Whatcha reading?

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Re: Whatcha reading?

Post by Silent Majority »

60) Red Shelley - Paul Foot. Paperback. Reread. I first heard of this book when Paolo Hewitt described it as one of Paul Weller's favourites. It's a truly excellent book about Shelley's poetry, which is beautiful, and his politics, which were pretty right on.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

61) Game Changer: Eight Weeks Which Transformed British Politics - Steve Howell. Audiobook. An insider's view of Labour's 2017 election campaign as it looks likely that we'll be revving up for the 2019 vintage shortly. Fascinating in the minutiae and evidence of a savvy and hardworking machine.

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Silent Majority wrote:
10 Sep 2019, 5:34am
60) Red Shelley - Paul Foot. Paperback. Reread. I first heard of this book when Paolo Hewitt described it as one of Paul Weller's favourites. It's a truly excellent book about Shelley's poetry, which is beautiful, and his politics, which were pretty right on.
I read that in 81 - 82 and for a very similar reason. The sleeve of The Jam's Sound Affects album (and best album) had an excerpt from "The Masque of Anarchy" which is still one of my faves.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Marky Dread wrote:
12 Sep 2019, 3:29pm
Silent Majority wrote:
10 Sep 2019, 5:34am
I read that in 81 - 82 and for a very similar reason. The sleeve of The Jam's Sound Affects album (and best album) had an excerpt from "The Masque of Anarchy" which is still one of my faves.
What a great poem.

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

62) Naming the Bones - Laura Mauro. Paperback. A short novel set in a London I recognised. After a bomb on the underground, the main character starts to see horrific monsters invisible to everyone else. I would have been proud to write this book. It's authentic and filled with a very human understanding of people struggling. A book which is staying in my mind.

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Boddington
Junco Partner

Post by Boddington »

Just finished Mary Robinette Kowal's The Calculating Stars, which just won the Hugo for best novel. If you like alternate histories of earth with a bit of a sci-fi flair I can't recommend this book enough. The main character is in the vein of 'Hidden Figures,' a woman who calculates for a fledgling international space program to help humanity expand to the stars. She deals with sexism and racism and Kowal just nails the characterization of a lot of the side characters.

Also currently reading The Goblin Emperor by Katherine Addison. This one isn't as strong, as the author feels she's overly clever with all the layers of names and titles she's crafting out of thin air, but if you ignore a lot of that it's pretty interesting so far. I'm about 25% into it and despite the confusion I'm going to keep going.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

This has been surprisingly captivating. I've read many of these interviews, but there are some new ones too, and it's cool to get in these guys' heads every once in a while. It's notable how many interviewers (at least early on) were obsessed with the band's treatment of their fans and that they walked the talk.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Madness are releasing their autobiography next month When We were We. They are also releasing an audio book version that they have narrated themselves which I thought was really cool.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

101Walterton wrote:
18 Sep 2019, 5:15pm
Madness are releasing their autobiography next month When We were We. They are also releasing an audio book version that they have narrated themselves which I thought was really cool.
It will be the nuttiest book ever written.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Kory wrote:
18 Sep 2019, 6:00pm
101Walterton wrote:
Tarzan’s nuts, you’re an embarrassment.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Silent Majority wrote:
15 Sep 2019, 10:29am
62) Naming the Bones - Laura Mauro. Paperback. A short novel set in a London I recognised. After a bomb on the underground, the main character starts to see horrific monsters invisible to everyone else. I would have been proud to write this book. It's authentic and filled with a very human understanding of people struggling. A book which is staying in my mind.
Based on your summary, I just finished reading this. Quite good, even tho my Unbreakableesque guess around the middle was borne out (not complaining about the twist, only that I hoped it would have been something else). The self-doubt about reality did ring true.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Dr. Medulla wrote:
19 Sep 2019, 9:21pm
Silent Majority wrote:
15 Sep 2019, 10:29am
Based on your summary, I just finished reading this. Quite good, even tho my Unbreakableesque guess around the middle was borne out (not complaining about the twist, only that I hoped it would have been something else). The self-doubt about reality did ring true.
Cool - glad you liked it, even with reservations. I'm a dummy for plot twists. Unless they're actually scripted by Rod Serling, I never see em coming.

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

101Walterton wrote:
18 Sep 2019, 6:11pm
Kory wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
It'll be a grey day in our house if I don't get that book. Now shut up!

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Marky Dread wrote:
20 Sep 2019, 5:09am
101Walterton wrote:
Kory wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
Believe me I’m not stepping into line

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

101Walterton wrote:
20 Sep 2019, 5:42am
Marky Dread wrote:
20 Sep 2019, 5:09am
101Walterton wrote:
Kory wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
Believe me I’m not stepping into line
You'll be going one step beyond dancing to land of hope & glory in the middle of the night when this book comes out.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia