Thread O'Booze REVISED!

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Re: Thread O'Booze REVISED!

Post by Marky Dread »

Shit mustn't forget The Nils they're fucking great.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

revbob wrote:
21 Jan 2021, 9:01pm
Heston wrote:
21 Jan 2021, 8:52pm
I have no favourite Canadian bands. That isn't getting at Canada, they just have no good bands.
I would have pegged you as a Loverboy fan, and of the less adventurous Rush material.
I do like about 4 Rush songs. I tried to get into them as a young heavy rocker, but his absurd voice and their 13 minute songs put me off straight away. Spirit of Radio is legit great.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Heston wrote:
21 Jan 2021, 9:05pm
revbob wrote:
Heston wrote:
I have no favourite Canadian bands. That isn't getting at Canada, they just have no good bands.
I would have pegged you as a Loverboy fan, and of the less adventurous Rush material.
I do like about 4 Rush songs. I tried to get into them as a young heavy rocker, but his absurd voice and their 13 minute songs put me off straight away. Spirit of Radio is legit great.
I don't mind the Grace Under Pressure album.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Heston

Post by Heston »

I fully accept there will be good Canadian bands out there, but if we're thinking of bands that have left a big mark in the musical world, it's scraps. It's quite puzzling if you think about it.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Heston wrote:
21 Jan 2021, 9:11pm
I fully accept there will be good Canadian bands out there, but if we're thinking of bands that have left a big mark in the musical world, it's scraps. It's quite puzzling if you think about it.
But you don't need to leave a big mark to make good music and affect a few people. You of all people should know the importance of that.

I swear if your band had been around in '78 '79 you would've sold bucket loads of records.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Shadowy Men on a Shadowy Planet were cool. Mostly instrumental, mostly surf rock, their most famous song was used by Kids in the Hall:
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Heston

Post by Heston »

Marky Dread wrote:
21 Jan 2021, 9:20pm
Heston wrote:
But you don't need to leave a big mark to make good music and affect a few people. You of all people should know the importance of that.

I swear if your band had been around in '78 '79 you would've sold bucket loads of records.
I get your point mate, but as a large country, Canada hasn't really delivered the musical goods. I'm sorry if it sounds disparaging but their track record really isn't the greatest.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Heston wrote:
21 Jan 2021, 9:39pm
Marky Dread wrote:
21 Jan 2021, 9:20pm
Heston wrote:

I get your point mate, but as a large country, Canada hasn't really delivered the musical goods. I'm sorry if it sounds disparaging but their track record really isn't the greatest.
It's true. But I like a fair few bands from Canada that haven't really set the workd on fire.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Another band I like...

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

I dig some Buffalo Springfield also.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Heston

Post by Heston »

Hey, the North East is the Canada of the UK. I think our biggest claim to fame is Sting and Jimmy Nail. I've no right to talk.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Heston wrote:
21 Jan 2021, 9:05pm
revbob wrote:
Heston wrote:
One has to wonder how bad the other two's voices were.

As for big name Canadian artists, I know you dont like him but Neil Young. And Rush were huge in the US in the 80s.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Also, while Canada covers a lot of territory the major population centers are mostly in the southern part of the country and not far from the US border and make up a fraction of the entire land mass.

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

I’m just happy He’s correctly identifies Arcade Fire as American.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Kimmelweck
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by Kimmelweck »

I had a friend in high school in the 80s who was an absolute Bryan Adams fanatic. He had a black mullet with short spiky gelled top, walked around in a Leafs windbreaker, and his favorite hobby was shoplifting.