Whatcha reading?

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Re: Whatcha reading?

Post by tepista »

I cancelled my free 30 day trial of Audible from Amazon. FYI, its $15 a month and that comes with a free book, but if you cancel, they offer you 3 months at $7.50 per. So if anyone's interested in that.

I'm going back to eyeball books, my 2 choices are part 4 of my Dracula fantasy where the son of Dracula visits NYC in the 70s, or The Shining.
We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

tepista wrote:
09 Feb 2020, 5:36pm
I cancelled my free 30 day trial of Audible from Amazon. FYI, its $15 a month and that comes with a free book, but if you cancel, they offer you 3 months at $7.50 per. So if anyone's interested in that.

I'm going back to eyeball books, my 2 choices are part 4 of my Dracula fantasy where the son of Dracula visits NYC in the 70s, or The Shining.
I was an Audible subscriber for a lot of years, but the quality of the selection started to shrink while the number of multi-credit books grew, so I said fuck it, I'll pirate. The moment these companies start to erode the value for the money (ahem, Netflix), I walk away. Make it better, not worse.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

Oh, I've never seen a multi credit book on UK audible.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

7) Stick - Elmore Leonard. Audiobook. Didn't realise this was a sequel until I was way into it. Stick, the tough protagonist just returning from 7 years in jail, previously appeared in a book called Swag, which explains the events that got him sent down. Through the midsection I found it a very samey-Leonard book, it's like he'd played mad libs with the characters and in places the events feel like a dry run for Get Shorty. It washed by without much impact, like a mediocre film you enjoy watching. By the end, the twisting nature of the scam and quality of the writing had won me strongly over. This was a book to hang out with the characters with not being overly concerned with where it was going.

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Started this on Doc's recommendation, and really liking the beginning. Have gotten through Black Flag, Minutement, Mission of Burma, and Minor Threat, but I think I'm going to have to skip the middle because I really don't care about Sonic Youth, Big Black, Dinosaur Jr., Mudhoney, etc.

In any case the Minutemen chapter talks a lot about some of the stuff we were discussing earlier regarding what makes punk. Lot's of talk of DIY and controlling your own path. The MoB section has a lot about turning away from attempts at fame. Really good stuff, looking forward to skipping to the Fugazi chapter.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
21 Feb 2020, 3:50pm
https://static.stereogum.com/uploads/20 ... 08x912.jpg

Started this on Doc's recommendation, and really liking the beginning. Have gotten through Black Flag, Minutement, Mission of Burma, and Minor Threat, but I think I'm going to have to skip the middle because I really don't care about Sonic Youth, Big Black, Dinosaur Jr., Mudhoney, etc.

In any case the Minutemen chapter talks a lot about some of the stuff we were discussing earlier regarding what makes punk. Lot's of talk of DIY and controlling your own path. The MoB section has a lot about turning away from attempts at fame. Really good stuff, looking forward to skipping to the Fugazi chapter.
I wouldn't skip them (well, maybe the Mudhoney one) as, collectively, it does illustrate the American underground in the 80s. In retrospect, it really is remarkable what those disparate bands accomplished with limited resources and networking.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Stuff finished while on the road:
Blatty's Legion. Still like the book, but I'd forgotten what a full-stop kind of ending it has.
Soule's Anyone. The premise had potential, but it was wasted on a thriller plot. I finished it more out of obligation than enjoyment.

Starting:
Re-reading Vaughan and Guerra's Y: The Last Man. Been seven years or so since I last read it.
Started Blatty's Dimiter, which I'd never heard of, but is described as a thematic successor to The Exorcist and Legion.
Getting back to rowing tomorrow, and will begin listening to John Hodgman's Medallion Status, which I gather is a collection of tales about his minor celebrity. Anyway, some light humour.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
21 Feb 2020, 3:58pm
Kory wrote:

I wouldn't skip them (well, maybe the Mudhoney one) as, collectively, it does illustrate the American underground in the 80s. In retrospect, it really is remarkable what those disparate bands accomplished with limited resources and networking.
I'll try, but I can see having a hard time concentrating on the stories of bands I actively dislike.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
21 Feb 2020, 4:39pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:

I'll try, but I can see having a hard time concentrating on the stories of bands I actively dislike.
I suppose it does depend on the purpose you bring to the reading. If it's fan-interest biography, it makes sense to skip bands you dislike. But a wider historical curiosity, something fuller is better. So, yeah, I shouldn't be presumptuous.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
21 Feb 2020, 4:44pm
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:

I suppose it does depend on the purpose you bring to the reading. If it's fan-interest biography, it makes sense to skip bands you dislike. But a wider historical curiosity, something fuller is better. So, yeah, I shouldn't be presumptuous.
I'm not sure these are wide enough in their history. There's a lot of talk about the personalities of the band members and stuff. I just can't fathom wanting to read about Steve Albini's issues with his drummer or whatever.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
21 Feb 2020, 5:09pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:

I'm not sure these are wide enough in their history. There's a lot of talk about the personalities of the band members and stuff. I just can't fathom wanting to read about Steve Albini's issues with his drummer or whatever.
It depends on the kinds of questions we ask. Biography, even collective biography, is often tough to appreciate as history—the scope is necessarily quite limited to individual(s)—but I think the book does offer a fairly decent entry point to appreciating how these bands and scenes built something that would erupt in the 90s. But you can only get that by thinking about this stuff as a whole.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
21 Feb 2020, 5:30pm
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

It depends on the kinds of questions we ask. Biography, even collective biography, is often tough to appreciate as history—the scope is necessarily quite limited to individual(s)—but I think the book does offer a fairly decent entry point to appreciating how these bands and scenes built something that would erupt in the 90s. But you can only get that by thinking about this stuff as a whole.
Well I'll do it because you say it's important, but when I'm in the middle of Thurston Moore's third argument with his mom, I'm coming for you.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
21 Feb 2020, 5:48pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
21 Feb 2020, 5:30pm
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:

Well I'll do it because you say it's important, but when I'm in the middle of Thurston Moore's third argument with his mom, I'm coming for you.
I've already changed my name and grown a moustache!

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

8) Moorish Spain - Richard Fletcher. Paperback. This has been sitting on my shelf waiting to be read since the last time I visited Spain, years ago.

It's a brief history of the time when the country was run by Islamic caliphs. It's a little dry, which is a surprise because the target reader seems to be someone in Spain touring the sights that decorate the country to this day. It's the same story of turmoil and bickering with about the same level of beauty and learning you found elsewhere. Romanticising an era, like that clod Washington Irving did, is a fool's game. What I liked was the feeling that the details here are half forgotten. You don't hear much about the time in the mainstream.

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

9) Negotiation Genius: Overcome Obstacles and Achieve Brilliant Results at the Bargaining Table and Beyond by Deepak Malhotra and Max H. Bazerman. Audiobook. I started on this one when my colleagues asked me to represent them in redundancy meetings. The bulk of the work was more a presentation than a negotiation. The only leverage I could have brought was the withdrawal of my colleagues' labour, but I dismissed that tactic because we were too dependent on management's goodwill and the work was all getting ramped up in the Philippines even as the meetings were ongoing, so a strike would have proved very little. I sweated over the proposal (which would have saved the company a million pounds over three years, protected eight more jobs, and looked after key accounts) for two weeks. There was no business reason to keep the call part of the call centre in the UK, so sixty odd jobs were still to be chopped. The book was useful in arming me with practical, focused business language and honestly was pretty helpful in better understanding human interactions. The presentation went very well and garnered a lot of praise and I was proud of what I had done. The vast bulk of my counter proposal was ignored and all but two fixed term contracts were made redundant. The guys will be losing their jobs in mid March.

The book is a lot more interesting and helpful than I expected it it to be. It's practical and honest.

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/