Whatcha reading?

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: Whatcha reading?

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Got the new Brubaker/Phillips Reckless book today and gobble it up. Another solid noir piece, but even better it focuses on Anna, a character I adore. Seriously, folks, if you haven't been reading their Reckless series, you're missing some fucking fantastic noir stories.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Joe Public
Ayatollah of Rock 'n' Rolla

Post by Joe Public »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
15 Jun 2022, 7:35pm
Seriously, folks, if you haven't been reading their Reckless series, you're missing some fucking fantastic noir stories.
...And some wonderfully lurid cover art, apparently, as well
You gotta give the people something good to read...

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Joe Public wrote:
16 Jun 2022, 8:18am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Seriously, folks, if you haven't been reading their Reckless series, you're missing some fucking fantastic noir stories.
...And some wonderfully lurid cover art, apparently, as well
Very much emulating 70s, early 80s era pulps (which, no surprise, is when these stories are set).
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Joe Public
Ayatollah of Rock 'n' Rolla

Post by Joe Public »

Speaking of cover art, THIS tome is entertaining as all heck:
Hendrix also wrote 'Horrorstor' (there's an umlaut somewhere in there), a clever and entertaining story that lampoons IKEA (still my benevolent employers of over nine years, and is presented in a book that resembles an IKEA catalogue:
You gotta give the people something good to read...

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

Joe Public wrote:
16 Jun 2022, 8:26am
Hendrix also wrote 'Horrorstor' (there's an umlaut somewhere in there), a clever and entertaining story that lampoons IKEA (still my benevolent employers of over nine years, and is presented in a book that resembles an IKEA catalogue:
Loved the fuck out of Paperbacks From Hell. Left me wanting to read all of the titles mentioned.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Joe Public wrote:
16 Jun 2022, 8:26am

I've got some books that deal with the early years of paperbacks (the 40s and 50s) and the absolutely alluring cover art (in the biz, the shittiest books received the most enticing covers, to grab readers where word-of-mouth would warn them off).

I had a large poster made up of this:

And, yeah, it's not a very good j.d. novel.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
Got the new Brubaker/Phillips Reckless book today and gobble it up. Another solid noir piece, but even better it focuses on Anna, a character I adore. Seriously, folks, if you haven't been reading their Reckless series, you're missing some fucking fantastic noir stories.
This one was great. I'm really liking that they're able to just release full stories rather than monthlies, which I find are detrimental to storytelling (much as I look forward to my weekly visit to the shop). By the time the next installment rolls around, I have to go back and re-read last month's issue. I'm glad I was able to add this to my Brubaker hardcover collection.
380DF9FA-828B-433C-BD6E-0D0CD43275AB.jpeg
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
16 Jun 2022, 1:20pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
This one was great. I'm really liking that they're able to just release full stories rather than monthlies, which I find are detrimental to storytelling (much as I look forward to my weekly visit to the shop). By the time the next installment rolls around, I have to go back and re-read last month's issue. I'm glad I was able to add this to my Brubaker hardcover collection.

Dang, I have all those, but most are in softcover. In didn't see Sleeper in the shot. If you don't have it, you really should get it. I think that was the first Brubaker/Phillips comic I read. It'd make a fantastic tv adaptation a la The Boys.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
16 Jun 2022, 1:26pm
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Dang, I have all those, but most are in softcover. In didn't see Sleeper in the shot. If you don't have it, you really should get it. I think that was the first Brubaker/Phillips comic I read. It'd make a fantastic tv adaptation a la The Boys.
Sleeper is the really large one on the far left with the Saul Bass hand reaching down from the top. The title is being obscured by the reflection from my ceiling light. It was definitely the hardest one to find in an affordable used hardcover—even the paperback version of volume 2 is out of print and really spendy.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
16 Jun 2022, 1:30pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Sleeper is the really large one on the far left with the Saul Bass hand reaching down from the top. The title is being obscured by the reflection from my ceiling light. It was definitely the hardest one to find in an affordable used hardcover—even the paperback version of volume 2 is out of print and really spendy.
Whoops, I see that now. You could hunt down Deadenders, a sort of post-apocalyptic Quadrophenia (tho that makes it sound cooler than it is). As I recall, it got cancelled prematurely and had to be wrapped up quickly. But even so, I didn't find it that compelling.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
16 Jun 2022, 1:35pm
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Whoops, I see that now. You could hunt down Deadenders, a sort of post-apocalyptic Quadrophenia (tho that makes it sound cooler than it is). As I recall, it got cancelled prematurely and had to be wrapped up quickly. But even so, I didn't find it that compelling.
Yeah I have that one at the Tucson house, I agree it wasn't that great—I don't even remember what happens in it. Within that "genre" I liked The Originals by Dave Gibbons a little better.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
16 Jun 2022, 1:51pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:

