Whatcha reading?

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Kory
Unknown Immortal

Re: Whatcha reading?

Post by Kory »

Sparky wrote:
15 Apr 2021, 8:01pm
Kory wrote:
15 Apr 2021, 5:28pm
Finally got to read this. Kinda fun to hear about the stories of people that were there, even if there is a lot of repeated info. Something about reading almost anything about the band puts me in a good mood. That's how you know something is your #1. Also pretty funny to find that Paul isn't ALWAYS photogenic.

Looks interesting, tried to locate a copy in the US, can't even find used ones. Wonder why it's not available?
I got mine direct from the publisher, didn’t take too long to arrive: https://www.tonybeesleymodworld.co.uk/a ... ow/7944912
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

Kory wrote:
15 Apr 2021, 11:05pm
Sparky wrote:
15 Apr 2021, 8:01pm
Kory wrote:
15 Apr 2021, 5:28pm
Finally got to read this. Kinda fun to hear about the stories of people that were there, even if there is a lot of repeated info. Something about reading almost anything about the band puts me in a good mood. That's how you know something is your #1. Also pretty funny to find that Paul isn't ALWAYS photogenic.

Looks interesting, tried to locate a copy in the US, can't even find used ones. Wonder why it's not available?
I got mine direct from the publisher, didn’t take too long to arrive: https://www.tonybeesleymodworld.co.uk/a ... ow/7944912
Thanks Kory, I saw his site and wasn't sure about the shipping to the US, there was a disclaimer about a possible increase in fees which were already at $22 US to ship. I'm going to keep looking, but may have to just accept the cost.

Due to recent changes since the UK left the EU, there may be additional fees on receipt of your parcel.
God, what a mess, on the ladder of success
Where you take one step and miss the whole first rung

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

14) Paperbacks from Hell - Grady Hendrix. Kindle. 2017. A very fun book about the trashy horror paperbacks from the 70s to the early 90s. Complete with many a synopsis of insane sounding, misogynistic stories and lots of pictures of the incredible covers. If you don't come out of this wanting to read at least six of these books, you've got no heart. The writing is accomplished, heartfelt, and takes the excesses to task when they're punching down. There's wit and a few laugh out loud lines. Heavy recommend from me.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Finished listening to Kim Gordon's memoir. Quite torn on this. For a story that, not surprisingly, is grounded in the betrayal and end of her relationship to Thurston Moore, it feels quite dry, almost stoic. I wasn't looking for wailing and tantrums, but it often seemed rather distant and clinical. Which would be fine, but so much of the book begins and then drops hints about this grand finale, so, clearly, it's the event that drives this story. The other thing that bothered me is there is no self-reflection or even rationalization of how SY goes from pure underground band to signing with Geffen and they're hobnobbing with Marc Jacobs and walking red carpets and the like. Doesn't this require evaluation? How do they justify this? Did they change their values? But it's all this, then this, then this with regards to the band's history. On the other hand, she takes some appreciated shots at, among others, Courtney Love and Billy Corgan.

Next audiobook. I know zilch about this, bit it seems a light, popular history, with some murder and mayhem thrown in. All I expect and home for is a yarn.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

15) A Murder of Quality - John LeCarre. Audiobook. 1962. A George Smiley novel without any spying. The main character solves a murder, Jessica Fletcher style, at a posh boys school. Le Carre loathes the snobbery of the masters but I still had to spend time with them. Short, with some charm springing from the laser focus of Smiley.
Last edited by Silent Majority on 29 Apr 2021, 6:02am, edited 1 time in total.

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Dr. Medulla wrote:
17 Apr 2021, 11:48am
Finished listening to Kim Gordon's memoir. Quite torn on this. For a story that, not surprisingly, is grounded in the betrayal and end of her relationship to Thurston Moore, it feels quite dry, almost stoic. I wasn't looking for wailing and tantrums, but it often seemed rather distant and clinical. Which would be fine, but so much of the book begins and then drops hints about this grand finale, so, clearly, it's the event that drives this story. The other thing that bothered me is there is no self-reflection or even rationalization of how SY goes from pure underground band to signing with Geffen and they're hobnobbing with Marc Jacobs and walking red carpets and the like. Doesn't this require evaluation? How do they justify this? Did they change their values? But it's all this, then this, then this with regards to the band's history. On the other hand, she takes some appreciated shots at, among others, Courtney Love and Billy Corgan.
Too much bloody perspective?

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Silent Majority wrote:
17 Apr 2021, 3:57pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
17 Apr 2021, 11:48am
Too much bloody perspective?
Ha! Nicely applied.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
09 Mar 2021, 8:08pm
Up next:
I've had this on the shelf for awhile, so it's next. All I know is that it's highly regarded and about Berlin between the wars.
Have you made much headway with this? It was one of my favorite GN's I read the year that the hardcover was released, I'm curious what you think of it.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
26 Apr 2021, 3:54pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Up next:
I've had this on the shelf for awhile, so it's next. All I know is that it's highly regarded and about Berlin between the wars.
Have you made much headway with this? It was one of my favorite GN's I read the year that the hardcover was released, I'm curious what you think of it.
Finished it awhile back. I had a hard time keeping the characters separate, but I appreciated the down-to-the-ground portrayal. I wouldn't say I was especially taken by it, but it was humanist amidst horrible ideology.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
26 Apr 2021, 4:11pm
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Up next:
Finished it awhile back. I had a hard time keeping the characters separate, but I appreciated the down-to-the-ground portrayal. I wouldn't say I was especially taken by it, but it was humanist amidst horrible ideology.
Have you read other "historical" graphic novels that you would put it up against, either positively or negatively?

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
26 Apr 2021, 4:23pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Up next:
https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com ... w6mXbL.jpg
Have you read other "historical" graphic novels that you would put it up against, either positively or negatively?
The only one that I can think of is this, which a friend gave me:
It's the story of the author's grandfather, who served in the Canadian military during World War II. Simple, direct, touching.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
26 Apr 2021, 4:32pm
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Up next:
https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com ... w6mXbL.jpg
It's the story of the author's grandfather, who served in the Canadian military during World War II. Simple, direct, touching.
The art looks great, I'll check this out.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
26 Apr 2021, 4:38pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
26 Apr 2021, 4:32pm
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:

The art looks great, I'll check this out.
The art reminded me of Tintin.

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

Can't put this one down, really enjoying it.

Jim Dickinson - "I'm Just Dead, I'm Not Gone".
Attachments
Jim Dickinson - I'm Just Dead, I'm Not Gone.jpg
Jim Dickinson - I'm Just Dead, I'm Not Gone.jpg (91.28 KiB) Viewed 2105 times
Last edited by Sparky on 29 Apr 2021, 9:28am, edited 1 time in total.
God, what a mess, on the ladder of success
Where you take one step and miss the whole first rung

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

16) Infinitely Full of Hope: Fatherhood and the Future in an age of crisis and disaster - Tom Whyman. Kindle. 2021. A book about having babies in a world fated to be unlivable pretty damn quickly. The author is a funny and interesting fella and its a compact and easy read, even with its philosophical, scholarly bent. It takes the idea of hope through a few interconnected essays through the prism of Adorno and some other clever guys who's names presently escape me. The conclusion is that it's worth being a natalist cos your baby could be the one who does good for the world, but considering that Whyman and his partner have explicitly built their personalities around conceiving and raising a child and the book was written during the pregnancy, you'd be forgiven for thinking he'd decided the sum before doing the maths. It's a cute book, though I could do with the few precious italicised parts where he writes directly to his son.

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/