Whatcha reading?

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Kory
Unknown Immortal

Re: Whatcha reading?

Post by Kory »

Is CK our most famous member? Among people who actually post, I suppose.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

I’d say Kaleb.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
27 Jul 2021, 1:09pm
Is CK our most famous member? Among people who actually post, I suppose.
Fame being a very relative thing, of course, yeah, probably Chris as he's published a fair bit, paper and digital, and been cited by others in his area.
"Grab some wood, bub.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

I'm gonna say Vince

Addendum: that citation of CK is super cool
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

There's also AZA, who is an acclaimed movie director.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

JennyB wrote:
28 Jul 2021, 9:03am
There's also AZA, who is an acclaimed movie director.
I think you've got bingo.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Finished listening to Savage's 1966. To the good, it's much better than most of these "year that everything changed" books, with Savage building thick and rich connections between popular entertainment (chiefly music) and cultural, social, and political trends. It's especially satisfying because of its emphasis on the UK, which these books tend not to do (i.e., the US gets most of the attention in other accounts). Yet I'm not persuaded by the argument that 1966 was the key year here, in no small part because he doesn't seek to downplay the significance of, say, 1965 or 1967. Is 1966 important? Yup. Is it the year that changed the course of the decade? I dunno, maybe? So as satisfying as his narratives are, I'm not seeing the greater claim over other years. Which is always a problem with these "year" books. One other annoyance is something exclusive to the audio version, which is performed by a Limey who has pronunciations that should have been corrected but weren't (e.g., it's Betty Frih-DAN, not FREE-dun). Nevertheless, recommended.

Up next:
This is a total popcorn book for me, the satisfying thin nutrition of exasperation. I don't expect much of this but head-shaking anecdotes, but whatever.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

I've started reading Kafka and I'm getting mired in translation FOMO. This is why I prefer an author to translate their own work, like Nabokov.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
06 Aug 2021, 1:16pm
I've started reading Kafka and I'm getting mired in translation FOMO. This is why I prefer an author to translate their own work, like Nabokov.
I had a friend who wouldn't listen to audio books unless it was the author reading it. We argued about interpretation a lot and while he grudgingly acknowledged that there is no single correct interpretation, he still fudged it by saying the writer's interpretation was more correct than others. So another party performing it for an audio version was necessarily inferior to the writer doing it, even if the other person is a skilled voice artist.

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
06 Aug 2021, 1:45pm
I had a friend who wouldn't listen to audio books unless it was the author reading it. We argued about interpretation a lot and while he grudgingly acknowledged that there is no single correct interpretation, he still fudged it by saying the writer's interpretation was more correct than others. So another party performing it for an audio version was necessarily inferior to the writer doing it, even if the other person is a skilled voice artist.
Your friend sounds like he's a blast at parties.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
06 Aug 2021, 1:48pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Your friend sounds like he's a blast at parties.
Back when he still drank, he was fun. But he had an especially romantic view of the artist-as-genius (even if he'd never acknowledge it).

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
I mean I still read the translations of others, but when they all argue over the translation of one word, it really makes you wish the author was around to settle it.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
06 Aug 2021, 2:58pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
I mean I still read the translations of others, but when they all argue over the translation of one word, it really makes you wish the author was around to settle it.
It's nothing I've ever gotten too hung up about because it's all a process of interpretation, that reading is a creative exercise. I'm working with the text, whatever it is, so some kind of fidelity to the author isn't that important to me. But I'm massively on the side of the audience in these kinds of arguments.

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

Kory wrote:
I love the recent re-translation of the Trial's opening line; "Without really doing anything wrong." Lovely, ambivalent take that changes the whole story.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Silent Majority wrote:
07 Aug 2021, 2:58am
Kory wrote:
I love the recent re-translation of the Trial's opening line; "Without really doing anything wrong." Lovely, ambivalent take that changes the whole story.
Exactly, this is what I’m talking about!