Whatcha reading?

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Re: Whatcha reading?

Post by Wolter »

Stumbled onto an online resource of all the nerd shit I’m into: https://d.lib.rochester.edu

Look at all the impenetrable Middle English texts for me to stagger through. https://d.lib.rochester.edu/teams/catalog
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Silent Majority wrote:
18 May 2019, 10:11am
25) Earth Vs Everybody - John Swartzwelder. Kindle. Kind of like as if the Simpsons best writer wrote a Futurama episode.
Is that one of the Burly novels? I've read a bunch of those—maybe even the above—but they all blur together. Generally pretty funny stuff.
"Grab some wood, bub.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
18 May 2019, 10:16am
Silent Majority wrote:
25) Earth Vs Everybody - John Swartzwelder. Kindle. Kind of like as if the Simpsons best writer wrote a Futurama episode.
Is that one of the Burly novels? I've read a bunch of those—maybe even the above—but they all blur together. Generally pretty funny stuff.
That's the one. Frank Burly is like season nine Homer Simpson playing a noir detective in a Treehouse of Horror. Like his other novels, Swartzwelder is funny on every page but he's wise to keep his books short because the breakneck pace, lack of characters and Groucho style quips get exhausting near the end. A sugar rush.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Silent Majority wrote:
18 May 2019, 11:46am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
18 May 2019, 10:16am
Silent Majority wrote:
That's the one. Frank Burly is like season nine Homer Simpson playing a noir detective in a Treehouse of Horror. Like his other novels, Swartzwelder is funny on every page but he's wise to keep his books short because the breakneck pace, lack of characters and Groucho style quips get exhausting near the end. A sugar rush.
That's an apt description. The plots, thin as they are, serve only to move from one gag to the next. It works because he knows his tone and doesn't stray, and, well, he's immensely comedically gifted. But the books are sensibly short, like a 30-minute episode, to avoid burnout.

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Im re-reading Vince White Power's book on my vacay. Still eminently readable and full of ridiculous lying dialogue.

I'd forgotten he actually straight up channels Thatcher and says "there's no such thing as society." L O fucking L.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
18 May 2019, 10:11pm
Im re-reading Vince White Power's book on my vacay. Still eminently readable and full of ridiculous lying dialogue.

I'd forgotten he actually straight up channels Thatcher and says "there's no such thing as society." L O fucking L.
It's somehow perfect that mastermind Bernie drafted a fucking Thatcherite into the band. Nick's observation should serve as a warning to all bands: When you pick a guy for his attitude, that's what you're getting—his attitude.

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

26) Baldwin by Roy Jenkins. Audiobook. A short life of, with 90% of the focus on the Premiership of, Stanley Baldwin, the dominant interwar Prime Minister of Britain. He is mostly remembered today as a spineless appeaser, coming just before Neville Chamberlain. He was also, with a lazy pose of moderate Conservatism, a role model for David Cameron. Lotsa focus on his parliamentary speeches. Some of the pleasure, if you're me, which I am, come from seeing the likes of Churchill in sniping supporting roles. Jenkins is a good writer and was a terrible politician (in terms of leaving Labour for it being too left wing for him in the early 80s) so he's very good for the politics. I really enjoyed it.

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Silent Majority wrote:
21 May 2019, 7:48am
if you're me, which I am
What a marvelously pithy phrase. It seems especially British in its dry humour.

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Unless you are walking how do you stay awake listening to an audio book?

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

101Walterton wrote:
21 May 2019, 4:02pm
Never been a problem for me. It's actually the thing I concentrate on, especially when I'm exercising. It helps focus.

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
21 May 2019, 4:14pm
101Walterton wrote:
Never been a problem for me. It's actually the thing I concentrate on, especially when I'm exercising. It helps focus.
Yep I get the exercising thing, I like to walk the dogs and listen. But if I sit in a chair to listen I just fall asleep.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

101Walterton wrote:
21 May 2019, 4:42pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
21 May 2019, 4:14pm
101Walterton wrote:
Yep I get the exercising thing, I like to walk the dogs and listen. But if I sit in a chair to listen I just fall asleep.
Yeah, I can't just listen to an audiobook; it has to be in conjunction with something else.

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Yeah, same. If I'm sitting down, I'll read a book with my eyes like a chump. Audiobooks are for when I'm walking to work or doing chores.

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

27) Get Shorty - Elmore Leonard. Audiobook. It's contractually obilgated that if you find yourself writing about Elmore Leonard, even if it's only a capsule that's essentially for your own notes, that you mention his dialogue. And the dialogue's great. I don't know if it's as realistic as people tend to say, but it's engaging as anything. I liked this book. Male wish fulfilment in the James Bond mold. The plot matters about as much as in PG Wodehouse. It's a scene delivery system. A gangster - fatally miscast as John Travolta in the film version - goes to Hollywood and ends up caught up in the movie business of the late eighties. Apparently, this is basically a long and elaborate way of punishing Dustin Hoffman for being flighty as he and Leonard collaborated on something that came to nothing over six months. I can see myself getting into a bit of a EL phase.

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Flex wrote:
18 May 2019, 10:11pm

Finished this the other day. I still say it's one of the most fun Clash books out there: sex, drugs (well, booze) and rock. It's got it all. And Vince wrote in a real clear and easy style. Even if so much of it is obvious bullshit. He's capable of some great turns of phrases. Discussing Germany's capitalist embrace, he says something like: the locals head into McDonald's to order some more freedom. If he'd had just a TOUCH of self awareness to go along with his nihilism he could have had a career as a culture critic, imho. Instead, he was sincere about the proto alt right shit and turned into the sad sack of shit we all know.

It's funny, now (and especially after reading Ralph's book) I'm inclined to read most of the "interventions" from Joe (and especially) Nick and Pete as sincere efforts to help an obviously troubled band member rather than the nefarious attempts at control he assumes in the book.

Bernie, however, remains the great villain.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!