Whatcha reading?

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Kory
Unknown Immortal

Re: Whatcha reading?

Post by Kory »

Silent Majority wrote:
08 Nov 2020, 7:00am
86) Saga of the Swamp Thing Vol 1. - Alan Moore, Stephen Bissett, John Totleben. 1984. Comic. Enjoyed the fuck out of this, with Moore's typically deep, rich prose which luxuriates in its own vocabulary married to a brilliant, old fashioned colour style from old horror comics and occasionally in-the-character's head artwork. The themes of nature and symbiosis, growth and humanity are gone into in just the right amount of detail and what you're left with is great, pulp spookiness elevated by having been thought carefully about. Small criticism: Moore writing people's accents out, some of the Adult Themes are put in with a distracting self consciousness.
It's all great until his departure after book 6. I have a couple of the books from afterward but I haven't had time to read them yet.

Make sure you don't wind up reading one of the recolored ones, they change the tone immensely.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

Kory wrote:
09 Nov 2020, 2:01pm
Silent Majority wrote:
86) Saga of the Swamp Thing Vol 1. - Alan Moore, Stephen Bissett, John Totleben. 1984. Comic. Enjoyed the fuck out of this, with Moore's typically deep, rich prose which luxuriates in its own vocabulary married to a brilliant, old fashioned colour style from old horror comics and occasionally in-the-character's head artwork. The themes of nature and symbiosis, growth and humanity are gone into in just the right amount of detail and what you're left with is great, pulp spookiness elevated by having been thought carefully about. Small criticism: Moore writing people's accents out, some of the Adult Themes are put in with a distracting self consciousness.
It's all great until his departure after book 6. I have a couple of the books from afterward but I haven't had time to read them yet.

Make sure you don't wind up reading one of the recolored ones, they change the tone immensely.
I’m generally of the opinion that the only changers to color in pre-digital comics reprints should be remastering/fixing plates, and of necessary, a slight adjustment of tone to account for different paper stock.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Wolter wrote:
09 Nov 2020, 2:20pm
Kory wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:

I’m generally of the opinion that the only changers to color in pre-digital comics reprints should be remastering/fixing plates, and of necessary, a slight adjustment of tone to account for different paper stock.
Same here, this is where I think Marvel does an excellent job with their Masterworks series. The Swamp Thing recoloring makes it look like a totally different comic, and I'm not sure who they hope to entice with something like that.

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

Kory wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:

Thanks, I'll make sure I keep em to the original colours. My next comic is gonna be Grant Morrison's Invisibles.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Silent Majority wrote:
09 Nov 2020, 3:07pm
Kory wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:

Thanks, I'll make sure I keep em to the original colours. My next comic is gonna be Grant Morrison's Invisibles.
Let us know what you think of it, I've always had a hard time getting into Morrison.

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Kory wrote:
09 Nov 2020, 4:54pm
Silent Majority wrote:
Kory wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:

Let us know what you think of it, I've always had a hard time getting into Morrison.
I really liked All Star Superman, found Arkham Asylum a bit too precious.

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Silent Majority wrote:
09 Nov 2020, 5:00pm
Kory wrote:
09 Nov 2020, 4:54pm
Silent Majority wrote:
Kory wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:

I really liked All Star Superman, found Arkham Asylum a bit too precious.
I quite liked Morrison's book Supergods. It's a shame that most of his comics—All-Star Superman notwithstanding—leave me meh.
"Grab some wood, bub.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

I quite like Morrison. Arkham Asylum is too precious. It’s early and I think he got a lot better.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Apologies if this has already been mentioned

We’re Not Here to Entertain: Punk Rock, Ronald Reagan, and the Real Culture War of 1980s America, by Kevin Mattson

https://www.jacobinmag.com/2020/11/eigh ... -art-music

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
10 Nov 2020, 7:05am
Apologies if this has already been mentioned

We’re Not Here to Entertain: Punk Rock, Ronald Reagan, and the Real Culture War of 1980s America, by Kevin Mattson

https://www.jacobinmag.com/2020/11/eigh ... -art-music
Still haven't read it—probably in the next couple weeks as I catch up on other work—but it's being assigned for my punk seminar.
"Grab some wood, bub.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

87) Nation - Terry Pratchett. 2008. Paperback. Pratchett's own favourite of his novels. It's the story of a Pacific island in the nineteenth century that has the whole native population wiped out by a catastrophic tidal wave, save for one young man, who has the bulk of the novel's perspective written from. There's a shipwrecked Victorian girl and the two learn about each other's perspective. Loved the book, loved being told a new story by a master for the first time in a while. I've only very few of his books left which are new to me.

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Kimmelweck
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by Kimmelweck »

Anyone like Frank Herbert? I’m about to start re-reading The White Plague (1982). I enjoyed it the first time, about 10-15 years ago. Figured it would make some good pandemic reading. Set largely in Ireland, the main character is a biochemist whose wife and kids are killed by IRA terrorists. Out of revenge he releases a plague that kills only women, and the world scrambles to contain it.
The chair is against the wall. The chair is against the wall. John has a long mustache. John has a long mustache.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Kimmelweck wrote:
17 Nov 2020, 12:35pm
Anyone like Frank Herbert? I’m about to start re-reading The White Plague (1982). I enjoyed it the first time, about 10-15 years ago. Figured it would make some good pandemic reading. Set largely in Ireland, the main character is a biochemist whose wife and kids are killed by IRA terrorists. Out of revenge he releases a plague that kills only women, and the world scrambles to contain it.
I've just started Dune for the first time. At about 50 pages in it's a bit of a slog, but I've been told it gets better so I'm going to stick with it a little longer.

Kimmelweck
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by Kimmelweck »

Kory wrote:
17 Nov 2020, 1:26pm
Kimmelweck wrote:
17 Nov 2020, 12:35pm
I've just started Dune for the first time. At about 50 pages in it's a bit of a slog, but I've been told it gets better so I'm going to stick with it a little longer.
Oh yeah I love Dune and have read all 6 books. It definitely got me started on Herbert. It starts slow but gets much better. Hope you stick with it. Dune Messiah and Children of Dune (books 2 and 3 in the saga) are also great.There's supposed to be a new Dune movie, slated for Oct 2021 release, but it's been attempted and abandoned so many times I'll believe it when I see it. Hopefully modern cgi technology will finally make it possible. Lynch's 1984 version was a valiant attempt but so much got cut by the producers to make it shorter that the movie leaves out a lot of the story and left viewers a bit confused. Funny thing about Dune is that it was originally rejected by all the major publishers and was finally published in 1965 by Chilton, who pretty much just did car repair manuals. I think it's brilliant.
The chair is against the wall. The chair is against the wall. John has a long mustache. John has a long mustache.

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

I liked Dune and I don't really feel the need to revisit any more Herbert.

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/