Whatcha reading?

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Re: Whatcha reading?

Post by Silent Majority »

56) As You Wish: Inconceivable Tales from the Making of The Princess Bride by Cary Elwes. Audiobook Read by the author and a good chunk of the surviving cast. Love this film, one of my favourites of all time, and this is a cheery throwaway cash in about how much fun it was to make. The best part of the book is the prolonged section on training for and practising the fencing scenes with Mandy Patinkin. Elwes is a likable posh guy who is actually British, despite having one of the fakest sounding English accent I've ever heard.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

laxman wrote:
02 Sep 2019, 6:07am
tepista wrote:
30 Aug 2019, 4:24pm
Silent Majority wrote:
30 Aug 2019, 3:40pm
tepista wrote:
30 Aug 2019, 12:26pm
Silent Majority wrote:
29 Aug 2019, 3:57am
50) War of the Worlds - HG Wells. Audiobook Read by Kelsey Grammer. Frasier! Sideshow Bob! Except the dude's actually a pretty sound actor and I couldn't force myself to imagine either of those characters narrating the heat death of the planet earth no matter how hard I tried. The novel's really well written and it's thrilling to see the special effects that continue to define time travel on screen to this day spring wholesale from one imagination. The morlocks coming for the time traveller in the dark are genuinely creepy and proto-Lovecraftian.
There were Morlocks in WotW? I don't remember (from the movie, obv.) but I do from Time Machine, of course.
Boy, what a brain fart. The above is actually my notes for the Time Machine. I must have been thinking of Orson Welles.
War of the Time Machines!
I read a sequel to the Time Machine that I thought was pretty good. The Time Ships, by Stephen Baxter. "The Authorized Sequel" According to the front cover.
I like the Baxter that I've read, might add it to the longlist

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

laxman wrote:
02 Sep 2019, 6:07am
tepista wrote:
30 Aug 2019, 4:24pm
Silent Majority wrote:
30 Aug 2019, 3:40pm
tepista wrote:
30 Aug 2019, 12:26pm
Silent Majority wrote:
29 Aug 2019, 3:57am
50) War of the Worlds - HG Wells. Audiobook Read by Kelsey Grammer. Frasier! Sideshow Bob! Except the dude's actually a pretty sound actor and I couldn't force myself to imagine either of those characters narrating the heat death of the planet earth no matter how hard I tried. The novel's really well written and it's thrilling to see the special effects that continue to define time travel on screen to this day spring wholesale from one imagination. The morlocks coming for the time traveller in the dark are genuinely creepy and proto-Lovecraftian.
There were Morlocks in WotW? I don't remember (from the movie, obv.) but I do from Time Machine, of course.
Boy, what a brain fart. The above is actually my notes for the Time Machine. I must have been thinking of Orson Welles.
War of the Time Machines!
I read a sequel to the Time Machine that I thought was pretty good. The Time Ships, by Stephen Baxter. "The Authorized Sequel" According to the front cover.
I think he may have used a Time Machine to get the authorization.
We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

Silent Majority wrote:
02 Sep 2019, 6:09am
56) As You Wish: Inconceivable Tales from the Making of The Princess Bride by Cary Elwes. Audiobook Read by the author and a good chunk of the surviving cast. Love this film, one of my favourites of all time, and this is a cheery throwaway cash in about how much fun it was to make. The best part of the book is the prolonged section on training for and practising the fencing scenes with Mandy Patinkin. Elwes is a likable posh guy who is actually British, despite having one of the fakest sounding English accent I've ever heard.
I just watched a documentary on André the Giant last night and Elwes’ interview accent was baffling to me. Posh Brit but he hit his r’s super hard.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Wolter wrote:
02 Sep 2019, 11:23am
Silent Majority wrote:
I just watched a documentary on André the Giant last night and Elwes’ interview accent was baffling to me. Posh Brit but he hit his r’s super hard.
Too much time in the US, I guess.

