Whatcha reading?

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: Whatcha reading?

Post by Dr. Medulla »

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyl ... -about-you

The tone here suggests no matter what you do with your books, it's to be an asshole seeking to impress somehow. Me, I'm #4—because, yeah, asshole, I do actually come back to books and would like to fine the one I'm seeking—that evolves into #1, because I tend to accumulate stuff until a fit of cleanliness afflicts me.
"Ain't no party like an S Club party!'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Olaf
Unknown Immortal

Post by Olaf »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
18 Jan 2024, 8:02am

The tone here suggests no matter what you do with your books, it's to be an asshole seeking to impress somehow. Me, I'm #4—because, yeah, asshole, I do actually come back to books and would like to fine the one I'm seeking—that evolves into #1, because I tend to accumulate stuff until a fit of cleanliness afflicts me.
I'm #1 apparently, but honestly, it's not meant to convey anything. Except lack of organization, maybe.
Attachments
20240118_131757.jpg
20240118_133005.jpg
Who pfaffed the pfaff? Who got pfaffed tonight?

Olaf
Unknown Immortal

Post by Olaf »

Also #5, but I keep my books inside the table.
Attachments
20240118_132210.jpg

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Olaf wrote:
18 Jan 2024, 8:49am
Dr. Medulla wrote:

I'm #1 apparently, but honestly, it's not meant to convey anything. Except lack of organization, maybe.
Yes, those photos are like my shelves. It starts out as #4, and whenever I clean shit up it returns—temporarily—to that state, but with time it turns into #1.
"Ain't no party like an S Club party!'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Olaf wrote:
18 Jan 2024, 8:52am
Also #5, but I keep my books inside the table.
Oversized stuff either lies flat or is on the very top where there's more room. Again, it's about finding a space rather than curating one.

Olaf
Unknown Immortal

Post by Olaf »

Wonder if I should give this a go for 99 cents.

Obviously, the story will never be able to match up to the cover.
Attachments
FB_IMG_1705511505719.jpg

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Olaf wrote:
18 Jan 2024, 9:16am
Wonder if I should give this a go for 99 cents.

Obviously, the story will never be able to match up to the cover.
There was an old rule in the pulp novel biz in the 40s–50s that the weakest stories received the best covers. Those books were never advertised, so they relied on flashy covers or word-of-mouth recommendation (or brand satisfaction—if you liked Gold Medal's last couple books, maybe you'll like their next one …).

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

Dr. Medulla wrote:

Fucking most British thing I've read today.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:

I'm a combo of 1 and 3, I have way too many books to even bother trying to organize them anymore. Plus my bookcases all have shelves of varying heights so the odd tall book would throw the whole thing off anyway when I had to find another place for it.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
18 Jan 2024, 7:03pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:

I'm a combo of 1 and 3, I have way too many books to even bother trying to organize them anymore. Plus my bookcases all have shelves of varying heights so the odd tall book would throw the whole thing off anyway when I had to find another place for it.
I do have piles of books in certain places (mainly research to-read or current course texts), but by no means are they artfully assembled or displayed.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
18 Jan 2024, 7:19pm
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

I do have piles of books in certain places (mainly research to-read or current course texts), but by no means are they artfully assembled or displayed.
Oh yeah, I didn't mean that part was what I was doing, just that I have distinct "to read" piles.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
18 Jan 2024, 8:53pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Oh yeah, I didn't mean that part was what I was doing, just that I have distinct "to read" piles.
Piles serve as guilt nags for me. They aren't convenience, but rather silent scolds.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
18 Jan 2024, 9:06pm
Kory wrote:
18 Jan 2024, 8:53pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Piles serve as guilt nags for me. They aren't convenience, but rather silent scolds.
They definitely loom.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Still chugging along with Meet Me in the Bathroom aka a Celebration of Rich Kids Pursuing Fame By Exploring/Exploiting the Bohemian Life. It's become a hate-listen. The music aside—some of it I like, some I don't get the big deal—but the biographies and anecdotes don't endear me one bit to the main characters. So and so inherited some money and decided property would be a good investment, so he bought a bar. This guy met that guy at boarding school in Europe. I didn't know what to do with my life, so my mother found me a film school course in NY and moved me there. And because there's no context or analysis from Goodman, the intended reading of it all should be celebratory. I remember a student in my punk class thought we should read this. If we had, it would have been me steering them to understand that there is nothing punk about this story.

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
22 Jan 2024, 11:26am
Still chugging along with Meet Me in the Bathroom aka a Celebration of Rich Kids Pursuing Fame By Exploring/Exploiting the Bohemian Life. It's become a hate-listen. The music aside—some of it I like, some I don't get the big deal—but the biographies and anecdotes don't endear me one bit to the main characters. So and so inherited some money and decided property would be a good investment, so he bought a bar. This guy met that guy at boarding school in Europe. I didn't know what to do with my life, so my mother found me a film school course in NY and moved me there. And because there's no context or analysis from Goodman, the intended reading of it all should be celebratory. I remember a student in my punk class thought we should read this. If we had, it would have been me steering them to understand that there is nothing punk about this story.
I'm a lot more careful about my inverted snobbery than I used to be but I feel so much of a lack of artistic hunger or urgency in these artists, particularly after their first albums. Lots of great music came from the middle class, but these people in their stylish and expensive leather jackets are the same scions of the idle rich who would have busied themselves with a Grand Tour at that time in their lives in another century.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/