Yeah I have that one at the Tucson house, I agree it wasn't that great—I don't even remember what happens in it. Within that "genre" I liked The Originals by Dave Gibbons a little better.
Something to with a scientific experiment gone wrong that eliminates sunlight, so access to artificial light is how society is divvied up. The main character has visions of a world with natural light and tries to undo things. *shrug*

Fatale is another series that screams tv series. Kind of like Fargo, each season is dedicated to one storyline from a different time period.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
16 Jun 2022, 2:05pm
Kory wrote:
16 Jun 2022, 1:51pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Something to with a scientific experiment gone wrong that eliminates sunlight, so access to artificial light is how society is divvied up. The main character has visions of a world with natural light and tries to undo things. *shrug*

Fatale is another series that screams tv series. Kind of like Fargo, each season is dedicated to one storyline from a different time period.
I'm really surprised nothing of his has been adapted yet. With the quality of his work and as long as he's been around, it seems strange that his first foray into television has been this Too Old to Die Young project with Nicolas Winding Refn.

My newest acquisition is an omnibus of the Catwoman run he did with Cooke. Really looking forward to that, and I'm not a DC guy at all.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
16 Jun 2022, 2:41pm
I'm really surprised nothing of his has been adapted yet. With the quality of his work and as long as he's been around, it seems strange that his first foray into television has been this Too Old to Die Young project with Nicolas Winding Refn.
Brubaker and Phillips' presentation is so cinematic that it lends itself to imagining an adaptation. Really a head-scratcher.
My newest acquisition is an omnibus of the Catwoman run he did with Cooke. Really looking forward to that, and I'm not a DC guy at all.
It's not Brubaker's best writing, but worth it for Cooke's gorgeous art.

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

77) Extreme Ownership: How U.S. Navy SEALs Lead and Win - Jocko Willink and Leif Babin. Audiobook. 2015. Pretty decent advice here gleaned from killing an inordinate amount of Iraqis and the occasional accidental American GI, for a treat.

78) Johnny Carson - Henry Bushkin. Audiobook. 2013. Not a biography but a memoir written by Carson's long time lawyer and business partner who saw the iconic TV host at his breaking and entering, pistol packing, wife defaming worst but is still clearly very charmed by Carson.

79) Too Fat to Fish - Artie Lange. Kindle. 2008. Neither funny nor interesting and with 90% less Norm MacDonald stories than I'd hoped for. Lange writes like a guy currently addicted to cocaine who's selling you on his honest recovery like a friend who swears up and down he just needs £40.00 to cover an unexpected electric bill. Completely unsatisfying, with no understanding of what parts of his career are interesting or ability to make being high and running from the cops with a hooker compelling. Might be the Golden Raspberry for Worst Book of 2022.

80) Total Recall: My Unbelievably True Life Story - Arnold Schwarzenegger. Audiobook. First and last chapter read by the author, the rest read by a guy who sounds like Niles Crane. 2012. A few cool anecdotes, mostly from his bodybuilding days where his passion is pretty untrammeled. Once he becomes a movie star, there's fun to be had seeing things from the top of the tree but he is an arrogant blockhead, always in the right with his massive ego-driven poor decisions elided over. His memories of the Kennedys may be pushing me back into a phase of reading about that political family again, so I like that. His awful Governorship of California is written about as a massive success, the latest in a long line.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/