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Silent Majority wrote:
02 Sep 2019, 11:27am
Wolter wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:
Hugh Laurie weirds me the fuck out when he speaks with his natural accent. His voice for House was so seamless to North American ears that his normal speaking voice is so jarring.
"Ain't no party like an S Club party!'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Dr. Medulla wrote:
02 Sep 2019, 11:39am
Silent Majority wrote:
Wolter wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:
Hugh Laurie weirds me the fuck out when he speaks with his natural accent. His voice for House was so seamless to North American ears that his normal speaking voice is so jarring.
See, I never quite copped to that. He'll always have Bertie Wooster's face to me, or asking permission to shout hurrah loudly.

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Silent Majority wrote:
02 Sep 2019, 11:48am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
02 Sep 2019, 11:39am
Silent Majority wrote:
Wolter wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:
See, I never quite copped to that. He'll always have Bertie Wooster's face to me, or asking permission to shout hurrah loudly.
Even tho I knew him first from Blackadder, his work on House ended up completely transforming him to me. Undoubtedly that's because of our respective cultural locations.
"Ain't no party like an S Club party!'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Wolter

Post by Wolter »

Silent Majority wrote:
Wolter wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:
The Reverse Madonna.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Wolter wrote:
02 Sep 2019, 1:26pm
The Reverse Madonna.
I was halfway thinking about her last week, wondering about her legacy. More to the point, in the 80s she was acknowledged as significant musical and cultural force, as some kind of subversive feminist icon and/or postmodern self-promoter, and as a Bowie-esque musical chameleon. But she's been fairly irrelevant for around twenty years now. Does that require downgrading her significance historically, that she was a creature of her time rather than one who bent the world to her whims? Her bag of tricks was a lot more finite than assumed back even in the early 90s, but how much does that mean to her legacy?

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Wolter wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:
Wolter wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:
The Reverse Madonna.
I haven't seen it since I was a kid, but I remember liking him in Mel Brooks' Robin Hood: Men In Tights.

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Wolter

Post by Wolter »

Silent Majority wrote:
02 Sep 2019, 2:27pm
Wolter wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:
Wolter wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:
The Reverse Madonna.
I haven't seen it since I was a kid, but I remember liking him in Mel Brooks' Robin Hood: Men In Tights.
He’s fairly charming. The movie sucks.

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

57) Common Sense - Thomas Paine. Audiobook. I found myself smiling through this, as uncompromising prose rang down the centuries. I can easily picture myself reading this over the shoulder of a landowner in Philadelphia as he is radicalised in 1776. Paine is an internationalist and, based on his predictions in here, pretty much a prophet.

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Finished American Carnage this evening. Yup, it's centrist wanking. Poor Paul Ryan. And, watch out, America, for those crazy Tea Partiers on the left, AOC and Tlaib, who are going to destroy the Democrats. It's got the intellectual depth of Thomas Friedman and David Brooks, tsk tsking for not letting serious wealthy men do the nation's business because they know America and what's best for it. Zero consideration that the centrism that he so venerates generated the dissatisfaction because it serves the elite. I mean, Jesus fucking Christ, it's not exactly a revelation that the postwar consensus generated its own destruction from the left and right. That's how this shit goes. But, no, the failure here is not respecting and deferring to the Ryans and Boehners and Bidens.

Starting this tomorrow:
Surely this will improve my mood!

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
02 Sep 2019, 2:25pm
Wolter wrote:
The Reverse Madonna.
I was halfway thinking about her last week, wondering about her legacy. More to the point, in the 80s she was acknowledged as significant musical and cultural force, as some kind of subversive feminist icon and/or postmodern self-promoter, and as a Bowie-esque musical chameleon. But she's been fairly irrelevant for around twenty years now. Does that require downgrading her significance historically, that she was a creature of her time rather than one who bent the world to her whims? Her bag of tricks was a lot more finite than assumed back even in the early 90s, but how much does that mean to her legacy?
She falls well below Kylie at this point.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc