece "Banned from the Roxy," etc. I'm not sure it's going to be a good replacement for Lipstick Traces if that book is REALLY situationism-based (I never got too far into its pomposity), but I'll let you know when I wrap up.
Ah, okay. I just assign the prologue of Lipstick Traces, but I would prefer a less-up-its-own-butt short piece on punk as situationist. The ones I've found have been little better. The upside is that I pair it with Stewart Home's Cranked Up Really High, which is such an assholish response to Marcus that it has students sympathizing with Greil (even if Home's argument is more appealing). Aannnnnnnyway.
OK, gotcha. I'll re-read those sections with that in mind, I think I might still have the PDF of LT that you sent me too, I can compare it to the prologue. A lot of it was really "Malcolm was a situationist, which made him make these decisions and moves with regard to both the Pistols and his dealings with 430 King's Road," as opposed to situationist theory, per se. But I'll let you know.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
07 Sep 2022, 2:56pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
07 Sep 2022, 2:31pm
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
OK, gotcha. I'll re-read those sections with that in mind, I think I might still have the PDF of LT that you sent me too, I can compare it to the prologue. A lot of it was really "Malcolm was a situationist, which made him make these decisions and moves with regard to both the Pistols and his dealings with 430 King's Road," as opposed to situationist theory, per se. But I'll let you know.
Yeah, that's a bit astray from what I use it for. I just want to put a bug in their brain that one interpretation of punk is that it's part of a wider art-driven critique of modern life.
"I used to bullseye womp rats in my T-16 back in Whittier, they're not much bigger than two meters.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Finished up Hollywood Death Trip, which is a collection of his podcast of the same name. Unfortunately, based on this, he's become a parody of himself, like he's playing a James Ellroy character in his writing. Maybe I'm past him? But it seems like it's very rote. As well, I get that he's haunted by his mother's rape and murder and how that shaped his outlook, but his fixation on violence against women can come off as gratuitous or lusty. Like he revels in the horrible details.

Not sure what's up next for audiobooks. I'm listening to a short podcast my sister sent me about the connection between Gone With the Wind and fascism, 1930s and present.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Audio:
Hannah Arendt, Eichmann in Jerusalem. One of those Significant Books that I only know from reputation and reference in other discussions.

Tub:
Hal Niedzviecki, We Want Some Too. Read this when it came out in 2000 and I recall thinking it decent. Pulled it off the shelf to revisit. The first chapter doesn't have me enthused as his terminology seems sloppy. But I'll press on for a few chapters, anyway.

Bedtime:
Sarah Churchwell, The Wrath To Come. This is the author interviewed in the podcast I mentioned above. She's written another book on American fascism, but this one seems geared toward popular culture and memory, which is right down the plate for me.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
09 Sep 2022, 1:38pm
Finished up Hollywood Death Trip, which is a collection of his podcast of the same name. Unfortunately, based on this, he's become a parody of himself, like he's playing a James Ellroy character in his writing. Maybe I'm past him? But it seems like it's very rote. As well, I get that he's haunted by his mother's rape and murder and how that shaped his outlook, but his fixation on violence against women can come off as gratuitous or lusty. Like he revels in the horrible details.

Not sure what's up next for audiobooks. I'm listening to a short podcast my sister sent me about the connection between Gone With the Wind and fascism, 1930s and present.
Speaking of audiobooks, have you ever heard the Sandman one? I'm really curious how one listens to a comic book. Does somebody write a narration that describes what's happening on-panel?

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
12 Sep 2022, 3:32pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Speaking of audiobooks, have you ever heard the Sandman one? I'm really curious how one listens to a comic book. Does somebody write a narration that describes what's happening on-panel?
I've never heard of an audiobook version of a comic. I can't imagine how that could be done. "In the next panel, Spider-man presses his webshooters and they go 'thwipp.'"

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
12 Sep 2022, 3:39pm
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

I've never heard of an audiobook version of a comic. I can't imagine how that could be done. "In the next panel, Spider-man presses his webshooters and they go 'thwipp.'"
The Sandman one is apparently pretty highly rated (possibly just because of the cast). I might check it out, just out of curiosity over how such a thing could be done.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
12 Sep 2022, 3:44pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

The Sandman one is apparently pretty highly rated (possibly just because of the cast). I might check it out, just out of curiosity over how such a thing could be done.
Here's a link: https://tusfiles.com/9ly7bgmauap6

It works, but you have to click multiple times, closing the ad windows.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
12 Sep 2022, 3:50pm
Kory wrote:
12 Sep 2022, 3:44pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Here's a link: https://tusfiles.com/9ly7bgmauap6

It works, but you have to click multiple times, closing the ad windows.
Thanks! DL'ed without too much trouble.

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

110) And Away - Bob Mortimer. Audiobook. 2021. A reflective and at times laugh out loud memoir from Vic Reeves' sidekick. The best parts are after he gets famous, as usual, but there's lots of stories which are memorable and poignant by turns. As he works, over a lifetime, to become comfortable in his skin and overcome his shyness, you find yourself feeling simpatico with him and his most human, and seemingly small, of struggles.

111) Cycle of the Werewolf - Stephen King. 1983. Audiobook. A very typical short story, which may have come from Nightmares & Dreamscapes, taken out into a novella. This is bloody mawed cocaine King. I said on Twitter the other day that there's no writer quite like Cocaine King. The difference is a little like this:

DRUNK KING: Glenn McKnight cursed all the son-of-a-bitch Polacks as he gunned through his eighth six pack of the night. The baseball bat filled his filthy paw and he thought of getting up and smashing the legs out from under that goddamn weenie neighbour brat.

COCAINE KING: A yellow eyed demon, talons as sharp as lemon juice razor blades, beat its wings above Mary-Lou. A retching sound filled the air as it gave chase, following the scent of fresh blood still dripping from her dangling Achilles tendon.

PAIN KILLER KING: Jerry went to the closet. The top shelf was too high to see and was covered in a thin film of dust and had a shoebox of baseball cards from when he was a kid. The second shelf had a long, steel flashlight, bought from an obese woman who had run a gas station an...

SOBER KING: The old man smiled, his blue Maine eyes sparkling. "Ayuh. It was a hell of a story. I don't know if you youngsters are interested in something the likes of that. Maybe we'll sit together for eight hours next week and I'll show you my scrapbook on the subject."

112) The Cake and the Rain - Jimmy Webb. Hardback. 2017. An extremely novelistic memoir from the writer of MacArthur Park and other songs. I liked the book, the writer badly wants to know how many drugs he took and how much of a Democrat he was. He drops anecdotes like the shameless starfucker we want every famous autobiography to be. Elvis, Sinatra, the Beatles, Richard Harris, Harry Nilsson, they all turn up. Worth a read but clearly hacked to pieces in the editing and Webb does make the ahistorical claim that he was the first to say fuck on a record in 1972.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Silent Majority wrote:
14 Sep 2022, 3:24am
110) And Away - Bob Mortimer. Audiobook. 2021. A reflective and at times laugh out loud memoir from Vic Reeves' sidekick. The best parts are after he gets famous, as usual, but there's lots of stories which are memorable and poignant by turns. As he works, over a lifetime, to become comfortable in his skin and overcome his shyness, you find yourself feeling simpatico with him and his most human, and seemingly small, of struggles.
Must admit i never took all that much notice of him until his recent and highly touted appearances on the WILTY panel show, through which I've grown to simply adore him and the warmth and sheer humanity of this book, as you describe it, thoroughly confirms it. And while I haven't the remotest interest in fishing, I also love his tv series with Paul Whitehouse.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Silent Majority wrote:
111) Cycle of the Werewolf - Stephen King. 1983. Audiobook. A very typical short story, which may have come from Nightmares & Dreamscapes, taken out into a novella. This is bloody mawed cocaine King. I said on Twitter the other day that there's no writer quite like Cocaine King. The difference is a little like this:

DRUNK KING: Glenn McKnight cursed all the son-of-a-bitch Polacks as he gunned through his eighth six pack of the night. The baseball bat filled his filthy paw and he thought of getting up and smashing the legs out from under that goddamn weenie neighbour brat.

COCAINE KING: A yellow eyed demon, talons as sharp as lemon juice razor blades, beat its wings above Mary-Lou. A retching sound filled the air as it gave chase, following the scent of fresh blood still dripping from her dangling Achilles tendon.

PAIN KILLER KING: Jerry went to the closet. The top shelf was too high to see and was covered in a thin film of dust and had a shoebox of baseball cards from when he was a kid. The second shelf had a long, steel flashlight, bought from an obese woman who had run a gas station an...

SOBER KING: The old man smiled, his blue Maine eyes sparkling. "Ayuh. It was a hell of a story. I don't know if you youngsters are interested in something the likes of that. Maybe we'll sit together for eight hours next week and I'll show you my scrapbook on the subject."
:lol: Bang on. You might tweet that at him—he might get a laugh.

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
14 Sep 2022, 6:12am
Silent Majority wrote:

The movie is Silver Bullet with Corey Haim and Gary Busey
We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

tepista wrote:
14 Sep 2022, 10:15am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
14 Sep 2022, 6:12am
Silent Majority wrote:

The movie is Silver Bullet with Corey Haim and Gary Busey
https://comb.io/AFNznV